Orbx please take note: YBBN and YMML

Rodneyprice

Orbx you need to do have a look at YBBN AND YMML  , I have a high end computer  intel 8700k @ 4.8 ghz 1080TI and 32 gig of ddr4 ram @ 3200 and both these airports bring my system to its knees and I am not the first to mention this,  all other orbx scenery not a problem , I am not the first to mention this...... I have many of your scenery packs but these two are the worst. 

• Doug Sawatzky changed the title to Orbx please take note: YBBN and YMML

I think that ORBX have had many long hard looks at both these airports!  I know I have in my role as a beta tester.

If you have all sim settings set to maximum then yes, these airports will bring any computer to its knees.  However, by following the suggested settings in the user guides, adequate performance is attainable.  My machine is lower spec than yours but I get quite adequate performance at both airports.

FYI one of thebiggest performance killers is enabling ground shadows, turning them off will often double frame rates.

Hi Rodney, I have to presume that you are using FSX which is a 32 bit program, because of this your main problem is a limited amount of VAS (just search VAS in the search bar there are lots of posts about it). With P3D being a 64 bit program, to my knowledge this VAS problem is now very rare.  Noting that Orbx has no control over Microsoft (FSX) there is little they can do about it.  If you are using FSX then there are a number of steps you can take to improve the situation (again just search VAS in the search bar).

Cheers Dan :)

I am using Prepar 3Dv4.2 , The aircraft I use are pmg 737 777 747 , I don't have all sliders to the far right , all other airports scenery etc have no problems with framerates,

The two mentioned are tough on the computer, I did have the AU AI package though now have uninstalled that to help , and it has a little,

I guess these two airports have a lot going on and I may need to adjust my settings accordingly , I also have many other non orbx airports and they all run great

I have all the global , Open LC , Vector and AU .

I am not trying to point the finger its just ymml for me is my main go to airport and its the one that as I said brings my fairly high end computer to its knees.

One setting that I did notice that can bog a computer down is the amount of cars you set , that is a prepar problem and not orbx

Besides all that I am looking so forward to True earth and hope my computer can handle it.

I have also jumped on the Xplane 11 sim and its great to see orbx involved in that as well.

Keep up the great work orbx , 

Yep, PMDG planes will tax any computer leaving less for the scenery.  So unfortunately when using high end planes sacrifices in scenery must be made.  Conversely, if you just want to enjoy the scenery, the default planes will provide the smoothest ride...

Another item is that do you have any orbx airports near these 2 airports as allowing for the other airports proximity does slow the computer down. I do not have Redcliffe so that YBBN can run better.

Yeah I guess PMDG planes are memory hogs, though there has been other in the past stating that these two particular airports are memory hungry.

Anyway I am not here to criticise , I guess I jumped the gun with my heading.

Time to enjoy some more flying.......

• 3 months later...

Maybe daft, but have yo checked the "Using FTX AUS" in the Vectors Config program inside FTX Central ? I only just noticed this existed !

Also, I have just Level 1 settings for each category (Cars / Statics etc etc) in the YMML control panel - looks fine and never goes below 45 in the Dash 8.

Remember, this airport was designed a loooooong time ago, and is definitely NOT optimised like newer ones - so, you need to be pragmatic, and turn down the settings.

I also use AUS Ai BGL based traffic, at just 25 percent, and ensure that UT Live I switched OFF.

And, don't go mad with the FTX Vectors.... again, just have one notch of Vectors for each category.

OrbX seemed to be obsessed with the U.S for now, so I do not forsee any re-design any time soon. AUS is looking dated, but picked up on a 50 percent sale, imho, it is worth it.

Because it has validity 'per chance' ?

The last two words above are somewhat pretentious, before that is commented on !

Ps and Qs are not something I get obsessed over if you hadn't noticed. I pay a lot of cash for this stuff, so I have a right to express an opinion without being pulled up on every slight critisism !

OMG, its getting like AVSIM .... 

Gabe, you deserve admonishment if you make baiting statements like "obsessed with the US right now".

• We released YBGC Gold Coast International and CityScene Gold Coast only recently. 
  • We are working on a completely new V2 of FTX Australia with significant investment in that project
  • We have a major AU airport coming later this year.
  • We have several new NZ airports coming soon
  • Most of our new products being released are in Europe or other parts of the world, including TrueEarth Netherlands and UK

I am not sure if that seems like a company obsessed with the US.

Paying a lot of cash for our stuff does not give you or anyone else the right to make offending or inaccurate remarks and then compare our forums to AVSIM when you are corrected and rebuffed.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, Rodneyprice said:

Orbx you need to do have a look at YBBN AND YMML  , I have a high end computer  intel 8700k @ 4.8 ghz 1080TI and 32 gig of ddr4 ram @ 3200 and both these airports bring my system to its knees and I am not the first to mention this,  all other orbx scenery not a problem , I am not the first to mention this...... I have many of your scenery packs but these two are the worst. 

My system is slightly worse than yours and I have no issues at all with YMML. Do you have the latest V3 version? The old ones were quite heavy but V3 made it perform really good as well as look better, though the F pier needs cleaning up a bit as it looks messy compared to the rest. 

BNE i agree is dissapointing in performance. I uninstalled it within a few hours and went back to a freeware option. 

I would maybe looking at PMDG here or something else on your machine, because without using that plane, I was just able to obtain 36-40fps at YMML v3 with P3Dv4, Active Sky and AI Traffic running and as my system is of a lower spec to yours; I'm happy with those numbers.

