TE GB South P3D v4 Stuttering/slowing performance issue

Dreamsofwings1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Am still testing...but, have changed my nvidia settings where appropriate from ‘High quality to high performance’...there appears to be a lot of load on the GPU with this scenery at the moment...also reduced autogen draw distance significantly to medium...vis at 30ml...one layer of cumulus at base 5700 to tops 17k...trying to figure out if one or more of my settings has made this improvement...

Ah interesting idea.  You changed the nvidia setting in nvidia inspector?  I think mine is set to “quality’

1 hour ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Am still testing...but, have changed my nvidia settings where appropriate from ‘High quality to high performance’...there appears to be a lot of load on the GPU with this scenery at the moment...also reduced autogen draw distance significantly to medium...vis at 30ml...one layer of cumulus at base 5700 to tops 17k...trying to figure out if one or more of my settings has made this improvement...

Ok I have just changed my setting in Nvidia Inspector from Quality to Performance and this has made a significant difference for me.  Taking off from Goodwood I had no blurries.  Flying towards Portsmouth the scenery doesn't really sharpen up fully until it is right under the aircraft but they it feeds in as you fly is certainly better than it was before.  I had one moment approaching Portsmouth, when the sim started to load in autogen, when it all went downhill again and I got blurries along with some stuttering but once the autogen had loaded it was smooth flying again. I was able to fly abeam Portsmouth following the M27 and although I was still seeing the scenery finally sharpen under the aircraft, the view out was good enough that I could navigate AND enjoy the view.  I was even able to dial up my FPS cap to 30 and it was still smooth, rarely dipping below apart from the point where I hit an airborne treacle cloud on approaching Portsmouth.

Capt Pugwash, you have made a significant find sir! :) 

This along with Flying_fish's  settings above could well be enough to make this flyable until anything else comes along in the way of an SP, or P3Dv4.5...….or the Sim Fairy.

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this so far by the way!  Looks like we've really made forward steps to getting this working better.

Meanwhile I am heading North to FTX EU Scotland and ORBX Sumburgh to let off some steam after all this tinkering with settings lol

g2H62ea.jpg

1 hour ago, Dreamsofwings1 said:

Ok I have just changed my setting in Nvidia Inspector from Quality to Performance and this has made a significant difference for me.  Taking off from Goodwood I had no blurries.  Flying towards Portsmouth the scenery doesn't really sharpen up fully until it is right under the aircraft but they it feeds in as you fly is certainly better than it was before.  I had one moment approaching Portsmouth, when the sim started to load in autogen, when it all went downhill again and I got blurries along with some stuttering but once the autogen had loaded it was smooth flying again. I was able to fly abeam Portsmouth following the M27 and although I was still seeing the scenery finally sharpen under the aircraft, the view out was good enough that I could navigate AND enjoy the view.  I was even able to dial up my FPS cap to 30 and it was still smooth, rarely dipping below apart from the point where I hit an airborne treacle cloud on approaching Portsmouth.

Capt Pugwash, you have made a significant find sir! :) 

This along with Flying_fish's  settings above could well be enough to make this flyable until anything else comes along in the way of an SP, or P3Dv4.5...….or the Sim Fairy.

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this so far by the way!  Looks like we've really made forward steps to getting this working better.

Meanwhile I am heading North to FTX EU Scotland and ORBX Sumburgh to let off some steam after all this tinkering with settings lol

g2H62ea.jpg

I have not played with NVidea Inspector since FSX days so am a little rusty - would you please post your Inspector settings or is it just a case of selecting "Prepare3D" in the profile & editing the from Quality to Performance & leaving the other N/Insp profile as shown?

Just now, bruce e said:

I have not played with NVidea Inspector since FSX days so am a little rusty - would you please post your Inspector settings or is it just a case of selecting "Prepare3D" in the profile & editing the from Quality to Performance & leaving the other N/Insp profile as shown?

Yes it's the only change I have in the default profile right now.  I used to run Vertical Sync has 1/2 refresh rate (my FPS locked in sim to 30 and my monitor is 60hz) but put that back to Use the 3D application setting.

Sure, but keep in mind I use the German flavor thus some wording may be different.

- Open Nvidia Control Panel from the desktop (r.h.s. mouse button)

- In the left pane select "3D settings"

- Next change to the right pane "Program settings" (not the "global" ones)

- Then select a program from the dropdown menu. Either there is alreay an entry for Prepar3d (I think it should)  or choose "add" and navigate to your prepar3d.exe

- Now you should find an entry "texture filtering - quality" for Prepart3. The default is "Quality". Switch this to "High Performance"

- Don't forget to confirm "Apply" at the bottom.

I at least hope that's the entry people are speaking about.

