A Rocky Cub Search

TerribleT

For my "Rocky Cub Search" I selected Piglets Porter with Jankees OZ Army Camo paint, departed Kokoda and followed the road East before turning South along the
river I know flows to Emo Mission.  As I flew up the valley I remembered Ken's hint about a "rock" - and there was quite a large one at the beginning of the valley on the left hand side:

rpgx.jpg

As I flew closer I thought I saw a tiny orange aircraft in a clearing above the rock:

5npF.jpg

So I throttled back, side slipped and dropped full flap and there it was:

krjv6.jpg

Kept side slipping and descending to confirm:

Vi73K.jpg

Opened throttle and side slipped the other way to check for survivors:

mCJsb.jpg

Headed towards the Mission to get a ground party underway and noticed how close I was to the stream above the waterfall on the way - the weather and wind had
changed very suddenly!

fKktO.jpg

Perhaps this is what happened to our colleague in the Cub!

Thanks Ken and Tim for all your PNG scenery, thanks Piglet for the Porter and thanks Jankees for the paint - what fun :D .

Oh yes! this is what I aim to be flying this weekend...awesome shots and that Porter is straight off the TV show, been wanting to fly & try one of these Porters into those amazing PNG grass strips

How is Tims Porter, any Air Susi paints for her? I keep my fingers crossed for release of aerosofts porter later this year (maybe) :)

Cracking shot Terry!!  I was doing the same with the ARMY PC-6 last night.   Great minds think alike....

Oh yes! this is what I aim to be flying this weekend...awesome shots and that Porter is straight off the TV show, been wanting to fly & try one of these Porters into those amazing PNG grass strips

How is Tims Porter, any Air Susi paints for her? I keep my fingers crossed for release of aerosofts porter later this year (maybe) :)

Shaun there is a "Suri Air" paint for Piglets Porter.  I have it but just can not remember where I got it from? Sorry.   It would be great if someone did a "P2" rego for this aircraft.  I know Talair flew them.

Thanks for the kind words fellas :D

The Piglet Porter is very fine freeware - no autopilot and likes to be flown properly according to the various manuals/checklists that are available on the web - engine control is critical as is active trimming at all times.

Yes Tim - Talair had a couple - Patair, Ansett and even the Catholic Mission operated Porters - I can't remember TAA having any.

Indeed Voyager - location is a problem for military aircraft that in the terrain for which they are camouflaged :o but it goes with the territory :lol:

Great spotting, good news is that they walked away from that crash, plenty of bruises, being a G rated sim, we try to keep casualties to just the aircraft, and giving respect to anyone who may have known anyone who was unlucky enough to fall victim to Papuas treacherous weather.

Cheers

Sherm - that's the only Piglet Porter paint I have that might have flown in PNG before the Porter was withdrawn from ADF service - military aircraft in camo often join SAR ops in this region :D .

Ken - glad to hear that was only an airframe loss, take your point on the G rating as I knew quite a few who didn't walk away up there and came close a few times myself - as most people who actually fly in PNG usually do.

Thanks again for kind comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived