FTX HD Trees... The Preview Video Series, North America...

Hi all...

Scott's latest work on HD Trees is not exactly new to you (with plenty of threads showing stills), but to continue the previews, here is the first of multiple preview videos for the HD Trees package. Pictures say a thousand words, this will give you an idea of what to expect in flight :)

Remember, this is still in early Alpha there's a long way to go yet, indeed one of the main reasons that these videos are being split into different regions is simply because each region is being done one at a time ;)

So far, the alpha is ready for most North American regions, Australian regions and FTX Global... So expect those other two videos in quick succession. European and New Zealand videos will join the collection as they are completed.

So for now, Enjoy the new HD Tree preview for North American Regions... We recomend playing this video in full 1080p resolution to really get the full impression :)

EDIT...

This video has now been superceeded by a NEW totally global video of the soon to be with us FTX HD Trees!

Go to this link to check it out:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/94945-ftx-hd-trees-so-close-you-can-smell-the-pine/

Looks good.

Next step is to figure out a way to get rid of the burned in "trees" and "brush" in the underlying ground texture.  Still wondering if that's even possible with the MIP mapping on the textures... have a nice hires ground textures with no burned in vegetation at close LODs, but still have the vegetation show up in the texture at far LOD where the 3d trees aren't rendered.

Rob, 

Fantastic video - thanks so much for taking the time to make this. The fading between seasons and "wipe" comparison between default vs HD trees is excellent and really allows for comparison.

Just out of interest how did you align the videos for the fading? Did you use FS Recorder to record the slew and play it back after switching season?

Really looking forward to the next videos (especially Europe) and for the product itself :).

Thanks again

Rob, 

Fantastic video - thanks so much for taking the time to make this. The fading between seasons and "wipe" comparison between default vs HD trees is excellent and really allows for comparison.

Just out of interest how did you align the videos for the fading? Did you use FS Recorder to record the slew and play it back after switching season?

Really looking forward to the next videos (especially Europe) and for the product itself :).

Thanks again

Hey Wills...

Sadly FS Recorder doesn't work with FSX Steam Edition (and there's no plans to make it work), so I did it the old fashioned way... I saved a flight at the start point of my animation run, hit the Shadowplay record key, then used the keyboard buttons to slew... each press is a standard speed increase so if I pressed "left twice" for the "before" run, I pressed "left twice" again once I installed the HD trees, thus guaranteeing the slew was was the same speed each time. From there it was a simple (!) matter of loading the tracks into my editor and tweaking them to match frames... the trimming and apply a wipe or a fade.

The videos and text in this thread are described in terms of "regions" and of course, this makes sense since the characteristic trees in each area vary from one another. However, when JV first described the product, he made it sound like a single released product with a single price. I realize you are testing and producing videos as you go along with the testing and that is appreciated, but please confirm that when it is finally time for release, all the areas will be released as a combined product with a single price, i.e., we won't have to buy individual tree products for N. America, Europe, Australia, etc.

Stan V

That's a nice video for comparison purposes. I would really like to see a comparison that shows clearly the dazzling brilliant colorful beauty that is Fall in every US state from Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina up through upstate New York. people take long trips just to see the leaves in this country (the US). Ive always wanted Fall to be spectacular in flightsim because it is in real life. if the appearance of Fall is diminished by rain or a cloudy day then that is totally realistic but on a bright sunny day, colors should really pop...and Im sorry if that disagrees with anyones philosophy that trees should less colorful or bigger or smaller or whatever. The fact is that things are different all over the world.

Additional work to improve the Orbx trees would be greatfull.

Is and improvement to Palm trees also included, I notice that most palm trees appear to be much darker green than in reality, when palm trees should "stand out" in tropical scenery they often just blend in with the rest of the forest types?

The videos and text in this thread are described in terms of "regions" and of course, this makes sense since the characteristic trees in each area vary from one another. However, when JV first described the product, he made it sound like a single released product with a single price. I realize you are testing and producing videos as you go along with the testing and that is appreciated, but please confirm that when it is finally time for release, all the areas will be released as a combined product with a single price, i.e., we won't have to buy individual tree products for N. America, Europe, Australia, etc.

Stan V

One product for the whole world, one price :)

Just to emphasize, it's only the preview videos that are "regional"... the product is indeed completely global.

For now though, the product is in early development and is being produced one replacement texture set at a time, so we're simply showing what has been done so far (most US regions, Australia and FTX Global for the moment).

Just a simple question will there be Grass trees (Blackboy Trees) for Western Australia as these are a pretty unique feature of the arid landscape, I know it's been said Australia has been done but I thought I'd ask just to clarify.

Looking pretty Good so far Guys ;-)

what about South East Asia? is it also being worked on?

e.g. Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, India Philippines, etc..

If you have Global installed, your trees in SE Asia will be upgraded also. 

Hey Wills...

Sadly FS Recorder doesn't work with FSX Steam Edition (and there's no plans to make it work), so I did it the old fashioned way... I saved a flight at the start point of my animation run, hit the Shadowplay record key, then used the keyboard buttons to slew... each press is a standard speed increase so if I pressed "left twice" for the "before" run, I pressed "left twice" again once I installed the HD trees, thus guaranteeing the slew was was the same speed each time. From there it was a simple (!) matter of loading the tracks into my editor and tweaking them to match frames... the trimming and apply a wipe or a fade.

Ingenious - thanks for the info!

I too wish FSRecorder worked with FSX:Steam / P3D...

Just a simple question will there be Grass trees (Blackboy Trees) for Western Australia as these are a pretty unique feature of the arid landscape, I know it's been said Australia has been done but I thought I'd ask just to clarify.

Looking pretty Good so far Guys ;-)

No new tree types are added; this is just a simple texture upgrade for the existing tree types for Default FSX, Global, and FTX regions.  That being said, I think you will be very happy with the new Australia textures; it is really a great facelift for these older FTX regions.  See some preview pics HERE (5 bottom shots), and expect more in the coming days :)

If you have Global installed, your trees in SE Asia will be upgraded also. 

Actually, we're adding a complete replacement for Default FSX trees too.  So regardless of whether you have Global or not, you will see a worldwide tree upgrade, including SE Asia!

Archived