Just for the record, my settings during the test was.....Level of detail radius: Max; Tesselation factor: Ultra, Mesh resolution: 5m; Texture resolution: 7cm, Use high resolution textures: selected, Scenery complexity: Extremely dense; Autogen draw distance: medium; Autogen density: Very dense (both); do not use dynamic 3D vegetation; Reflections: Cloud and User Vehicles only; and high quality Shadows: Casting(Internal and External Vehicle, Clouds and Terrain), Receiving (Internal and External Vehicle only); HDR enabled, Dynamic Lighting enabled; Dynamic reflections: Disabled

Australia v1 and the associated airports are a little long in the tooth now; so it should be expected that they perform a little worse than the products we've seen released in the last couple of years. That said, ORBX have clearly found ways to optimise their products over the years, and I think we often forget that Australia v1 was released about 10 years ago now. 

It's always nice to hear JV confirm that the Australia v2 project is still underway; I'm looking forward to all that it brings, including hopefully a re-work of the existing airports, improved graphics and fps, some performance boosts, and maybe changes to airports that have occurred over the years......... not to mention I'm also hoping that the new Australia airport is Perth International; maybe a Perth cityscape as its so close to the airport, and a re-work of Jandakot too.... one can dream :rolleyes:

I did a fresh install of everything , that includes windows 10  , all seems to be running very nicely now , though in the global vector settings I have turned off all the highways etc and that seems to help the YMML a lot ,  re the major AU airport coming later this year I can only hope it is YSSY , though wont be disappointed if it isn't as any major AU airport for me is a bonus.

Love all the ORBX scenery be P3 and XP  , I own many of them....

10 hours ago, TimS said:

My system is slightly worse than yours and I have no issues at all with YMML. Do you have the latest V3 version? The old ones were quite heavy but V3 made it perform really good as well as look better, though the F pier needs cleaning up a bit as it looks messy compared to the rest. 

BNE i agree is dissapointing in performance. I uninstalled it within a few hours and went back to a freeware option. 

I am running a 2.7 Dual Core with GeForce GT710, FSX Deluxe with ORBx scenery including AUS and Global Base. With tweaked sliders I am getting 15 to 25 fps flying into Melbourne and Brisbane. I have another payware of Sydney and this brings my comp down to a crawl of 4-9 fps. I think you have to be understanding of scenery and computer capabilities and decide how much reality are you prepared to pay for. If you want true to earth, then maybe invest in a $40,000 full blown commercial simulator.

For me, I am happy if I get 15fps on these very busy airports, and I dream of the day I can get an i5 or i7.

Thank you ORBx for making my flying as close to real as I can ATM.

p.s. YPPH ;)

On 8/1/2018 at 8:51 AM, John Venema said:
  • We have several new NZ airports coming soon

That is neat!  What airports, if that's been mentioned?  Is there a topic with this in there somewhere?  I love flying in NZ and would be thrilled to have more airports so I'm fishing for information here :)

-stefan

On 8/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, shortspecialbus said:

That is neat!  What airports, if that's been mentioned?  Is there a topic with this in there somewhere?  I love flying in NZ and would be thrilled to have more airports so I'm fishing for information here :)

-stefan

This is awesome news! I'm only flying in NZ right now, and will jump at any new airports offered, big or small.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 1:32 AM, Lance Arnold said:

I am running a 2.7 Dual Core with GeForce GT710, FSX Deluxe with ORBx scenery including AUS and Global Base. With tweaked sliders I am getting 15 to 25 fps flying into Melbourne and Brisbane. I have another payware of Sydney and this brings my comp down to a crawl of 4-9 fps. I think you have to be understanding of scenery and computer capabilities and decide how much reality are you prepared to pay for. If you want true to earth, then maybe invest in a $40,000 full blown commercial simulator.

For me, I am happy if I get 15fps on these very busy airports, and I dream of the day I can get an i5 or i7.

Thank you ORBx for making my flying as close to real as I can ATM.

p.s. YPPH ;)

I get 45fps+ at MEL, only slightly less at the sydney you mention, but when I tried Brisbane I was getting less than 20 with pretty much every option deselected. This was over a year ago however, so maybe I should try again in P3dV4.

4 hours ago, TimS said:

I get 45fps+ at MEL, only slightly less at the sydney you mention, but when I tried Brisbane I was getting less than 20 with pretty much every option deselected. This was over a year ago however, so maybe I should try again in P3dV4.

Very interesting Tim.

At 45fps I assume you have an i7 with a gaming Video card, so I can't understand why Brisbane drops your frame rates. My old Dual core gets better performance at Brisbane than Melbourne (albeit only minor improvement) and Sydney is an fps hog. It is amazing how different computers react differently to the same scenery.

I wonder if you are running FSX Steam, as I have seen several forum sites commenting that the Steam version struggles with frame rates at some airports.

10 hours ago, Lance Arnold said:

Very interesting Tim.

At 45fps I assume you have an i7 with a gaming Video card, so I can't understand why Brisbane drops your frame rates. My old Dual core gets better performance at Brisbane than Melbourne (albeit only minor improvement) and Sydney is an fps hog. It is amazing how different computers react differently to the same scenery.

I wonder if you are running FSX Steam, as I have seen several forum sites commenting that the Steam version struggles with frame rates at some airports.

You are indeed correct, I7 6700K and GTX1080. I redownloaded Brisbane last night, and with moderate settings in the config it seemed to be slightly better than I remember but still only about 25fps in the PMDG 747, clear weather. Worse than Heathrow... Not really acceptable so I hope this scenery gets a V2 treatment, Perhaps after YPPH?

Archived