Difficult airports

Has anyone tried to fly into WA79 Walter Suttons Private Strip?  

I nominate this one as the most difficult (a) to find and (b) to land on the runway.  Pardon.  What runway?  I think the idea is you have to imagine it!

I knocked on the door of his house to ask but he wasn't home.:rollmyeyes:

On 12/1/2018 at 6:27 AM, JohnY said:

Has anyone tried to fly into WA79 Walter Suttons Private Strip?  

I nominate this one as the most difficult (a) to find and (b) to land on the runway.  Pardon.  What runway?  I think the idea is you have to imagine it!

I knocked on the door of his house to ask but he wasn't home.:rollmyeyes:

As I recall from FSX, their are two Walts on that software - one strip is just a straight stretch in the road but the other more sophisticated.  It does have marker balls on power lines short final - something to aim at :).

One of my all time favorites!   I usually head for the lake, turn over the dam, check that Tumtum Mt is on my left, look for the big lumber yard and try not to get tangled up in the wire with the orange balls.  The hardest one is the little strip nearby that is like a road by someones house.  Very hard to spot!

Oh, I see.  Its the one where Rob lives,  Sorry to be a bit thick.  I don't think Orbx has done that one though.

Oops.  Yes they have.  I just haven't got it.  Frankly, from what Rob writes, I don't think I want it either.

John

John, the airport I was writing about is Walter Sutton's (WA79) in the PNW area, not too far North of Portland, OR.  Redding (KRDD) was done by Jarrard Marshall and the entire city of Redding is in PR detail and nice easy approaches.  Also Benton is modeled as well, sits on a hilltop.  I was lucky enough to take the photos Jarrard used to model  the airports.

15 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

......... Redding (KRDD) was done by Jarrard Marshall and the entire city of Redding is in PR detail and nice easy approaches.  Also Benton is modeled as well, sits on a hilltop .......

Don't forget the ultra detailed rendition of Mercy Medical center helipad. What a piece of art.

OK - I've got Redding now.  Can't have a look yet cos' I'm getting rid of a load of files on a couple of old backup discs and its taking forever!

Flying into KBZN Gallatin Boseman from KEGE Eagle Co Regional as you get closer you have to go over quite high mountains which are in fact some 20 miles from the airport approach.  Don't you just love it when ATC manages to give altitude orders but fails to take into account of how high the bloody mountains are!

If you take notice of these orders, you crash into the sides of them, or worse, have to fly along the valley's ignoring the instructions.  And yet, I always fall for it.  Retaining my altitude of 16000' would get me over all of them and still enable to get down for a reasonably easy approach!

Will I ever learn?!!!

I didn't know that Olderndirt.  Thank you.  The problem is ATC.  It keeps nagging you to come down to an altitude that's below the mountains!  I can't believe they do that in real life?

17 hours ago, JohnY said:

I didn't know that Olderndirt.  Thank you.  The problem is ATC.  It keeps nagging you to come down to an altitude that's below the mountains!  I can't believe they do that in real life?

I always worked in the approach environment where we had minimum vectoring altitudes based on terrain and I'm sure centers have something similar.  In a non-radar environment fly altitudes assigned by a controller or as depicted on the chart, whichever is higher :).

In my opinion, It's the best Dadtom65, even though, like all the ATC's you have to watch them in regards to altitude instructions and they are usually spot on, but like them all I think, when it comes to descending on approach over mountains you have to watch it in case they give the descent instructions too soon.  Incidentally, default P3Dv3.4 is no better!

Incidentally, PF3 has a 'try before you buy' scheme so why not give it a go.  Just don't pinch my lady co-pilot Sue who has a lovely well educated English voice.;)

2 hours ago, JohnY said:

In my opinion, It's the best Dadtom65, even though, like all the ATC's you have to watch them in regards to altitude instructions and they are usually spot on, but like them all I think, when it comes to descending on approach over mountains you have to watch it in case they give the descent instructions too soon.  Incidentally, default P3Dv3.4 is no better!

Incidentally, PF3 has a 'try before you buy' scheme so why not give it a go.  Just don't pinch my lady co-pilot Sue who has a lovely well educated English voice.;)

Usually if you're issued a clearance it'll include "cleared for" or descend and maintain" with an altitude restriction "cross such and such at or above.............."

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, Dadtom65 said:

Hi John are you saying PF3 is telling telling you to decend into mountains ? That was a piece of software that was on my wish list. I thought that was one of the better ones. Derek.

Hi Folks,

I don't think any ATC program is "terrain aware" so they need some help in mountainous areas...

Regards,
Scott

Just landed a CYSE Squamish r/w 14.   Anyone who lives in this beautiful part of Canada must be both an isolationist and mad.  Definitely a place for masochists!

I expect it's nicer in the summer when its not snowing and freezing cold.   Oh, and by the way, will someone please shoot that dog!:rollmyeyes:

Archived