Help me decide my next single engine purchase

arnobg

Hello everyone,

I have tried this at "another" forum with little luck, but browsing the screenshot forum it seems small aircraft are more popular than tubeliners here so I could use a little help. 

I am looking for my first payware single engine prop to fly VFR and enjoy some scenery low and slow, needs to be Prepar3d compatible. I am thinking about purchasing the Flight1 GTN750 or the Reality XP 530 for my turbine duke so integration isn't a must but it would be nice. I like a nicely detailed flight model with lot's of clickable/useable switches and hopefully some repaints available. 

So far I am considering:

Real Air Lancair

Alabeo Skywagon

Alabeo 172RG Cutlass II

Alabeo C177 Cardinal II

Carenado C206 Stationair

Carenado C210 Centurion

Also I'm open to any I haven't mentioned. Thanks so much

The Lancair is not yet available for P3D.

This leaves, in my opinion, a triple choice, all from A2A: in the slower segment their Piper Cherokee (I own) or the Cessna 172 (I don't) and, for a more powerful bird, the Cessna Skylane (I own). These are the top choices offered by the market today. A2A systems and flight modeling with a wear and tear/failure module is vastly superior to what Carenado or Abaleo can offer. 

I agree with the guys above - the A2A accusim range is top quality with excellent realism, and also quite creditable is the FR Super Cub, which is probably the best performing (piston) bush plane on the market just now.  Carenado and Alabeo are better-than-average payware, but they don't quite have the realism of A2A or Realair.  My, we've become spoiled!

I thought that Reality XP is not compatible with P3D? Did I miss something?

Light sport aircraft (LSA) are worth looking at for low'n'slow.

OrbX Victa Airtourer is P3D compatible, as are Ant's Airplanes Tecnam Sierra and Tecnam Eaglet (with or without EFIS, floats).

There are demo versions available for Ant's planes.

And then there is Heidi ! :P  (in A2A's Piper Cub).

In what sense is the Cherokee better than the Skylane ? I own both.

Performance and speed favor the Skylane, imo.  But the Cherokee is easy to fly, gets you where you want to go, even if you're just sight-seeing, and you can land it with your eyes closed.

Stew

Thanks for the suggestions all. For $34 on simmarket the A2A Skylane seems like a steal. I've actually been considering this aircraft for quite some time and I think I'd rather have a little more power that it offers as well as high wing for sight seeing. 

Unfortunately since I only fly twins and jets until now, I only have the throttle quadrant. Would the Cessna throttle be worth the investment or stick with the quadrant?

Performance and speed favor the Skylane, imo.  But the Cherokee is easy to fly, gets you where you want to go, even if you're just sight-seeing, and you can land it with your eyes closed.

Stew

Be sure to be on Cat III when you land with your eyes shut, Stew  ;) ! What I like in the Cherokee is that quaint A/P and a much better visibily in the landing turns. I did the Kokoda trail with her. But she is a much slower and less powerful bird than the Skylane ! 

Both are extremely nice but I fly more the C182 now.

Your missing a bet if you don't consider Lionheart's Quest Kodiak. You get both wheels and floats. It's made for low and slow but also has a top cruising speed of over 180kts. Build 2.6 includes P3D compatibility. And it's very stable and comfortable to fly. It sports a 2D panel as well as a great VC.

Noel

Amen on the Kodiak. Also the Carenado Piper Malibu and Piper Saratoga are nice. For that matter, I have yet to dislike any Carenado single. No disrespect for A2A planes, which really are top of the line, but I have gotten used to the Carenado standard level of complexity and find it very comfortable.

Youtube is your friend.  Almost any FSX plane you can think of has a number of pilot's eyes view videos, and that'll give you an idea of what grabs you.  For instance there's a very popular bush plane that nearly everyone else seems to have but I can't stand the overdone prop texture so I haven't even considered it.  

Amen on the Kodiak. Also the Carenado Piper Malibu and Piper Saratoga are nice. For that matter, I have yet to dislike any Carenado single. No disrespect for A2A planes, which really are top of the line, but I have gotten used to the Carenado standard level of complexity and find it very comfortable.

