Kokoda Track - so which bush strip is the hardest?

Ripcord

Kagi and Etofi seem to be challenging but reasonable. I feel like I can get in and out of those two.

For me so far it is Launumu, but I've not gotten to the ones more off 'the beaten track' yet. Having a hell of a time getting low enough early enough in my approach to get my speed down. As a result I keep bouncing Twin Otters down the fairway.

I wish I could adequately answer this question for you but a feel the answer is relative to the pilot. But in my opinion, it's the strips with the steepest gradients that are most difficult as I keep getting stuck even after a smooth touchdown. So the hardest I would say are the ones that force you to hit that slew button. I find that ground maneuvering is equally as if not more difficult than the approach and landing at most of them... So in answer to your question, I don't have one other than to say keep an eye on the one where you need to slew. 

Whatever you do, I find you have to come thru and make a pass over the "runway" (using that term pretty loosely) and make a run through the pattern. This allows me to drop some speed and start getting down to the altitude I need to be at in order to make a decent approach. I will say that I've learned to stall a Twin Otter today.

I agree with you, D'Andre, on the ground taxiing aspect. It's tricky. I've done a bit of land clearing this afternoon.

Indeed, I have stalled myself at Efogi. In fact, i'm still struggling a bit there as I find it difficult to maintain aircraft control after touchdown due to the erratic terrain. It looks smooth all up till you get onto it. I only wish there were operational guidelines to follow but there arn't any really. So like you indeed I have to circle at lest once. But try the Kagi-Efogi run. I like that best, no time to think! Just do! 

Great topic guys, having tried the strips one or two times, I find Boridi the toughest, that dogleg unless you approach fro a little to the left and not get caught trying to follow the curve rather take a line that straightens it out. As for losing momentum after landing that's just practise, no shame in skewing till you get the feel.

I'm really happy your enjoying the challenge, imagine how the guys that do it for real felt on their first attempts.

Cheers

Ken

A very interesting thread... to be honest, this is all I need for now in flight simming. I can spend hours here and never get bored.

I found Timkenumu quite a tough one with its steep gradient....

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54LR3SBbW8

Cant wait to try the others I missed

I'm currently taking the Airlink Caravan around these strips with max load and minimum legal fuel for the trip ex AYPY. So far Kagi, Efogi and Manari have tried out the aircraft's performance and my skills to the max. All OK so far but getting out of Efogi in that configuration was a pants darkener - should have kicked a couple out.

I'm enjoying them all.

Boridi is pretty sporty with its steep slope and curved strip.  But Milei may be harder.  Following the slope of the terrain and clearing the trees on approach, having to touch down going down hill before the runway curves and then goes uphill.  Fun!

A very interesting thread... to be honest, this is all I need for now in flight simming. I can spend hours here and never get bored.

I found Timkenumu quite a tough one with its steep gradient....

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m54LR3SBbW8

Cant wait to try the others I missed

Great video! I need to drop the Twotter and test some other aircraft up here. That looked fun in the birdie. But I imagine the Twotter is most difficult up here. Speed management in that thing is very hard especially if you are throttling it in. My next aircraft test will be the Islander. This scenery is great! We need more stuff like this. Hint Ken!!

Once I master these (assuming I do) the next step will be to start adding in the FS Global real weather in and try to beat the storms that quickly pass through. Right now, I am a scary cat. I refuse any clouds with a base level of less than 10,000 lol! 

If you pass by the memorial site and helipad towards Kokoda and look to the left, there's a steep cleared area that some might say could be a really steep strip.  It's not marked as a strip and the brakes in the C172 don't even hold but if you're an Alaskan hero you could try it  >:D

To answer the question is hard, cause all strips have their, lets same charm of a sloped aircraft carrier. The Twin Otter is definetely the toughest plane to get down there. I tried it today with the Carenado C337 and the C185. I find the C185 the plane to there for practising. To remember where all these easter eggs are buried below the clouds i made myself a little flightplan with PFPX. I defined every field as an airport as well as a waypoint. So no need to find the needle in a haystack when having clouds and mist hanging low between the hills and the forest.

But the most difficult part in this bush strip operations is to turn the aircraft around to set it up for departure. I think the planes need a bit of turn radius adjustment. 

