recommendations for a good plane to fly to the PNG bush strips?

fabs79

Hi guys,

can anyone recommend a good bush plane (payware or freeware) to visit all of the PNG bush strips included in the AYPY scenery? The Twotter seems a little bit too big for the smaller strips. And though I love the real air scout, it does not perform well at higher altitudes. So any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Cheers, Fabian

Small slow bush aircraft but cruises well at higher altitudes, that's pretty tough, there will usually be a compromise. The Carenado Skymaster does both things fairly well. I don't have that scenery so can't be sure. I don't rate Carenado much but that ac is very good fun and very unique with push pull configuration.

Hi

For freeware Pilatus porter - Simviation or Fly Away Simulations

For pay ware Pilatus Porter try Aerosoft

Kind regards

Ian

Hmmm,

I thought the Payware Porter by Aerosoft was still in production???  If it's available I'd love to get it since I've been eyeing it for some time now.  I know FSD International has had a Porter available for quite some time now.

Gary

Gary,

I've used the Carenado C-185F, Aerosoft's Twin Otter & OV-10, and Ant's T-28s (Not your traditional bush plane!).

All are fun with varying pros/cons.

I've got a freeware Porter (Simviation), but haven't flown it in ages.

Ian is correct about Susi Air.  (I loved the TV show about the pilots flying for them.)

Happy flying!

Matt

My fav aircraft for PNG are..

AS Twin Otter

AS Bronco

SW AN2

SW Birddog

F1 BN2 Islander

Carenado 208 cargopod

Carenado 185 bush pack

Carenado PC12

LH Kodiak

CS C130

AS Caribou

A2A Cub/P40

UIVER DC2

Cera 412/212

Virtavia C17

DA Do-27

NM AS350/355

Piglet's Porter

A list of PNG repaints is here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81092-papua-new-guinea-pngaypy-liveries-and-repaints/?hl=%2Bpng+%2Brepaints

If you just want a quick fix plane to practise with while deciding which plane to get, I uploaded a 172 mod here for the default C172 that makes it perform well enough to taxi up the strips and get airborne quickly, sort of like a STOL Hawk XP might behave.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/81342-kokoda-strips-upgraded-default-c172-file/?hl=c172

Obviously not a replacement for a good dedicated plane but it lets you enjoy the scenery while you procrastinate :-)

I don't have OrbX PNG yet but I' ve flown scores of bush trips in OrbX lands and my recommendation for a true bush STOL aircraft, slow but a great character of a plane is the An-2 from Sibwings.

http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php

Except the excellent Pilatus Porter available in an early FSX version with FSD (Marcel Felde of Do 27 fame 's version at Aerosoft is going to be a long wait or so it seems) you can't get more bush than big Anushka :) !

Hmmm,

I thought the Payware Porter by Aerosoft was still in production???  If it's available I'd love to get it since I've been eyeing it for some time now.  I know FSD International has had a Porter available for quite some time now.

Gary

According to Aerosoft their Porter is still in development but the person doing it is having some personal issues so it is delayed.   FSD does have a Porter but I am not wild about the quality of their products.

Mike

I've got to agree with Sylvain. The C150K has become one of my favorites. Besides being a great STOL AC, it has great cockpit visibility while in-flight and a lot faster than the Super Cub. Thanks Sylvain, I picked those up over at Misty's Moorings a while back.  If I'm in a hurry I go with the C185, the Dhc2 Beaver Mk3T, or the Maule Nor Cal...all amphibians. If I'm in a REAL hurry I go with the Dehavilland Dhc6- 300 or 400 Turbo Twotter...also amphibians. I don't really care for the Cessna 208 as a bush plane. Too sluggish and slow to respond for me. Just my 2 cents worth.

I like the Quest Kodiak from Lionheart,

Its actually used throughout PNG and the region by charitable aid organizations for transport, air ambulance, and supplies and they can handle very tight and short airstrips. Its a fast, tough plane and very flyable. Check it out.

good flights, Cal

Archived