'Round the World in the Connie - SA and Africa

mglan80

Had enough Netherlands yet?!  Yeah, me neither.  No True Earth here, but the openLC of South America is still a great product of which I've only just scratched the surface.

This is a continuation of the 'round the world trip in the A2A Constellation.  Started in Canberra and currently in Nigeria, so just about halfway.  I've always wanted to do an around the world trip, and I thought a great way to do it is in a four engine propliner.  It's been a load of fun so far, but there are some stretches where cruising at 190 knts has left me second guessing my choice!  First post, where I was heading out of the Caribbean and into South America, is here.  I'll get around to posting a few other shots to put a compilation together of the first few legs in Australia, the South Pacific and USA.  in the meantime, here's the post for the current day.

This post covers the legs from Simon Bolivar Intl - Venezuela to Jorge Chavez - Lima, Peru - Guarulhos, Sao Paulo, Brazil - Tambo Intl, Johannesburg, S.A. - Murtala Muhammed Intl, Lagos, Nigeria.  The flight plan overviews are below:

**SVMI - SPJC - 1,485 nm**

vCS1oQq.png

**SPJC - SBGR - 1,875 nm**

ggHuD4e.png

**SBGR - FAOR - 4,014 nm**

HhHR3cN.png

**FAOR - DNMM - 2,440 nm**

IAPrrZP.png

No departure shot from Simon Bolivar, but here we're cruising at about FL140 over the plains of eastern Columbia.

IVXdjME.jpg

Not sure what these are, but it looks nice!

16hEoyH.jpg

Still Columbia.  Beautiful country in the sim.  I'd love to visit sometime.

2vqfBFO.jpg

Cut over a brief bit of Brazil and got a glimpse of the rainforest.  Making a turn to set my course over the Andes with dusk falling and chasing a setting sun.

Q3SVVyy.jpg

**So here's the story with the Andes in a vintage propliner.  The Connie can cruise up to FL240 or a bit higher, which clears all but the highest peaks; however, I didn't do as much planning as I should have for this flight and so I arrived about an hour past sunset.  Threading your way through the Andes in pitch dark is not recommended!  ps I cheated a bit and used the time/season preview feature so I didn't explode into Aconcague.

Near the point where I realize the above...

O6PVORe.jpg

I did make it over the Andes and into SPJC late at night.  Not much Orbx love at this field, but a few things here and there were added.  Didn't take any shots since it was well past midnight local time when I arrived and I was just glad to have made it over the mountains!  Here holding short for an arriving LAN A319 (?) prior to departure the next morning. 

nEaNnXY.jpg

Over the city of Lima.  Pretty place.  I'll be back in the Comanche.

S5v3O3K.jpg

Back over those mountains, but in the morning this time.

2tBhFwV.jpg

UgAJjaW.jpg

azDt85g.jpg

zMAyEc4.jpg

Into Brazil and the much wetter side of the continent.

wWaa3fh.jpg

Outskirts of Sao Paulo.  I think it's Aruja.

aIx3oKG.jpg

Departed SBGR at 09:00 on the dot into beautiful weather.  Headded from SBGR to FAOR for the longest leg of the 'round the world. 

2rTNpZg.jpg

This is a bit of Ilha do Mar Virado.  Another trip for the Comanche.  The last bit of land we'll see for a very, very long time.

Mpu5TJ4.jpg

Still over the S. Atlantic...

pcvSRiK.jpg

Needed to make a fuel stop in Keetmanshoop, Namibia. Africa is interesting to begin with, and Global LC helps, but I really am interested to see what comes out of the openLC AF.  Ran into some thunderstorms on my way in.

qfrBgwQ.jpg

Finally on approach into Johannesburg.

0gLrOtH.jpg

Departing FAOR for Lagos.  Not a bad set of scenary for just Global.  Another one for the list for the Comanche.

czIgOM3.jpg

It's pretty country.

JeSqYpn.jpg

DMOR4QI.jpg

VPHqfXq.jpg

Somewhere over Angola.

fBJwBfk.jpg

5k8ATar.jpg

And finally the lights of Lagos on the horizon.

9a1nXlh.jpg

Next up are Accra, Monrovia and then back into Europe for a bit before heading out to the Middle East and then India.

Hope I kept you here through the whole post.  I try to keep them tight if I post, but this one had a lot to cover.  Thanks for taking a look!

Thanks for the comments, gents!  

Jack, it’s a big commitment to do these tours, but it’s fun if you take your time with it. I usually break them up into a few two or three hour chunks on off hours (when family time is at a lull) over a weekend. It’s relaxing to just sit back and listen to those engines drone.

Without v4 I would have never bothered. I’m so thankful OOMs are a thing of the past!!!

5 minutes ago, mglan80 said:

Thanks for the comments, gents!  

Jack, it’s a big commitment to do these tours, but it’s fun if you take your time with it. I usually break them up into a few two or three hour chunks on off hours (when family time is at a lull) over a weekend. It’s relaxing to just sit back and listen to those engines drone.

Without v4 I would have never bothered. I’m so thankful OOMs are a thing of the past!!!

Absolutely, I couldn’t agreed more, those engines can lull me to sleep.  And no more OOM’s, never thought we’d see the day 

Some great shots along your ... rather long distance flight. You cover half of the world in one post - that makes it difficult to keep the comments short!

Good work to cross the Andes in a propliner, especially in darkness :ph34r::D!

Archived