This is me exactly, just as Rodger says. 

I am sure I would be impressed with A2A but with different things I like mess with, I find that I do more dabbling than flying, and so these medium complexity airplanes give me just enough to keep me engaged.

I think there's a misunderstanding. A2A birds are not more complex to fly than Carenado's, they are just more faithful, within limits, to what the real aircraft are, system and aerodynamics wise. No need to have a Ph D in mechanical engineering to drive their delightful Cherokee which is very relaxing and a joy to fly... If you fly them as you should, no problem. But if you fly without common sense considerations, they fall apart on the other hand. They are like a living, breathing mechanical contraption. Now, I had the Carenado C337 in FSX and found her just plain boring. A nice flying shell.

I guess that is more a commentary on my lack of knowledge on systems complexity.  I thought there was a bit more to it than point and shoot (use GPS for your pointing, etc), but I am not qualified to argue.

The A2A C182 is, in my opinion, the best, most versatile, single engine aircraft for P3D. It's complex in that you have to operate the aircraft withing appropriate limits, yet it is simple, meaning preflight doesn't take 30 minutes. You can be up flying in a matter of minutes. It's a great VFR platform for those lazy (read relaxing) low and slow sightseeing flights, but it is also a very capable IFR platform. Add in the Flight 1 GTN 750, and you can pretty much do just about anything. There's a reason the C182 is the most popular single engine aircraft ever manufactured!

My recommendation would be any of the three A2A birds mentioned by other posters, but if you want a bit more power, I'd wait until Saturday. A2A are going to announce their next plane (supposedly another GA offering), and it might be one that will suit you even better. They haven't spilled the beans yet, but a logical progression from the previous models would be a retractable-gear single (although it may well turn out to be something completely different ;)).

Tym

My recommendation would be any of the three A2A birds mentioned by other posters, but if you want a bit more power, I'd wait until Saturday. A2A are going to announce their next plane (supposedly another GA offering), and it might be one that will suit you even better. They haven't spilled the beans yet, but a logical progression from the previous models would be a retractable-gear single (although it may well turn out to be something completely different ;)).

Tym

I missed that announcement.  Wouldn't it be the Legacy v2 for P3D ?

Oops, my bad, I read RealAir :wub:  ! It's definitely too hot here in the South of France today ::) , time to get back to the pool !

Not so long ago, in a interview, Sott Gentile, alluded to a Piper Seminole and a T33 besides the Texan they announced recently.

Tym

A Turbo Arrow, Turbo Mooney, or a Turbo Centurion please I hope!

C.

Well, A2A's Scott Gentile does own a Comanche, but I'm afraid we can only guess... I'm hoping for one, but this may turn out to be an entirely different plane... :D

BTW, I fully understand the A2A/RealAir confusion, these are the only two add-on plane developers I buy from these days, and I do look forward to RealAir's new release. However, I realize they are rather busy with the P3D conversions of their existing fleet. Scout V2? Yes, please!!!

Tym

EDIT: A Turbo Centurion would be a dream come true... I adore the plane, and the only FSX rendition in the market is rather disappointing.

Well, A2A's Scott Gentile does own a Comanche, but I'm afraid we can only guess... I'm hoping for one, but this may turn out to be an entirely different plane... :D

I'm not sure we'll ever see a Comanche, just a Cherokee with retracts.  Maybe the Seminole is being sneaked out like the Skylane.  Guess we'll know in about 48 hours.  :P

In what sense is the Cherokee better than the Skylane ? I own both.

Bit late but 1. I prefer low wings (high wings make me feel claustrophobic and spoil the view), 2. I er... don't like the look of the Cessna panel/interior (the Cherokee is soooo much better looking!), 3. the Cherokee has a great weird AP. And the Cherokee simply flies wonderful!

Bit late but 1. I prefer low wings (high wings make me feel claustrophobic and spoil the view), 2. I er... don't like the look of the Cessna panel/interior (the Cherokee is soooo much better looking!), 3. the Cherokee has a great weird AP. And the Cherokee simply flies wonderful!

I agree with you 100% on all points.

That little Cherokee is my all time favorite!

Archived