The [military] aircraft I'd least likely want to mess with - please post!

Adam Banks

Hard on the heels of "The most beautiful *military* jet", we now have the opportunity to show the aircraft we'd least likely want to be at the receiving end of ... or an "unsung hero" that plays its part incredibly well.

So ... please post your candidates here - in this topic.

1) Has to be a military aircraft (jet, prop, or whatever) - of any era.
2) Please post a pic of your own if you can: one pic only.
3) Respect the [general] forum rules - that pics need to show FTX scenery. This is an ORBX forum after all.
4) Say why you think it fits the bill.
5) If possible, give details of the aircraft add-on/developer - particularly if it's modeled by different companies.

6) If mentioning more than one aircraft  - please make sure you indicate your *main* choice.

As before, I'll try to do some running totals. Off you go, chaps - while I rummage through my back-catalogue of "uglies". Plenty to choose from, LOL!

Adam.

I'd still choose the A10 Warthog as it is Lean, Mean and Hungry looking. It has STOL capabilities, long range and good manoeuvrability below 1000 ft

Aircraft shown is by Iris and the scenery is FTX Global, Vector and openLC taken over Prestwick Airport on the Firth of Clyde, Scotland

Screenshot5.png

Kind regards

Ian

I don't have any modern military aircraft but the one that springs to mind has just been shown by Ian, the Warthog.

I remember many years ago reading an article about it and seeing a photo of the A10 with all it's ordnance laid out in front of it. The GAU-8/A Cannon along with the other bombs and missiles make this a very unpleasant plane not to have on your side.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

I don't have any modern military aircraft but the one that springs to mind has just been shown by Ian, the Warthog.

It doesn't have to be *modern*!

My vote for the meanest looking jet I've seen (in RL) goes to the MiG-21. When I saw it at a show at Fairford many years ago, people remarked how positively evil it looked.

polish_mig21_1350.jpg

Not much of a dogfighter but it sure looks B-A-D! This is the Ivan Jurcaga freeware version in P3Dv3.1.

Other considerations were the Tornado, EE Lightning and P-40.

Adam.

The versatile F-18 is a deadly and speedy bird and can operate over the intire globe via the aircraft carriers but is of coarse also stationned on land.

The hereby posted model shows a fully armed while on patrol flight over Death Valley. Remark the 3 gun-exhaust on the nose, 4 clusterbombs

under the wings and 2 sidewinder AA-missiles on the wingtips. The shown model is payware from CaptainSim(includes the F117 in the package)..

F-18overDeathValley.jpg

How bad would this be?

_P-40AVG-02.jpg

After the Northrop F-5E, this is my favorite WW2 aircraft. My avatar image comes from a P-40E instrument panel. This is the A2A Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk in S43 airport. 

Cheers, 

For me - the Eurofighter Typhoon. From certain angles it just looks bad ass, especially with a full weapons load! It's weapons capabilities are still evolving, but by 2018 it will be able to simultaneously carry 4x Paveway IV guided bombs, 6x Brimstone precision low-collateral guided missiles, 2x Storm Shadow cruise missiles, 2x ASRAAM short-range air-to-air missiles, and 4x Meteor long-range air-to-air missiles. Oh, and a BK-27 Mauser 27mm cannon.

It can already give the stealthy F-22 a run for its money, and that's with it's current-gen radar and missiles. But over the next few years the latest Tranche 3 aircraft are going to start coming online with their advanced avionics, and the aircraft will receive a state-of-the-art AESA radar, as well as enhancements to it's electronic warfare and jamming/decoy capabilities, plus the aforementioned integration of new weapons, and a new helmet-mounted display/targeting system. Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFTs) are another possible upgrade, as well as aerodynamic enhancements.

The aircraft also has a very unique system that is the envy of even the USAF - so much so that they are now upgrading their aircraft with it - called Infra-Red Search and Track (IRST) - which enables the Typhoon to detect aircraft via their heat exhaust, allowing it to track and target stealth aircraft. Typhoons were recently deployed by the RAF over Iraq & Syria, where they are operating alongside US F-22s and French Rafales - which together make for a very potent mix, even for the Russian Air Force.

As for it's performance - may father was lucky enough to get a flight in one upon his retirement from the RAF a few years ago. He described it as "lying on your back in the seat, pointing 90 degrees upwards, and still actually accelerating"!

In summary - you don't wanna mess!

Anyway, this is the Just Flight model, which really doesn't do the aircraft justice. However, I'm pleased to hear that Dino Cattaneo's project for this year is going to be a Typhoon with TacPack integration - which I'm almost foaming at the mouth over! :D

2015-1-28_21-29-28-258.jpg

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a "Typhoon geek", as it's my favorite military jet!)

But while we're on the subject of "mean machines", I just have to post this shot of the Iris/Metal2Mesh F-15E - cos' it just looks so darn cool!

2015-2-19_20-11-45-433.jpg

I'll leave you all with these two awesome Typhoon videos:

Another great idea for a post Adam.  Maybe you could have another post for the second part of your description, the unsung hero, as I personally found it hard enough to narrow down the first part.  I found this one a hard task to narrow down to one plane.

I have been playing a lot of DCS World lately and flying the Mig-15.  I definitely would not like to be on the receiving end of the 23mm or 37mm cannons in that jet.

If I was a part of an opposing ground force I definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of the A-10 Warthog.

My final choice , however, I based more on flying against the opposing aircraft in question, and in that case the plane I would least like to face up against is the Lockheed Martin F-22 raptor.  I saw this plane do a flying display and I have to say I still can't believe a plane can do what that plane did. It can basically do backflips and turn on a dime.  If it didn't get you from beyond visual range, you wouldn't stand much chance up close either.

2016-1-3_20-51-23-877.jpg

This one is the Iris LM F-22 Raptor included in P3D V2.5.

Cheers,

41 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Another great idea for a post Adam.  Maybe you could have another post for the second part of your description, the unsung hero, as I personally found it hard enough to narrow down the first part.  I found this one a hard task to narrow down to one plane.

I have been playing a lot of DCS World lately and flying the Mig-15.  I definitely would not like to be on the receiving end of the 23mm or 37mm cannons in that jet.

Thanks! I have another couple of topics "waiting in the wings" as it were, LOL!

I know what you mean about the MiG-15 ... I've been itching to buy that one in DCS as well. Settled for the MiG-21 (amazing!!!) ... but may go for the L-39 next.

Adam.

I can't post a pic of it 'cos I don't have it installed, but in the spirit of the aircraft we'd least likely want to be at the receiving end of (or "mess with" as in the post title), this is the military aircraft I would least want to be on the receiving end of.  When the pilot can sit in a ground cockpit 45 miles from Las Vegas, pilot it on the other side of the world, and still kill you with it without you ever knowing it's coming until it's too late, that's good enough for me.  :lol:

Here's a download link for a free FSX version:  https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/13871/fsx-usaf-rq-1a-predator-uav/ 

Archived