No.6 in the UK Area of Natural Beauty (AONB) Series

flsm (Frank)

Join me in a tour of the designated AONBs - Areas of Natural Beauty - in the UK.

Flying the only way I can afford to see them with Qantas - in my Cessna 172!

Low and slow, 2nd stage of flaps, 2200 rpm, 80 knots, 1000 feet AGL.

Using Orbx True Earth Great Britain.

Read about the AONBs at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_Outstanding_Natural_Beauty

No. 6 - Clwydian Range & Dee Valley on the England/North Wales border.  Cheers.  (Click & full-screen for best pics.)

Early morning departure from Hawarden Airport - you can see the Airbus component manufacturing factories under the right wheel and above the left wheel of the aircraft.

qSrsdpU.jpg

Down to the mouth of the River Dee and Flintshire Bridge.

CfNMH8A.jpg

Interesting rock formations.

teKSZGO.jpg

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.

5Tj8oPu.jpg

Beautiful woods and valleys.

hAHB4y7.jpg

Barren hills and Iron-Age Hilltop Forts.

yJwZ2Yy.jpg

Enjoyed myself so much almost forgot about last-light!

3w7iV9M.jpg

Shot 3 (Interesting rock formations) is Eglwseg Rocks just to the north of Llangollen.

My father was once vicar there and I lived there for a couple of years. There was a story that the Luftwaffe mistakenly bombed these rocks on an intended raid on Liverpool. I can find nothing on the internet to corroborate this!

Shot 4 (Pontcysyllte Aqueduct)

Became UNESCO World Heritage Site listed in 2009. Very impressive to cross the Dee Valley in a narrowboat!

Shot 2 - no that is not Battersea Power station relocated from London to Flinthshire - "pigs might fly"!

Chris

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That bridge shot is epic in the second one.  Is that the iconic power station that Pink Floyd used?

Thanks Jack.  Pink Floyd used the even more famous Battersea Power Station in London, as mentioned by Pinza above.  I know this because I had to ask my wife to remind me who Pink Floyd was (!!!) and then I Googled it out of interest!  Cheers.

Excellent as always Frank.:)

I so look forward to your series - the commentary is interesting, informative and engaging and your screenshots are not only spectacular

but are always "spot on" when it comes to highlighting the scenery that you are showing on the journey.

Pleased keep doing these :):):)

Cheers

R

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Curious about the flaps.

Thanks olderndirt.  Second stage (20 degrees) of flaps and about 2,200 rpm gives about 80 knots and this is a typical configuration for this model of Cessna 172 for “low and slow” flight.  I also learnt, or was reminded, on my last 2-yearly flight review, to my embarassmenent, that it is also the configuration to adopt in moderare to severe turbulance.  Cheers.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, flsm (Frank) said:

Thanks olderndirt.  Second stage (20 degrees) of flaps and about 2,200 rpm gives about 80 knots and this is a typical configuration for this model of Cessna 172 for “low and slow” flight.  I also learnt, or was reminded, on my last 2-yearly flight review, to my embarassmenent, that it is also the configuration to adopt in moderare to severe turbulance.  Cheers.

I had a hunch you were doing it on purpose.  A few times flaps came in handy for me were reduced visibility, where the speed reduction appeared to help the visibilty then just general hunting for moose - some flap and about 2100 rpm in a Cub (back when flying the same day you shot was still legal in Alaska) - finally, in a mock dog fight, my old fighter pilot mentor advised use the flaps to tighten the turn.  Of course, in XPane, you'd immediately make a burnt spot on the ground.

Archived