I give you the Anacortes bridge in all her glory.

Jack Sawyer

The crew of the UPS freighter enjoyed it.  They had a delivery in Anacortes.  Empty of fuel and passengers they actually took off!  No idea how I did it.  I think I could land this beauty on one of those ski lift platforms at KPSP!

OOM'd at the end, had to shut it down.

Wait, I think I hear the FAA knocking on my door!  

Z9iWHAd.jpg

g49H8lR.jpg

kF07qk6.jpg

NXWR4pi.jpg

j5xfBGP.jpg

I think the jet blast could have overturned the ship!

2Q7pC5s.jpg

3tLYOsg.jpg

p8ZX6zh.jpg

pLtQIUW.jpg

3GAlts0.jpg

C9Z2br9.jpg

cJdzMyy.jpg

CeFwRxq.jpg

WJnLLUk.jpg

Pt0GZOu.jpg

Just now, paulb said:

LOL! I think that you even bent the wings Jack :D

They can withstand quite a bit of flexing in real life, you'd be astonished.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.  It took me long enough to find the bridge as it's much further away than I thought.  I thought it was on the island itself.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

They can withstand quite a bit of flexing in real life, you'd be astonished. 

I know, I have been on quite a few and not always in the best of weather!

You are a wild and crazy guy - turn yourself in immediately to your nearest FAA ACDO.  As mentioned above, that is the Deception Pass bridge connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island.  The bridge isn't that high above the water - wonder if a 747 tail would actually clear it, then there's the wing span :).

5 hours ago, paulb said:

I know, I have been on quite a few and not always in the best of weather!

First time I flew on one and saw the wings flex I was amazed, I loved it.

5 hours ago, Ripcord said:

I think that is called Deception Pass -- it's right at the north end of Whidbey Island.

Thanks Ripcord, I didn't know the name of it.

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

More barnstorming from Jack, great flying.

I like the way you bent the wings to get under the bridge:lol:

First time I flew under here I started to pull up and nearly collected the power lines.

Thanks Martyn!  I think I got the power lines but a 747 can handle them.

4 hours ago, Bluebear said:

puhh, and I thought you wanted to land on the ship   :lol:

Cheers

Bluebear

Hi Bluebear, oh man, don't tempt me...:lol:

4 hours ago, hwh86 said:

If it breaks the factory replaces it under warranty.

Right!  It's a new plane so it's has a bumper-to-bumper warranty.

3 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Good grief, Jack!

I'm glad you found the bridge but your poor plane collection! :)

Great ahots!

Thanks Republic, yeah, my planes are abused quite often, but I'm a test pilot deep inside.

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

You are a wild and crazy guy - turn yourself in immediately to your nearest FAA ACDO.  As mentioned above, that is the Deception Pass bridge connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island.  The bridge isn't that high above the water - wonder if a 747 tail would actually clear it, then there's the wing span :).

:lol:  Ok OnD, done.  They pulled my ticket!  I think if I had crash detection on it would have crashed the plane.  I just wanted to do it for laughs.  It is a beautiful bridge though, wish I could drive across it.  Must be a beautiful area.  Thanks for placing the names for me.

1 hour ago, adambar said:

GULP! :blink:  WTH! :wacko:  Greeeeeeeeeeeat Shoooooots, now could you please hand me the Barf bag again! :(

Thanks Adam!  I had to :lol: when I saw your reply.  I only have seasoned pilots do this and they go without food all day.

1 hour ago, PDX Flyer said:

Jack, if you keep up antics like that bridge stunt ... you just aren't going to have any repeat passengers.  

Thanks PDX.  My passengers all love this, it's kinda like the old vomit comet but private. :D

1 hour ago, scottharmes6 said:

:lol: LMAO!

Were your main gear even on the runway during takeoff?

Very adventurous, scenic, and funny!  The makings of a great post.

Cheers,

Thanks Scot!  Amazingly they were.  I actually took off.  I made sure I had no gas and no pax or cargo.  Full flaps, full throttle and man can this jet just leap into the air.

49 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:  Ok OnD, done.  They pulled my ticket!  I think if I had crash detection on it would have crashed the plane.  I just wanted to do it for laughs.  It is a beautiful bridge though, wish I could drive across it.  Must be a beautiful area.  Thanks for placing the names for me..

I drove across it in '58 while stationed at Paine AFB (before Boeing).  A few coats of paint later, it looks pretty much the same.

Hah! Love it Jack, but you can't fool me - that's one of those 1/4 scale models, right? Love the paint job, although I'm guessing you may have scraped it a bit doing that. What I'd really like to see is that same set of pix but with a swarm of angry Gee Bees chasing you - that'd get the screenshot of the century prize for sure. Hey, that sounds like a nice little photoshop project for someone!

7 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I drove across it in '58 while stationed at Paine AFB (before Boeing).  A few coats of paint later, it looks pretty much the same.

Wait, what?  I grew up in PNW and I didn't know that! 

So Paine Field in Everett was originally an Air Force Base?  Then Boeing took over after it was closed or something?

5 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hah! Love it Jack, but you can't fool me - that's one of those 1/4 scale models, right? Love the paint job, although I'm guessing you may have scraped it a bit doing that. What I'd really like to see is that same set of pix but with a swarm of angry Gee Bees chasing you - that'd get the screenshot of the century prize for sure. Hey, that sounds like a nice little photoshop project for someone!

That would be awesome.  I'm now thinking about flying under it with the GeeBee.  A swarm of angry GeeBees, I love it!

4 hours ago, Torchy821 said:

Great shots Jack, but I bet you never saw those wires just after you went through the bridge?!!

Kev

Yup, I gotta pay to have those wires fixed Kev. :wacko:

Archived