Challenging approach - Launceston

captainbluesky

A sucker trap is when you fly toward a line of weather, believe you see a gap of clearer sky, turn to it, and when you arrive find it filled with active weather.

If it is thundery weather those cells have enormous energy.

I did it once flying over the Hay Plain at night, needed to get back home urgently,  thought I had a gap and I was suckered right in, and before I knew it I was in real trouble.  It was a basic Seneca so I had an interesting 10 minutes.  When the storm got me, I left the plane on heading hold, disconnected altitude hold and worked the throttles as the draughts took me up and down.  There was some hail, but gratefully none of the lightning struck the plane. Fortunately the line of storms was quite narrow, otherwise my trousers would have needed changing urgently or I might have become another statistic, used as an example by flying instructors.

1 hour ago, macca22au said:

A sucker trap is when you fly toward a line of weather, believe you see a gap of clearer sky, turn to it, and when you arrive find it filled with active weather.

I did it once flying over the Hay Plain at night, needed to get back home urgently,  thought I had a gap and I was suckered right in, and before I knew it I was in real trouble.  It was a basic Seneca so I had an interesting 10 minutes.  When the storm got me, I left the plane on heading hold, disconnected altitude hold and worked the throttles as the draughts took me up and down.  There was some hail, but gratefully none of the lightning struck the plane. Fortunately the line of storms was quite narrow, otherwise my trousers would have needed changing urgently or I might have become another statistic, used as an example by flying instructors.

That's quite an experience, macca22au. Glad it was you and not me (no offense). Thanks for the clarification.

8 hours ago, macca22au said:

Holy mackerel Ian.  Thank goodness you made it out okay!

Archived