Lodge Lizards

Stillwater

After a nice, belated breakfast (we had to digest the fish & wine from yesterday evening...) we took off from Quintin Lodge...

2017-1-15_17-9-56-55.jpg

... flew north along Arthur River...

2017-1-15_17-12ArthurRiver.jpg

... back to Milford Sound, with a nice view of the mountain ridges.

2017-1-15_17-16TheLion.jpg

Passing Milford Lodge we followed the road...

2017-1-15_17-17MilfordLodge.jpg

... which can be a mistake, when you do not know the area and have looked on a 2-dimensional roadmap only: When we turned around a mountain, we saw the road disappearing in Homer Tunnel - and ourselves desperately climbing.

2017-1-15_17-20SH94Homertunnel.jpg

Yes we can. Climb across the pass and enter Hollyford Valley, flying westwards to the sea...

2017-1-15_17-26HollyfordValley.jpg
2017-1-15_17-30-4-556.jpg
2017-1-15_17-50-26-123.jpg

... and to Martins Bay.

2017-1-15_17-53MartinsBay.jpg

Some options to land here...

2017-1-15_17-55-28-257.jpg

... but we went to Martins Bay Lodge...

2017-1-15_18-1-0-722.jpg

... with a warm welcome...

2017-1-15_18-4-33-239.jpg

... and a cooling engine.

2017-1-15_18-5MartinsBayLodge.jpg

Gerold that was a very cool set of shots!  And man do I LOVE that fish on the wing, how cool is that?  Also, your narrative was excellent, I especially like when you were following the road and lost it in the tunnel so up and over.  Well done!  And this to me has to be paradise on Earth.  Lottery tickets for tonight.  Gonna win big and move there too.  :)

Thank you @Iain Emms, @RJ, @tom2rific and @andy1252!

13 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful set of shots Gerold and some great exploring.

That lady looks a bit flustered to me, didn't you bring her any fish?

... at the time of the picture she did not even know that we still had some sparkling wine with us. Unfortunately I can´t post some of the later pics.

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gerold that was a very cool set of shots!  And man do I LOVE that fish on the wing, how cool is that?  Also, your narrative was excellent, I especially like when you were following the road and lost it in the tunnel so up and over.  Well done!  And this to me has to be paradise on Earth.  Lottery tickets for tonight.  Gonna win big and move there too.  :)

I am sure the fish is on OZx, but I could not find it quickly. Perhaps your lottery is leading you to a faster success?

PS: Here it is: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2675-carenado-c185f-amphibian-zk-fsh/ 

13 hours ago, JimNZ said:

Ah, Aotearoa again at it's best.  Beautifully done.

Regards,

JimNZ

The land of the long white cloud shows a lot of clouds, if I do not select a nice orbx weather preset...

12 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Gerold, you trips are the best, man.  Thanks for being awesome!

Now that is a compliment, I take my hat off, Mark!

8 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Very well put together trip & snaps, I just visited there a few days ago and now I wanna go back, thanks to you! :D

I have seen some of your footsteps, good to know I am not alone.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful shots Gerold, thanks for the ride and food! :)

The freshest food one can get.

2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Good set Gerold.

Two things I really recognize:

The mountains and the steep climbing, especially when the engine is not fitted to do the job.

And the landings at Martins Bay Lodge which can be very tricky.

It adds to the challenge when you are not familiar with the region.

I found Quintin more tricky, the mountains are too close for manouvering there...

1 hour ago, BradB said:

I have heard the phrase "Lounge Lizards" before , but Lodge Lizards is a new one on me . Anyway I raise a toast to your post Gerold from my lounge . :o:P:D

Cheers

John

Who should invent new english word combinations if not a "second language" guy? Leisuresuit larry won´t...

Enjoy your lounge, John, hope the service is acceptable.

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

... at the time of the picture she did not even know that we still had some sparkling wine with us. Unfortunately I can´t post some of the later pics.

That is ok Gerold, I have just watched the movie on Xhamster!

9 hours ago, Stillwater said:

That is ok Gerold, I have just watched the movie on Xhamster!

Archived