I also find Boridi the hardest for the Twotter. The main thing to remember with that big bird is that the landing hasn't been finished until you stand at the end of the runway perpendicular to the slope, otherwise you won't come out without cheating (slewing).

One plane that fits perfectly there would be Lionheart Creation's Quest Kodiak. It's obviously used quite a lot in PNG.

Taking off is also a challenge. I discovered that in order to prevent the Twin Otter from becoming a hedge trimmer full flaps really helps you get off the ground faster.

One aircraft I'm looking forward to trying on these bush strips is the upcoming Aerosoft Pilatus Porter. I love having Pratt and Whitney as my flight crew. ;)

Todd

One aircraft I'm looking forward to trying on these bush strips is the upcoming Aerosoft Pilatus Porter. I love having Pratt and Whitney as my flight crew.  ;)

Todd 

+1

Hope they are going to release this plane soon it has all the right ingredients for this environment and after seeing the real live video's from the Pilatus Porter flying to PNG bush strips on YouTube can't wait to fly there with this beast.

Cheers,

Ruud

Just a query re the bush strips-are Tapini  and Woitape included? I spent some time there in the early 60's, Tapini very interesting. Aircraft used were Piaggio p-166a, good fun to fly, but can't find one that will run in FSX. Will be buying but have to save to get Global as well.

Just a query re the bush strips-are Tapini  and Woitape included? I spent some time there in the early 60's, Tapini very interesting. Aircraft used were Piaggio p-166a, good fun to fly, but can't find one that will run in FSX. Will be buying but have to save to get Global as well.

No sorry, but you can download the product KML from the website if you wish to see what is included http://www.fullterrain.com/product_piaypy.html

Great thread, and a fantastic addon!  Well done, Tim and Ken.

Just completed my first attempt at each of the strips (some in the Aerosoft Twin Otter, others in the default P3D Maule Orion), and I certainly need a lot more practice.

I found these the hardest for landing:

- Milei: from which direction are you actually supposed to approach this one? I assume from the west, but there are massive trees right at the threshold, and could never get over them without landing half way down the strip (and running out of grass to stop); in the end I approached from the east at an angle, over the village, and then took a sharp left onto the strip just before touch-down.  I don't think that's how it's supposed to be done!

- Boridi: that dog leg takes some getting used to.

- Timkenumo: wow, that's what I call a steep runway.

And these the hardest for take-off:

- Launumu: hard to get sufficient speed with that hump in the middle.  Found it impossible in the Maule; was just about able to t/o in a lightly loaded Twotter.

- Milei: those trees again.

I'd like to try this in a more powerful bush plane than the Maule, but smaller than the Twotter.  Looks like the Quest Kodiak might fit the bill: does anyone know if it works in P3D v2?

Great thread, and a fantastic addon!  Well done, Tim and Ken.

Just completed my first attempt at each of the strips (some in the Aerosoft Twin Otter, others in the default P3D Maule Orion), and I certainly need a lot more practice.

I found these the hardest for landing:

- Milei: from which direction are you actually supposed to approach this one? I assume from the west, but there are massive trees right at the threshold, and could never get over them without landing half way down the strip (and running out of grass to stop); in the end I approached from the east at an angle, over the village, and then took a sharp left onto the strip just before touch-down.  I don't think that's how it's supposed to be done!

- Boridi: that dog leg takes some getting used to.

- Timkenumo: wow, that's what I call a steep runway.

And these the hardest for take-off:

- Launumu: hard to get sufficient speed with that hump in the middle.  Found it impossible in the Maule; was just about able to t/o in a lightly loaded Twotter.

- Milei: those trees again.

I'd like to try this in a more powerful bush plane than the Maule, but smaller than the Twotter.  Looks like the Quest Kodiak might fit the bill: does anyone know if it works in P3D v2?

This package was developed using p3d as a testing ground, so absolutely this is P3D compatible.

Some things to check.

Make sure you have the correct mesh and settings, Holgers mesh is perfect, set to 5 meters. Other meshes with equal or better resolution are sometimes not compatible, that's why we included Holgers mesh as a free add on, you can download it of the website.

The effects in P3D are intermittent, reloading the scenery generally fixes this, LM are working on a fix.

Milie approach is follow the valley heading eastish, come in over the banana plants, there should be no tall timber to stop you, I put the bananas there to ensure this.