Kind regards, Michael

Quote :

"Texture Filtering - Quality: The available options are High Performance, Performance, Quality and High Quality. This setting determines among other things the level of Anisotropic and Trilinear texture filtering optimizations applied by the Forceware drivers. Generally speaking, the High Performance setting enables all optimizations, meaning slightly lower image quality but the highest level of performance. If you select Performance, some optimizations will be disabled, progressively more if you choose Quality. If you choose High Quality you are assured the highest image quality at the cost of some performance. Unless you have a high-end graphics card and/or want the best possible graphics, Performance mode should be a good balance without any major degradation in image quality."

While I could get to terms with performance quite well, thanks to my own experimenting and some others' findings, I still see two issues: The ground image is still blurry and far from its XP counterpart. Plus, roads are really ugly.

Otherwise, it looks impressive, though.

BTW, It would be helpful (and save some support effort) to integrate the findings in this thread into the manual; the mere general suggestions given there are not sufficient for this scenery.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

While I could get to terms with performance quite well, thanks to my own experimenting and some others' findings, I still see two issues: The ground image is still blurry and far from its XP counterpart. Plus, roads are really ugly.

Otherwise, it looks impressive, though.

BTW, It would be helpful (and save some support effort) to integrate the findings in this thread into the manual; the mere general suggestions given there are not sufficient for this scenery.

Kind regards, Michael

Unfortunately everyone's computer reacts differently so the manual only provides a starting point for individual users to find their own balance of settings.

FPS is fine, it just stutters so badly it makes me angry that I can't figure out what going wrong.  this is on P3D default settings too. I'm  wondering if it a UK 2000 scenery causing an issue. Did any of the Beta testers test this with UK 2000 EGLL, and EGLC installed?

26 minutes ago, FireRx said:

interesting let me try that performance setting. I was about to give up and ask how to turn off TE for now. :huh:

Autogen + Scenery Draw Distance Medium, all Shadows off, and fps set to 20, I can fly over London in a C172 with continually  20fps and nearly no stutters. Includes Simwings EGLL and UK2000 EGLC. Most other settings maxed or close to. 

With Autogen + Scenery Draw Distance High it was unusable.  The modified setting nearly doubles fps for me. Plus, it doesn't look actually bad as with the Medium setting autogen fades in softly, while it tends to pop in otherweise.  That's on my system yours may differ, of course. 

I agree to Kai, the ground image is still lacking, though. I am afraid it's the high compression compared to XP.

Kind regards, Michael

12 minutes ago, pmb said:

I am afraid it's the high compression compared to XP.

...translate for a beginner please?

I don't have XP11, so can't compare, but what I'm seeing (over countryside)  now that I have things optimised is that for periods textures load 'softly' as you say, but then resource monitor shows all 7 cores grow to 100% and textures blur. It takes a minute or two then they load. Over denser autogen areas the frequency of demand increases.

It's almost working for me, but at quite a price.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

manual only provides a starting point for individual users

But as we've said John, the manual guidance on settings hasn't been updated to reflect the changes in terms now used in P3Dv4 graphics options. I agree with Michael, it's a small ask to at least get them in line, with perhaps a section on tuning down for best performance?

24 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

It's a question of space. When times will come where HDD's/SSD's will have capacities of about ten or more Terrabytes and they are payable, so that they become standard, then pictures don't have to be compressed so much. In that case TEGBS would need, e.g. 500GB space instead of 77GB.

It is like in photoshop: saving a picture as jpg you have the slider to make the size smaller. But the picture will not have the same quality than it would be larger.

Kai

18 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

I don't have XP11, so can't compare, but what I'm seeing (over countryside)  now that I have things optimised is that for periods textures load 'softly' as you say, but then resource monitor shows all 7 cores grow to 100% and textures blur. It takes a minute or two then they load. Over denser autogen areas the frequency of demand increases.

It's almost working for me, but at quite a price.

With "High compression", I was referring to the fact that the scenery is half the size of its X-Plane counterpart. As John mentioned, this is possible as the bgl format allows higher compression than the corresponding XP format. In most cases higher compression comes at a price,  which might be lower visible image quality.

That's just a conjecture though, and I might be wrong and something else is hindering quality, but there sure is an issue. In this case I would like to learn what it is.

My remark on fading in didn't refer to textures but to the autogen, which sometimes (e.g. on extended flats) tends to pop in under Prepa3d4. It does (generelly, not only in TE) not with Medium and below.

Kind regards, Michael

2 minutes ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

It is like in photoshop: saving a picture as jpg you have the slider to make the size smaller. But the picture will not have the same quality than it would be larger.

Exactly.

Kind regards, Michael

2 minutes ago, flying_fish said:

Understood, thanks both. Is that why I'm seeing such high CPU demands (all 7 cores at 100%) every few minutes as ground textures 'decompress'?

Which CPU do you have? Whats it running at? What addons are in use?

Archived