A little challenge in Innsbruck

Orbxtreme

Hi, this set is about landing the MD-11 in Innsbruck, now that the airport and region had been redone under Orbx.

Airborne from Innsbruck (with not much runway to spare) and gaining altitude before doing a 180 back to the airport.

MartinairCargoMD-1101.jpg

MartinairCargoMD-1102.jpg

Gear out, 50 degree flaps out on final.

MartinairCargoMD-1103.jpg

The only problem in using runway 08 (for the view ) is that there was a prevailing tail wind with about 40 degree crosswind.

MartinairCargoMD-1104final.jpg

The approach was made with all auto flight system "off" since the MD-11 technology allows the airplane to decide over the pilot if it does not like something. The speed on landing was hovering around 150 - 155 kts.

MartinairCargoMD-1105TD.jpg

Full reverse and braking.

MartinairCargoMD-1106reverse.jpg

The area at the end of runway 08 is just large enough to allow the MD-11 to turn around without having to break one or two sets of runway lights...

MartinairCargoMD-1107BT.jpg

You can see the windsock near the taxiway. Runway 08 would not have been exactly the right runway in real life with that tail wind.

MartinairCargoMD-1108exit.jpg

MartinairCargoMD-1109ramp.jpg

MartinairCargoMD-1110parked.jpg

Jarrad has planned a very nice spot for big aircrafts, with staff waiting and all.

MartinairCargoMD-1111all.jpg

All in all, a very nice flying experience. Too bad there are fewer MD-11s in the sky these days...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, R Smith said:

I love this airport, looks great and a real challenge.

What MD11 is that, PMDG?

This is the MD-11 that PMDG did years ago. But they do not offer the product anymore (unless maybe there are enough customers who would write them and request it?)

Some magnificent weather and scenery in these images.

Some very skilful flying too.

Yes too bad there are fewer MD-11s flying these days but very thankful that they are all freighters.

By far the worst passenger jet I have flown on.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Some magnificent weather and scenery in these images.

Some very skilful flying too.

Yes too bad there are fewer MD-11s flying these days but very thankful that they are all freighters.

By far the worst passenger jet I have flown on.

Why was it so bad? Because of the seats or maybe the inside space? Or did you have to deal with something special? Because in bad weather, for example, many pilots were known to be "behind" the aircraft, getting used to "autoland" and overreacting when caught with turbulence or crosswind (like the one who crashed in Japan, overreacting after the first rebound when the pilot was supposed to wait for the nose to go down progressively. So many crashed because the pilot pushed on the nose after a rebound due to a hard landing, creating a more important rebound that led to a loss of control. I guess your comment was possibly because of the amenities offered to the passengers, including bad food?<_<

41 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

Why was it so bad? Because of the seats or maybe the inside space? Or did you have to deal with something special? Because in bad weather, for example, many pilots were known to be "behind" the aircraft, getting used to "autoland" and overreacting when caught with turbulence or crosswind (like the one who crashed in Japan, overreacting after the first rebound when the pilot was supposed to wait for the nose to go down progressively. So many crashed because the pilot pushed on the nose after a rebound due to a hard landing, creating a more important rebound that led to a loss of control. I guess your comment was possibly because of the amenities offered to the passengers, including bad food?<_<

The seats were so uncomfortable and just looked so untidy as when upright they never lined up in the rows giving a bad impression.

On take off there was always a smell of jet fuel which was concerning at first but with my wife being a bad flyer this scared her no end and it did alarm me the first time as I had never come across this before.

From memory we did 4 return flights to Thailand in the MD-11 and we almost let out a loud cheer the night at YMML when a 773 arrived from YSSY to take us to Bangkok.

On descending every time we got very bad ear ache. We do get this on other airliners but not every time.

I never take the cabin service into account or any other external factors as this is not the planes fault.

A great shame as I liked the appearance of the MD-11 and I do hate to be critical as flying is a big part on my holiday.

The DC-10 on the other hand was beautiful to fly in.

11 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

This is the MD-11 that PMDG did years ago. But they do not offer the product anymore (unless maybe there are enough customers who would write them and request it?)

I had a feeling it was , I really like tri engine planes and enjoy flying my CLS DC10 but have been wanting a good MD11, could never find one though.

2 hours ago, R Smith said:

I had a feeling it was , I really like tri engine planes and enjoy flying my CLS DC10 but have been wanting a good MD11, could never find one though.

I have the CLS DC-10 too and enjoy the multiple liveries, but the level of complexity reached by PMDG with the MD-11 was outstanding.

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments, I am glad you liked.

Archived