Microsoft Event Viewer

Bassman

During the past week every time I go flying, after about an hour my computer freezes, not a blue screen but just freezes the whole computer leaving the last image frozen on screen. The event viewer in each case has shown two error events:-

1. Source is "Printservice" and the task is "Verifying or regenerating a print driver package" and

2. Source is "Printservice" and the task is "Installing a printer driver"

I find this very confusing as this happens whilst flying and NOT whilst using my printer. I also do not have automatic driver updating set for my printer.

Any ideas chaps??

Cheers  Dan

3 minutes ago, Bassman said:

During the past week every time I go flying, after about an hour my computer freezes, not a blue screen but just freezes the whole computer leaving the last image frozen on screen. The event viewer in each case has shown two error events:-

1. Source is "Printservice" and the task is "Verifying or regenerating a print driver package" and

2. Source is "Printservice" and the task is "Installing a printer driver"

I find this very confusing as this happens whilst flying and NOT whilst using my printer. I also do not have automatic driver updating set for my printer.

Any ideas chaps??

Cheers  Dan

I forget exactly where to find this on my Windows 7 PC but you can disable services.  It sounds like you have a service running when you don't need it.  I have a lot of services disabled for this very reason.  Good luck.

I use PC Alacrity every time before I boot up FSX and related programs. It is a quick and easy way to disable programs you will not need during flight, and then restore them to use afterward. You might want to do some research first  about what to touch and what to leave alone

https://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/

Here is a link on how best to use the program. Unfortunately, for me, the photobucket links are dead. You might have better luck. Otherwise, the text remains very informative.

http://snomhf.exofire.net/alacrityPC.html

I also found this video guide...

Sherm

23 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

My problem in using programs such as PC Alacrity is that I don't know which services and programs, etc., I can safely suspend without hosing the entire system.

That is a problem. The first thing I suggest is to analyze all the running services Alacrity identifies. Go through the list and do nothing to change any service connected to Windows. You can also hover your cursor over a Service and get a consise  definition of its purpose. For example print spoiler.exe can be disabled unless you think you will want to,print anything while flying...(highly unlikely in my case). Using Alacrity, I have reduced active services now in boot up from 80+/- to  the low fifties. If I can figure a way to get my list into a printable file I will do so and post it here.

sherm 

Hello,

I rather think that the amount of time and the risk of disabling something vital

is no longer worth the effort.

Unless the PC is really too weak to run the simulator or for some obscure reason,

the OS is 32 bit, the chances of making a noticeable difference to the performance

of a simulator or causing the PC to run out of resources are negligible.

Of course if a running process is the cause of a computer freeze, this is a different

matter and deserved of investigation.

I've identified 3 or 4 services already that I can safely disable before running P3D or FSX.  The rest I leave alone, because basically I agree with Nick in that the rest probably don't affect performance enough to matter--I'm running a system, as you can see, very similar to Nick's, and both sims run fine with no major problems. 

Edit to add:  I appreciate BlackVipers efforts, but I prefer to resist the temptation to "overtweek", if you know what I mean.  :)

There is nothing wrong about being cautious when it comes to stopping processes, especially if you are having no troubles. In fact, even though I do use Alacrity PC, a large number of processes really take up only a few hundred bytes at the most.  I do suggest you use Task Master to check performance and if you want more information take a look at your Process Monitor. That will really tell you what is eating up memory.

Sherm

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I rather think that the amount of time and the risk of disabling something vital

is no longer worth the effort. Unless the PC is really too weak to run the simulator or for some obscure reason, the OS is 32 bit, the chances of making a noticeable difference to the performance of a simulator or causing the PC to run out of resources are negligible.

Of course if a running process is the cause of a computer freeze, this is a different matter and deserved of investigation.

Good point and, as always, sensible comments and advice from Cooper.

Regards,

Roger

There is a far simpler report on what programs failed in the reliability report.

Control Panel>Systems and Security>Security and Maintenance

Under the Maintenance drop down heading click the underlined View Reliability History

Click the day that you are interested in

Don't be shocked by what you see. Since going over to Win 10 my computer rarely gets above 5.

20 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I've identified 3 or 4 services already that I can safely disable before running P3D or FSX.  The rest I leave alone, because basically I agree with Nick in that the rest probably don't affect performance enough to matter--I'm running a system, as you can see, very similar to Nick's, and both sims run fine with no major problems. 

Edit to add:  I appreciate BlackVipers efforts, but I prefer to resist the temptation to "overtweek", if you know what I mean.  :)

Are you saying that you prefer flying to re-installing? :lol:

I thank everyone for their valuable suggestions and will consider all and when I get it sorted I will report back.

The reference to printer in my error log is interesting so I will remove my printer device (I can print from my other non-networked PC) and see if that has any effect.

Cheers  and seasons greetings to all.  Dan

Hi Bassman,

The easiest way to fix 93% of Pc issues is to utilise its own Diagnosis, simply running sfc / scannow in a command prompt will do this. Basically, it scans your O/S for registry faults with O/S and broken and or corrupted O/S Files. The days of going into Services and Disabling Applications is silly, most are interconnected anyway, it is even beneficial for Superfetch to be left. So when in doubt,   sfc/scannow   (Will not hurt your system) and best to be Run in Safe Mode to override Registry permissions. 

No integrity violations found. I have done a couple of longish flights since removing my printer device so maybe a corrupt printer driver; although why that would be the case is confusing as when flying I never use the printer. I will now reinstall my printer from scratch and see if anything happens. Thanks again. Cheers

Uninstalled printer completely and re-installed. Also uninstalled CH Products yoke/pedals and reinstalled because I was also having trouble with them. System is now working without any problems. Maybe a CH Products/Win 10 thing, who knows. Anyway thanks all for your valuable input. Seasons Greetings.

Archived