Candy for Kasi - Berlin Airlift operation

Stillwater

Inspired by the plane Mallard chose for his Tahoe sightseeing, I knew which one to take for the tour to Berlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Airlift#The_start_of_the_Berlin_Airlift

Climbing out of Hanover:

fkuow.jpg

Hmm, Wolfsburg is not looking like it did in 1948. But the Volkswagen works are still at the same place.

Aw7Hm.jpg

Crossing the Elbe in Magdeburg:

eSqyi.jpg

Potsdam and the lakes:

3TPjW.jpg

A view over Berlin from the south: To the left there is the Olympic stadium of 1936, Tiergarten just before my nose, and the Alexanderplatz to the right.

JHh1e.jpg

Approaching the only suitable airport: Tempelhof. At least in the sim it is still in operation. The city is under my right wheel.

TAMW.jpg

Tied down. In front of one of the longest buildings ever built: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempelhof_Airport

H2F6i.jpg

Oh no, I forgot to drop the Candy for Kasi ....  :blink:

Thanks for the (eye) Candy Gerold! In shot #5, you passed near where i live in Berlin. The "river" below the DC-3 must be the Teltowkanal and the building below the prop seems to be the Steglitzer Kreisel. Thanks for these beautiful shots!

Thanks for the (eye) Candy Gerold! In shot #5, you passed near where i live in Berlin. The "river" below the DC-3 must be the Teltowkanal and the building below the prop seems to be the Steglitzer Kreisel. Thanks for these beautiful shots!

Great to have found the way to your home, Kasi. And thanks for the additional descriptions!

Some grand shots indeed mate.

cheers

Iain

... and it was a nice evening flight (in the sim it was morning, though...).

Great set of shots Gerold and thank you for sharing your tour.

Cheers,

Ruud

My pleasure!

Great set! Very nice scenery and airplaine!

Manfred Jahn & friends did a great job on this modernized C-47.

rosienen bomber ? ::)

Indeed, I just did not find a livery for the memorial flights that they are doing nowadays.

That's a great set indeed!

Yes!

Beautiful shots Gerold!  That DC-3 is an elegant bird.  I love the architecture of the Tempelhof...  and my dad worked at the VW plant many years ago! 8)

Now that is cool, finding roots of the own family in the details of a screenshot forum!

Thanks mates!

Wonderful set Gerold.

Great scenery aircraft and description.

Hope you enjoyed Kas's candy.

Beautiful shots Gerold!  That DC-3 is an elegant bird.  I love the architecture of the Tempelhof...  and my dad worked at the VW plant many years ago! 8)

This is something I like about the screenshot forum, the number of folks that have connections and stories about many of the places we visit and fly over. Great to hear.

Always enjoy checking out what you post here.

Another fine set! :D

Wonderful set Gerold.

Great scenery aircraft and description.

Hope you enjoyed Kas's candy.

This is something I like about the screenshot forum, the number of folks that have connections and stories about many of the places we visit and fly over. Great to hear.

Wonderful shots Gerold!!

Thanks, mates! We have so many areas to explore in the Fullterrain World....!

A. Few years ago dc3 airways (www.dc3airways.com) recreated the Berlin Airlift with real time MP pilots and aircraft, plus fleets of AI aircraft to fill in the gaps.

After that we flew Operation Varsity, using much of the same techniques. Read all about it.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1796-DC-3-Airways-Recreates-World-War-II-Air-Assault-Operation-Varsity

Sherm

Incredible detail Gerold!

Very well captured and presented!

O0

Wow - Great post Gerold , lots of eye candy to go around .

Cheers

Brad

Thanks, mates!

A. Few years ago dc3 airways (www.dc3airways.com) recreated the Berlin Airlift with real time MP pilots and aircraft, plus fleets of AI aircraft to fill in the gaps.

After that we flew Operation Varsity, using much of the same techniques. Read all about it.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1796-DC-3-Airways-Recreates-World-War-II-Air-Assault-Operation-Varsity

Sherm

Great idea & description, Sherm!

Archived