In p3d turn on sim object shadows and buildings both cast and receive, virtually all buildings are on poles as the terrain is never flat, the shadows ground the buildings. This adds so much immersion when you see the palms and other veggies casting shadows on the huts, or the huts casting shadows on each other, even the washing on the verandas cast shadows on the walls, mid afternoon is a great time for seeing this, have a play with the time preview tool. Try to have shadow map count either high or ultra this improves the shadow quality.

No matter if your using FSX or P3D remember that there's no shame in using the slew to adjust your position, I've found that the aircraft performance parameters maybe have not been tested on slopes, so aircraft that should have more than enough power can get caught on the slope, the otter really should never be underpowered, yet I've used the bonanza and not got stuck where maybe I should have.

It's fantastic to see this thread and reading all your comments. When PNG 2 is developed your feedback here will help heaps.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for the P3D tips: I will try out the object shadows today. I'm already using P3D exclusively, and actually my question was whether anyone knew if the Lionheart Quest Kodiak was P3D-compatible. I had no doubts whatsoever about the scenery compatibility: Orbx are the most P3D-friendly of all developers.

The Kodiak is P3D compatible. Actually, reading mjrhealth's post, it seems to be more compatible to P3D than FSX. Cockpit shadows work fine in P3D, as DX11 does not seem to have the closed model restriction like DX10 or DX9.

When installing in P3D you have to rename the sound folder. Originally in FSX it was simply linking to the default C208B sounds, but since P3D has no default Caravan Bill has added an extra sound folder to be used in P3D. Personally, I purchased an enhanced PT6-sound by SoundworX which I use for Kodiak and Carenado C208B, maybe for the AS Porter as well if it doesn't come out with a decent sound.

Also, on Lionheart's Kodiak product page there is a nice hi-res texture for the cockpit.

Milie approach is follow the valley heading eastish, come in over the banana plants, there should be no tall timber to stop you, I put the bananas there to ensure this.

Yes, indeed: the trees are not right at the threshold, but are still pretty close. I was able to land easily in the A2A Piper Cub - a very good first plane to try out these strips (no problems with approach speed or ground turning circle on this one!) - but I had a bit more trouble in the Maule and Twotter. Just need to practise!

In p3d turn on sim object shadows and buildings both cast and receive, virtually all buildings are on poles as the terrain is never flat, the shadows ground the buildings. This adds so much immersion when you see the palms and other veggies casting shadows on the huts, or the huts casting shadows on each other, even the washing on the verandas cast shadows on the walls, mid afternoon is a great time for seeing this, have a play with the time preview tool. Try to have shadow map count either high or ultra this improves the shadow quality.

Thanks for the tip: these shadows really do make the scenery even more immersive, and don't affect performance much either (much less than cloud or terrain shadows).

The Kodiak is P3D compatible. Actually, reading mjrhealth's post, it seems to be more compatible to P3D than FSX.  I purchased an enhanced PT6-sound by SoundworX which I use for Kodiak and Carenado C208B, maybe for the AS Porter as well if it doesn't come out with a decent sound.  Also, on Lionheart's Kodiak product page there is a nice hi-res texture for the cockpit.

Thanks for the info: one to add to my shopping list.

I don't know whether to congratulate myself or have myself committed, but I just managed to get into and out of Kagi with the Manfred Jahn C-47v2 on full load and 25 percent fuel.  Scary both ways (the takeoff: throw on full flaps halfway down the runway, roll off the end into the valley and pray).  

Struggling a bit with stuck aircraft - had to slew the C-47 to get it turned around for takeoff, and yesterday wound up with a Twin Otter standing on its tail at Timkenumu.

In all, quite an experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether to congratulate myself or have myself committed, but I just managed to get into and out of Kagi with the Manfred Jahn C-47v2 on full load and 25 percent fuel.  Scary both ways (the takeoff: throw on full flaps halfway down the runway, roll off the end into the valley and pray).  

Struggling a bit with stuck aircraft - had to slew the C-47 to get it turned around for takeoff, and yesterday wound up with a Twin Otter standing on its tail at Timkenumu.

In all, quite an experience.

Gotta hand it to you, Alan! I have the MJ C-47v2, but I think I'll try it out sometime next year... (sigh)

I picked PNG up a few days ago, and have three sessions thus far, all using ASN for weather.

