Where should I go from here...?

Stillwater

So difficult...

2017-1-14_16-28NZQZ.jpg

... but then I found a piece of paper behind the sun shield (in the livery package):

AIRMILFORDROUTES.jpg

Circling around Queenstown...

2017-1-14_16-37-56-645.jpg
2017-1-14_16-39-7-206.jpg

... over the hill...

2017-1-14_16-41QueenstownHill.jpg

... and Shotover River...

2017-1-14_16-42ShotoverRiver.jpg

... to Lothlorien.

2017-1-14_16-52Lothlorien.jpg

Fangorn Forest just a bit further ahead, but I was too fast to see "trees" moving.

2017-1-14_16-53Fangorn.jpg

Just 4 minutes later my first view of Milford Sound.

2017-1-14_16-57MilfordSound.jpg

Downwind across The Lion, ...

2017-1-14_17-1TheLion.jpg

... with the entire Sound behind.

2017-1-14_17-4-10-414.jpg

Harrison Cove.

2017-1-14_17-7-0-310.jpg
2017-1-14_17-10HarrisonCove.jpg

And - being not trustful enough - a little high final. Local knowledge might have helped, but at least I was slow enough to get the Caravan down into NZMF.

2017-1-14_17-11NZMF.jpg

I have spent the last month flying the South Island in an ultralight which means you don't have to get out of the plane to be immersed in the wonderful scenery. In the rare occasions that the scenery is not so interesting just speed the sim rate up till you get back over spectacular scenery. I went to NZ a few years ago and it was well worth it. After flying in a lot of places where I didn't yet visit I appreciate the country a lot more and must go back again.

NB

Austflight Drifter A-582 ultralight has built in GPS so you can follow your flight path

Great Shots!

On the chart, it looks like the return route has you flying over the Homer Tunnel.  It is in the NZ scenery.  You fly over what is essentially a "saddle ridge" with an elevation of 4600 ft. stuck between much higher mountains.  The tunnel runs through the base of the ridge.  Easy for the C208.  Not so easy for aircraft with less power. :o

If anybody uses FSWidgets apps and has the full chart set, the NZ charts are really good at showing the terrain details this area.  

Thanks for your kind comments, @RJ, @Kasi31, @adambar and @Voyager!

20 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Fantastic set Gerold, watch out for choppers there! :D

Ahh, it will be a pleasure to meet some experienced pilot!

18 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Exhilarating series of shots Gerold.

So much to discover in NZ and like me you have barely scratched the surface yet!

As mentioned so often: Not enough time, but still enough fun!

9 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Great pics! Now try doing the same route in a glider!! :lol:

Adam.

Descending would be quite easy, but climbing...?

8 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

I have spent the last month flying the South Island in an ultralight which means you don't have to get out of the plane to be immersed in the wonderful scenery. In the rare occasions that the scenery is not so interesting just speed the sim rate up till you get back over spectacular scenery. I went to NZ a few years ago and it was well worth it. After flying in a lot of places where I didn't yet visit I appreciate the country a lot more and must go back again.

NB

Austflight Drifter A-582 ultralight has built in GPS so you can follow your flight path

... and here I become surprised: I did not think someone would really follow Adam´s suggestion. I begin to think that could be something for the second round...

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Gerold and I have been absolutely loving your LOTR rings tour but how did you learn all the places they filmed?  I can't get enough of these tours or the movies.  Thanks for making my day.

Something I took from books or Google Earth, but this link gives you the definitive help: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/40071-lord-of-the-rings-location-map/#comment-351396

1 hour ago, Hangar200 said:

Great Shots!

On the chart, it looks like the return route has you flying over the Homer Tunnel.  It is in the NZ scenery.  You fly over what is essentially a "saddle ridge" with an elevation of 4600 ft. stuck between much higher mountains.  The tunnel runs through the base of the ridge.  Easy for the C208.  Not so easy for aircraft with less power. :o

If anybody uses FSWidgets apps and has the full chart set, the NZ charts are really good at showing the terrain details this area.  

Just wait for one of my next flights, Hangar, when I tried to follow the road. And I did that with less power, unintended... :blink:

23 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I flew that route a couple of times myself too!

Great screens.

I also will have to do it again. Beautiful, quick, and with a not-too-easy approach (I have to be more trustful and descend earlier)...

18 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks for the links Gerold!  This is absolutely the coolest thing.  I keep not winning the lottery, maybe next week.  And if I do, the first thing I'm doing is booking a month long tour of NZ.

I keep my fingers crossed for your lottery. If you succeed, please post some RL/sim comparisons here!

Archived