Orbx regions, night lighting control panel

Nick Cooper

Hello.

To clear up any confusion as to which setting to select:

Explanation.

Open LC NA includes the Orbx night lighting.

The NA regions also include Orbx night lighting.

Therefore, if you are in a region and you also have OpenLC NA

installed, you will have TWO sets of night lighting.

The control panel.

You will only see it if you have a region and OpenLC installed.

This is what it does.

BOX NOT CHECKED

Not_Checked.jpg

BOX CHECKED

Checked.jpg

Apologies, the images were lost when Postimage unexpectedly moved.

Please read on in any case.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Nick, the screenshots were very helpful, I had no idea.

Now, I have a question.  If I fly around at night in the Southeast since there's no full fat region there, there's nothing more for me to do, no ticking or unticking of any boxes right?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Nick, the screenshots were very helpful, I had no idea.

Now, I have a question.  If I fly around at night in the Southeast since there's no full fat region there, there's nothing more for me to do, no ticking or unticking of any boxes right?

Thanks.

That seems correct to me, Jack.  No full fat region, no adjustment needed.

15 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

That seems correct to me, Jack.  No full fat region, no adjustment needed.

Thanks Stew!  Does it seem to you that without ticking that box there are many more lights?  Did they do this for performance reasons?

12 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Stew!  Does it seem to you that without ticking that box there are many more lights?  Did they do this for performance reasons?

Hi, Jack.  I haven't checked it out yet.  I followed the directions and ticked the box after I installed the regions.  Performance reasons?  I don't really know, but that would seem to make sense--double the lights and you suffer some performance issues.  Clearly, the intent is to furnish the regions with the same high-quality night lighting that OpenLC NA has, or even something better.

Edited by Stewart Hobson

4 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Hi, Jack.  I haven't checked it out yet.  I followed the directions and ticked the box after I installed the regions.  Performance reasons?  I don't really know, but that would seem to make sense--double the lights and you suffer some performance issues.  Clearly, the intent is to furnish the regions with the same high-quality night lighting that OpenLC NA has.

Thanks again Stew.  It seems to me that it has similar functionality as 3.4 lights configurator.  It's good that they're always improving things.  Will have to make those changes as soon as I can boot the PC.

40 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Does it seem to you that without ticking that box there are many more lights?  Did they do this for performance reasons?

Hello Jack,

If you don't tick the box, you have the regions' lighting and the OpenLC lighting at the same time.

Roughly twice as many lights in total.

The tick box is there to prevent this happening.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

If you don't tick the box, you have the regions' lighting and the OpenLC lighting at the same time.

Roughly twice as many lights in total.

The tick box is there to prevent this happening.

Are you planning on implementing an automatic solution that disables this when you have both? Seems making double light rendering the default when you have both LC and a full fat region would trip up some people who are unaware. 

Hello,

Both owners of regions without Open LC and owners with OpenLC have to be catered for.

If the regions' lighting was disabled by default when Open LC was installed, then

re-installing a region or adding another region would enable the lighting for that region and only

the re-installing of OpenLC would disable it again.

If the new lighting was not included in the regions, then owners of regions who did not own Open LC would

not have the new lighting system.

If the new lighting was not included in OpenLC, owners without regions would be deprived of that, including

of course the vast area outside the regions.

I cannot see a better solution than the control panel to allow owners of any these products to have the best possible options.

awesome thanks, can't wait to test it out.  Funny I fly a lot on the west coast on Pilotedge and have all the full fat regions and always thoughts the lighting looked "weird", now I know why!

Hmmm in addition to the screenshot by Nick I also have this option for some of my full fat regions

New night lights

Turn new night lights on or off (default = enabled)

So how does this differ from the option in the screenshot above.  I obviously don't want two sets of lights so do I check this box as well???

Edited by sidfadc

Please take another look at the NA regions' control panels.

Then please return and tell us which one of the NA region's control panels contains this

exact option.

New night lights

Turn new night lights on or off (default = enabled)

Ideally with a screen shot of it.

Thanks.

Nick,

Maybe this will help out.

Here are my control panels after the NA updates in P3Dv4. What is confusing is they are not all the same.

OpetvUJ.png

36CUped.png

j3SQiyc.png

byT1Lvp.png

7Q9ww9j.png

xzMT2bW.png

PgKhUhQ.png

Scot

Edited by slambert
Added P3Dv4 info

Does the following look about right? 

Installed products:  FSX, Libraries 170701, FTXG Base, Open LC NA, CRM, NCA, NRM, PFJ, PNW, SAK, SCA and KSQL (among many others)

Highway near KSQL:  N37° 30.70'  W122° 15.22'

OpenLC-NA Night Lighting enabled and New Night Lights enabled (default):

Default A Bottom Check .JPGDefault B Bottom Check.JPG

OpenLC-NA Night Lighting enabled and New Night Lights disabled:

01 A No Check.JPG

01 B No Check.JPG

OpenLC-NA Night Lighting disabled and New Night Lights disabled

02 A Top Check.JPG

02 B Top Check.JPG

Open LC-NA Night Lighting disabled and New Night Lights enabled (preferred?)

03 A Both Check.JPG

03 B Both Check.JPG

This is really mind boggling to me.

I do have OpenLC NA installed for all the regions. I have all the NA regions installed in my FSX.

So. Which of the two night lighting boxes should I have unchecked, in all the NA Regions. I only want to see the one set of lights that are included in the OpenLC NA, which I have installed etc.

GrayRider 

This is exactly what I thought. However, I have 3 of 4 regions with one option. Two have the disable option only and the other has the new lighting option only. (See screenshots in post above) So I'm not sure if I should reinstall or if what I'm seeing is what is intended for v4.

6 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

If I understand it, check both boxes for all your FTX NA Regions. This should only display the new "NA Regions Lighting."

Scot

Hello,

I can only show you what I see.

I have no control panels with both options.

I do not know why you are all seeing different control panels.

I have asked for clarification and if necessary modifications.

Please stand by.

For now. From my previous reply here.

I went ahead and checked both boxes for night lighting in all the regions I have, which is seven of the NA regions in my FSX. A couple of them only had one night lighting box to check, and of course I checked those as well etc. I do also have the NA OpenLC installed.

So I'll be standing by for more info from Nick, based on what further info he finds out etc. For now. I have a few hairs left on my head.

THX

GrayRider

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,  Is there a performance hit with the light splashes turned on?  Would this be why one would turn off the "New night lights"?  To this viewer, it certainly looks better with them turned on.

Edited by Stewart Hobson

thks for these info Nick, made me realise that i had both lighting enabled in Pacific Northwest.

Anyway my question is : is this apply also to europe ? i'v both OpenLC Europe and 2 regions there but ther's no option about the old & new lightning in their control panel. Is the new lightning already the standard one in europe products ?

• 4 months later...

So none of the pictures work anymore and I recently picked up a few more sceneries with the current sale.  What exactly am I supposed to check/uncheck if I have OpenlcNA as well as Pacific Northwest, Northern California, and Southern California?