My big fat greek ... alibi

Stillwater

I did not post that much this month, especially keeping in mind the recent release of my home region, which clearly needs exploration. But here is the first part of my alibi for the past weeks:

Our plane was prepared on an early morning in Thessaloniki.

2016-10-21_18-18LGTS.jpg
2016-10-21_18-19.jpg

The bus is coming.

2016-10-21_18-27-12-788.jpg
2016-10-21_18-28.jpg

Something is missing in this view...

2016-10-21_18-28-19-557.jpg

... let us turn on PeopleFlow.

2016-10-21_18-28-20.jpg

Checklists are being read.

2016-10-21_18-29-31-202.jpg
2016-10-21_18-30.jpg

Taxiing on taxiway A...

2016-10-21_18-38-14-723.jpg

... towards the 16.

2016-10-21_18-40-50-875.jpg

Indeed.

2016-10-21_18-41.jpg

Down the greek mainland...

2016-10-21_18-59-13-281.jpg

... towards the harbors of Piraeus. You can see how brilliant Vector is.

2016-10-22_19-49Piraeus.jpg
2016-10-22_19-49-7.jpg

Now have a look at the long peninsula covering an harbor in the middle of this shot. You see slightly bigger buildings on the mainland next to it.

2016-10-22_20-3noLGAT.jpg

Not so in RL: This is LGAT Hellinikon airport. I wonder why this is missing in the sim?

2016-10-22_20-4LGATHellinikon.jpg

OK, let us make a left turn around the next cape...

2016-10-22_20-6-46-709.jpg
2016-10-22_20-6-47.jpg
2016-10-22_20-7-48-834.jpg
2016-10-22_20-7-49.jpg

... into final to the 03R. In the sim you can see a nice & noisy golf ground...

2016-10-22_20-12-0-751.jpg

... which looks different in RL.

2016-10-22_20-13.jpg

And the next difference, this time due to my setup: On many airports I have lost my (WoAI) traffic. I do not know why.

2016-10-22_20-18-40-738.jpg
2016-10-22_20-19.jpg

At least this gap shortens my waiting time for the connecting flight.

Gerold that is a fantastic post.

You have got the RL and FS comparisons so close which must be very hard to do.

Really enjoyed the flight and all things considered the FS rendition is incredible even if they overlooked such a big airport as LGAT:o

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Seriously, this is another masterpiece post coming from you. :)

Thank you very much, RJ.

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

All so beautiful screenshots/photos.

Very nice following these sequence.

Voyager

Glad to see you enjoyed them, Voyager.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand shots indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thanks, Iain.

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Gerold that is a fantastic post.

You have got the RL and FS comparisons so close which must be very hard to do.

Really enjoyed the flight and all things considered the FS rendition is incredible even if they overlooked such a big airport as LGAT:o

I am also fascinated by the rendition, and we can accept some gaps. Well, the LGAT gap is a too-big one.

And you are right, getting the comparison so close is quite a challenge. In both trips...

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Magnificient shots and great comparison, Gerold. I assume you only fly to your vacation destinations in order to thrill us later with your comparison shots :)

I have to admit: Yes, indeed when travelling I already have the posting in mind. And the other way round is also nice: Preparing real travel in the sim...B)

Very nice. It also shows the slight but noticeable deviations from reality in the scenery. For example the inclination of that triangular structure next to the tower (whatever it is) is way too steep in the sim.

And if you want Hellinikon (in it's closed form) in the sim take a look here:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=195028

Thank you @Lane Thomas Hewitt!

19 hours ago, KVSandleben said:

Very nice. It also shows the slight but noticeable deviations from reality in the scenery. For example the inclination of that triangular structure next to the tower (whatever it is) is way too steep in the sim.

And if you want Hellinikon (in it's closed form) in the sim take a look here:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=195028

Thanks KVS for the link to avsim. I´ll try it - maybe this is the solution to mimic reality with LGAV active.

Isn´t it nice to nitpick on such small issues like this interesting structure shape? We´ve come quite a way.

17 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Great interspersion of screens and RL photos (all excellent, I might add).  I especially liked the "people flow" quip!  I'll bet that took away from some flying time to assemble!

Thank you, Wakashi. Yes I stopped the queue for some seconds to take these pictures (even more the "checklist" picture), but I was in the first bus, so caused no delay to the flight ;D.

17 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

As far as creativity and accomplishment and content and ........  You my flying friend on a scale of 10, deserve an 11.  Out frigging standing.

For this motivating comment you also get an 11 oo 10...!

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gerold, I'm always astonished by these when you do them.  Orbx looks like they got it just about perfect.  I love the mix of sim and RW.  It keeps getting better all the time.

I have to keep up with Orbx quality, be it global or the regions. And if I can give compliments or suggestions to the orbx team, even better!

14 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I love those shots. When I have to review each one, two to three times it definitely shows the quality of Orbx, AND your shots.:)

cheers

Gumby

Thanks mate. I also enjoy repeating to look at these comparisons. But I even remember travelling (and the smell of the warm greek morning breeze - the airport is small enough)!

13 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Wow- cool! These comparison shots are best-of-the-nest-of-the-very-best!

Thanks Bermuda, your comment is a Fest for me!

13 hours ago, BradB said:

Another Stillwater Production masterpiece . B):D

Cheers

John

Just an inspiration for you, John, just an inspiration... ;D

18 hours ago, Jorge Bach said:

Yours pics comparing RL & FS are absolutely fantastic. Awesome work.

Gracias, Jorge. Good to read a little work (more "fun"...) pays off!

19 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Absolutely amazing. I am, as they say round these parts, gob-smacked. ("open-mouthed", "stunned" for the less colloquially minded among you). I can't imagine how you actually get to put these sets together - stunning stuff!

Thank you for the kind words, Andy. I am glad our sim is stuffed sufficiently to make these comparisons reasonable. And with discussions like the above (regarding LGAT, thanks @KVSandleben) we keep pushing the limits...

21 minutes ago, paddler said:

That was a great set of shots highlighting just how good the Orbx scenery is.

Thanks.

Nice to see you like them. Testing this is my intention... though I have to admit the airports are 3rd party. Who cares, you do not need two excellent cooks making the same dish!

Archived