PTA and Orbx scenery

robmw

Just to show the difference the latest PTA has made to my experience here are some shots from the western USA, using OLC NA, CRM and SCA. The PTA settings are all defaults and P3D graphics settings aren't particularly high although I do run a 4790K and GTX980 (decent spec. but no longer top notch). I can honestly say that PTA has made a real difference to the graphics realism as John has shown with his Valdez screenshots.

Prepar3D-2016-10-03-18-29-09-60.jpg

Prepar3D-2016-10-01-19-01-39-45.jpg

Prepar3D-2016-09-30-19-05-11-40.jpg

Prepar3D-2016-09-29-19-19-58-04.jpg

(The final image is SCA with the edge of the OZx freeware Death Valley scenery).

I love PTA as well - and have been using it for a fair while. Believe it or not - it actually enabled me to switch to HDR mode which, until now, I always hated with a vengeance. It really complements the P3D lighting functions - particularly for terrain shadowing. With ORBX quality scenery, you can't lose!

It got my registration/donation within minutes of testing! The developer's one of those incredibly clever Rooshians!

Adam.

42 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

I love PTA as well - and have been using it for a fair while. Believe it or not - it actually enabled me to switch to HDR mode which, until now, I always hated with a vengeance. It really complements the P3D lighting functions - particularly for terrain shadowing. With ORBX quality scenery, you can't lose!

It got my registration/donation within minutes of testing! The developer's one of those incredibly clever Rooshians!

Adam.

Adam

How does one go about obtaining PTA & is installing it straight forward?

Thanks

TTM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've never been a big fan of the post-processing graphics tweaks (like SweetFX etc) for various reasons but I really like the fact that PTA works within the P3D SDK and directly with the shaders. It really seems to be maturing into a fantastic tool and comparing some of the views I have with real world pictures I've taken (and memory!) it's effects can be very accurate.

Believe it or not I still use FEX for some cloud and sky textures, mixing and matching with REX. There's some trial and error getting good matches but once I find a combo I like I make a note for posterity and then tend to use it for some time.

7 hours ago, Miss Clairol said:

http://1coder.ru/PTA/index.html

This link will take you there, on the page is a very good video review of the product, you should watch first.  The PTA tool is really a must have!!

Cheers!

Thank you.

Actually, I have two more questions - currently I run AS16 & ASCA in conjunction with P3Dv3.4.

Will PTA interact with them?

Do I just continue using them as usual??

TTM

Hi,

I'm certainly not an expert here, but PTA only effects the shaders, so I can't see why AS16 wouldn't continue to work normally.  PTA will just make everything look better, according to how you set it up.  I am using ASN, and have no problems at all.  The clouds now just have better colors and the sizing and shapes are nicer and more natural looking.  PTA almost makes P3D look as good now as Xplane!

Cheers

There was a problem with the appearance of horizon haze with the latest AS version for a short while but the very latest PTA (v1.6 I think) fixes this.

Among other things PTA modifies the shaders which determine atmospheric lighting affects, cloud and water appearance, shadows, sunlight diffusion etc. so will interact with cloud, water and sky texture sets. However, as it's being actively developed problems usually get fixed very quickly.

It's worth taking a look at the release history for PTA as problems, fixes and new features are summarised there for each version.

6 hours ago, Miss Clairol said:

Hi,

I'm certainly not an expert here, but PTA only effects the shaders, so I can't see why AS16 wouldn't continue to work normally.  PTA will just make everything look better, according to how you set it up.  I am using ASN, and have no problems at all.  The clouds now just have better colors and the sizing and shapes are nicer and more natural looking.  PTA almost makes P3D look as good now as Xplane!

Cheers

I have watched the PTA video & downloaded PTA & installed.

My Default Shaders are ok.

The video did not make it clear to me whether I set some parameters in PTA & "Apply", then open P3D.

Or - I can open P3D & pause a flight, & then open PTA, adjust parameters & "Apply", then have those adjustments show up, say , when I "Un-Pause"?

Your guidance is appreciated.

TTM

Hi TTM,

The PTA site mentions the basics of setting the modifiers, I think the following extract, copied from the site, will answer your question?

"Shaders are a programs running on GPU that tells a computer how to draw something in a specific and unique way. PTA tool modify P3D shaders that used by sim to render scene. These modifications become active only at next start of sim, so changes can't be visible "on-the-fly". Thus, to make changes, close Prepar3D application, open PTA and apply desired tweaks. After that start sim. You don't need start PTA everytime you start sim. PTA makes persistent modifications in shaders files that used by P3D every time later.
Tweaks with customized settings and sim config parameters group in preset. You can save, rename, load preset from file with main menu "Preset". Also you can share your preset with the other people."

Regards,

Roger

6 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

Hi TTM,

The PTA site mentions the basics of setting the modifiers, I think the following extract, copied from the site, will answer your question?

"Shaders are a programs running on GPU that tells a computer how to draw something in a specific and unique way. PTA tool modify P3D shaders that used by sim to render scene. These modifications become active only at next start of sim, so changes can't be visible "on-the-fly". Thus, to make changes, close Prepar3D application, open PTA and apply desired tweaks. After that start sim. You don't need start PTA everytime you start sim. PTA makes persistent modifications in shaders files that used by P3D every time later.
Tweaks with customized settings and sim config parameters group in preset. You can save, rename, load preset from file with main menu "Preset". Also you can share your preset with the other people."

Regards,

Roger

Thanks

RTM.:)

TTM

On 10/5/2016 at 9:28 PM, robmw said:

Believe it or not I still use FEX for some cloud and sky textures, mixing and matching with REX. There's some trial and error getting good matches but once I find a combo I like I make a note for posterity and then tend to use it for some time.

That's pretty well what I do: FEX for the clouds and REX for ground and (maybe) some water textures. Mix and match. I think FEX does a better job for clouds (no un-naturally dark cloud bases and the "popcorn" effect is less pronounced).

To anyone new to PTA .... it's deadly important to make a backup your [P3D root]\ShadersHLSL folder *before* you start messing with PTA - so you have something to go back to if all goes haywire. PTA will make a backup of these anyway, but it's always a good idea to keep a pristine duplicate somewhere else as well. Also - installing a P3D *Client* upgrade will restore the shaders to default.

Handy tip for deleting the shaders *cache* (not the ShadersHLSL folder): Rather than running a possibly dangerous hand-made batch file, I just open up PTA and go to "Actions/Clear Shaders cache".

Adam.

Here's the AVSIM link:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489018-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta/#entry3425866

My presets topic (I'll be uploading a new HDR preset soon):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490178-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta-screenshots-presets/#entry3437391

Here's my current HDR-friendly preset:

adamski_pta_16_06_1350.jpg

It can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71722992/adamski_pta_16_06.zip

Adam.

Wonderful shots and a great improvement.

23 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Sorry to be such a dunderhead but even this is too much for me to understand.

When I have the time or inclination I may try to learn it but at my age it ain't easy.

Don't worry Jack, you are not alone. I find stuff like this beyond me too which is a shame as the improvement is well worth having.

Archived