Over the Kimberley's A Struggling Dream

macca22au

Australians have always dreamed of making the desert bloom, and creating a food-bowl for Asia.

In the 50's the Argyle Dam was built and over stages the Ord River scheme, based around Kunnanura, was developed.

But massive unthought through problems have hindered the scheme all the way...saline groundwaters, tropical plant crops and pests.  Most of the broad-acre plantings of rice, grains and cotton have failed by providing huge feasts for marauding pests.

The areas of cultivation down the river towards Wyndham on the Kimberley Coast

WkNnTdf.jpg

And then our 789 flies us clear of the Kimberley's on the way to test the newly released airport at Changi.

RglK6ZO.jpg

Oh JV, we really need the revised full-fat Australia.  These remote areas are full of features that simmers would enjoy, and the repetitive texture panels are just too prosaic for a great continent.

Yes having been involved in the development of irrigated agriculture both on the Fitzroy and the Ord rivers right from clearing the land and setting up the first irrigated crops I too am looking forward to seeing more detail in this wonderfull area of Oz,keep up the great work JV,Doc…….

Doc44, I wasn't trying to be a smarty; as a university geography lecturer at the time, I was and still am utterly fascinated by the challenges thrown up by the schemes. Water quality and pests seemed to create endless challenge, and I suspect transport costs, power etc.  Unlike many of the US states we baulk at the continuous high level of investment needed to make such schemes successful...I hope that you were not too badly affected by your involvement or maybe you worked out the right crops to grow.  I salute you.

Archived