Blue is the colour

VH-KDK

Excellent Martyn! Great shots there! :) Some intense colours in shots 6 and 9.

BTW, did you know  that the aircraft in your shot was flown by a Russian Prince..........

"Among all the upper-class personalities in the wartime RAF, Prince Emanuel Galitzine occupies a place of his own. A Russian emigrant, he was no less than a great-grandson of Emperor Paul I, himself a son of Catherine the Great. His mother was a daughter of Duke George Alexander of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Galitzine was born in the declining tsarist Russia in 1918, but soon the Bolshevik revolution forced his family to escape – under the most dramatic circumstances.

They settled in London, where Emanuel received the best of educations. Having reached the age of 21 at the outbreak of war, Galitzine began to dream of flying with the RAF."

Not a lot of people know that....:D

2 hours ago, paulb said:

BTW, did you know  that the aircraft in your shot was flown by a Russian Prince..........

"Among all the upper-class personalities in the wartime RAF, Prince Emanuel Galitzine occupies a place of his own. A Russian emigrant, he was no less than a great-grandson of Emperor Paul I, himself a son of Catherine the Great. His mother was a daughter of Duke George Alexander of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Galitzine was born in the declining tsarist Russia in 1918, but soon the Bolshevik revolution forced his family to escape – under the most dramatic circumstances.

They settled in London, where Emanuel received the best of educations. Having reached the age of 21 at the outbreak of war, Galitzine began to dream of flying with the RAF."

You're right Paul, I was not aware of this historical tidbit, and WWII history is a hobby of mine. Still, I am not surprised, as I am constantly finding little treasure finds of interesting, lesser known stories like this. The more one digs into WWII history, the more you find that you never heard of before. So much history there, and from so many angles, all across the globe. Love it! Thanks for pointing this out :) Great screenshots of the SPit and the scenery.

8 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Wow another spitfire are they breading super shots Martyn I like all of them no inverted one your scenery looks super regards stewart

Thanks Stewart, there can never be enough Spitfire posts on the forum can there!

8 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent Martyn! Great shots there! :) Some intense colours in shots 6 and 9.

Not a lot of people know that....:D

Thanks Paul for liking my set and for the history.

This aeroplane was specially modified for high level interception and was based at Northolt. On the 12th September 1942 it intercepted a JU-88 over Southampton at 41000ft. One of the Spitfire cannons jammed but the Prince did believe he scored some hits on the raider. The fight went up to 43000 ft before the Junkers managed to evade the Spitfire and make it's escape.

This is believed to be the highest aerial engagement of WW2. The Luftwaffe never attempted and more high level raids on England after this engagement.

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

You're right Paul, I was not aware of this historical tidbit, and WWII history is a hobby of mine. Still, I am not surprised, as I am constantly finding little treasure finds of interesting, lesser known stories like this. The more one digs into WWII history, the more you find that you never heard of before. So much history there, and from so many angles, all across the globe. Love it! Thanks for pointing this out :) Great screenshots of the SPit and the scenery.

Thank you Sniper and happy you enjoyed my shots. I am currently reading a book on the Photo Reconnaissance Unit in the UK during WW2. Fascinating reading and as you say there is so much interesting stuff out there.

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I see you´re chasing me now, Martyn, as I had left from Darwin only one day ago. And your blue camouflage won´t work in the red center :D!

I will have to follow you and keep just out of reach.

Maybe I will have to fly a silver or green plane so you cannot see me.:wacko:

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice Martyn!  And you guys make this forum so enjoyable, I'm very grateful for the levity and friendly banter and grateful for Orbx to allow us to share our screens and humor.  All good fun.

Thank you Jack and the forums here are one of the few shining lights in the dung heap of life.:o:lol:

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

You got that right Martyn my friend.  Man, do you have that right. :huh:

I thought that you would be able to relate to that Jack.

Next year I am really getting away from it all for my holidays.

I am going to Mars for 3 months. 555

Archived