Hoping it holds

VH-KDK

Hey VH-KDK. The Mitchells of WWII flew in the North Atlantic, over the Channel, across wintertime Europe, and in North Africa and the Med. In everything from the frozen storms of Greenland to the superheated reaches of Libya, they performed well. The Curtiss-Wright engines were reliable, the North American design and manufacture were stable, the pilots loved them. The only downside in heavy weather was the effort needed on the controls. Even in good weather, WWII bombers flew "heavy," that is, they required arm and leg strength. The Mitchell was no exception. Stories are told of pilots being unable to stand after wrestling the controls in bad weather for many hours. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey VH-KDK. The Mitchells of WWII flew in the North Atlantic, over the Channel, across wintertime Europe, and in North Africa and the Med. In everything from the frozen storms of Greenland to the superheated reaches of Libya, they performed well. The Curtiss-Wright engines were reliable, the North American design and manufacture were stable, the pilots loved them. The only downside in heavy weather was the effort needed on the controls. Even in good weather, WWII bombers flew "heavy," that is, they required arm and leg strength. The Mitchell was no exception. Stories are told of pilots being unable to stand after wrestling the controls in bad weather for many hours. 

Thanks Rodger for keeping alive these super human exploits of so many brave people. 

They drank real milk in those days!:lol::lol::lol:

An interesting book is Pathfinder, the autobiography of Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennett, who was involved in setting up the Atlantic Ferry Organisation during WW2.

A fascinating read and a very skilled aviator.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I like that Martyn, and I like the fuel drums there.  Something you'd never see something like a 737 needing.

Cheers Jack, I wouldn't fancy hand cranking 7000 gallons of fuel into a 737!:o

The drums are a nice touch though aren't they.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Nice shot. I thought you might of been heading to Scotland when I read your post "aboot" very Scottish mate LOL :lol: 

Thanks Don, I was practicing for when I land on Canadian soil later!:huh:

You have to make the effort to speak the local language.:lol:

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Rodger for keeping alive these super human exploits of so many brave people. 

They drank real milk in those days!:lol::lol::lol:

An interesting book is Pathfinder, the autobiography of Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennett, who was involved in setting up the Atlantic Ferry Organisation during WW2.

A fascinating read and a very skilled aviator.

Thanks for the reference. That ferry run was quite a feat.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks for the reference. That ferry run was quite a feat.

When you consider it was only just over 30 years since the first Atlantic crossing by air it was an incredible effort.

Archived