Like many, I suspect - finding and identifying all - even one - of the strips is the first challenge, especially with cloud that seems perennially stuck at 5000' with misty bottoms that hide the next (big) lump of stone... Also - like Fifty-Six - the BirdDog ought to be the "right" aircraft, but I sure got woken up on the first needle in the haystack - Launumo. Full flap and the ragged edge of a stall is not where it needs to be when flaring just ever so (stupidly) early on an uphill runway. A few more ccts around this strip followed by (three or four re-starts back at PM) a shortish search for one (any) of the other strips - suggested that delivering a box of toilet paper to the tribes in this weather was futile, as there would be none left to deliver when/if I eventually got stopped actually on a runway. KRDD was so much more "civilised".

Third session yesterday, and the BirdDog is now back in the hangar at PM, with the A2A Cub cleaned up. The weather was kinder, and I was able to find and identify most of the strips around Kagi, actually landing at finding and positively identifying Launumo, then Bodinumo (looking for, and missing Kagi), then Timkenumo, (looking for and missing Kagi...), and then finally finding Kagi, with Efogi to end the adventure! What a day! I lost ten pounds, but would heartily recommend that Cub as being the way to ease into a PNG Cargo Delivery Service...

I have to say, Ken & Tim - I reckon the PNG package is the greatest, most challenging and exciting piece of software that has been released for FSX! It would be cheap entertainment at twice the price, and gets my 5 stars easily!. I can see months, if not years of flying all kinds of aircraft in this area, and for me at least - it's just what's needed to breath some very new life into the old gal.

Many, many thanks,

pj

Maybe I need to look at buying PNG too...
Welll... you know about flying, and just a tad about praying, so PNG might be good for your soul, Stephen...! Yes - jump right in!

I don't know about me being an "old gal" - more an "old fart", I reckon: come to think about it - you're older than me, so that makes, ahh ...

FSX is the "old gal" here!

Thanks for the great feedback Paul! exactly what we like to hear.. an (ongoing) experience!

I have to say, Ken & Tim - I reckon the PNG package is the greatest, most challenging and exciting piece of software that has been released for FSX! It would be cheap entertainment at twice the price, and gets my 5 stars easily!. I can see months, if not years of flying all kinds of aircraft in this area, and for me at least - it's just what's needed to breath some very new life into the old gal.

Cheers

Tim

Gotta hand it to you, Alan! I have the MJ C-47v2, but I think I'll try it out sometime next year... (sigh)

I picked PNG up a few days ago, and have three sessions thus far, all using ASN for weather.

Like many, I suspect - finding and identifying all - even one - of the strips is the first challenge, especially with cloud that seems perennially stuck at 5000' with misty bottoms that hide the next (big) lump of stone... Also - like Fifty-Six - the BirdDog ought to be the "right" aircraft, but I sure got woken up on the first needle in the haystack - Launumo. Full flap and the ragged edge of a stall is not where it needs to be when flaring just ever so (stupidly) early on an uphill runway. A few more ccts around this strip followed by (three or four re-starts back at PM) a shortish search for one (any) of the other strips - suggested that delivering a box of toilet paper to the tribes in this weather was futile, as there would be none left to deliver when/if I eventually got stopped actually on a runway. KRDD was so much more "civilised".

Third session yesterday, and the BirdDog is now back in the hangar at PM, with the A2A Cub cleaned up. The weather was kinder, and I was able to find and identify most of the strips around Kagi, actually landing at finding and positively identifying Launumo, then Bodinumo (looking for, and missing Kagi), then Timkenumo, (looking for and missing Kagi...), and then finally finding Kagi, with Efogi to end the adventure! What a day! I lost ten pounds, but would heartily recommend that Cub as being the way to ease into a PNG Cargo Delivery Service...

Many, many thanks,

pj

Thanks for the kind words, gotta say Tim and I had a ball making these strips, it would have been released earlier if we hadn't spent so much time testing, I abandoned slewing in favour of a chopper for test flights, weaving in and out of the villages at low level is addictive.

As long as people enjoy this stuff we are keen to do many more packages along the same lines. I've often thought of doing an Air America package.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for the kind words, gotta say Tim and I had a ball making these strips, it would have been released earlier if we hadn't spent so much time testing, I abandoned slewing in favour of a chopper for test flights, weaving in and out of the villages at low level is addictive.

As long as people enjoy this stuff we are keen to do many more packages along the same lines. I've often thought of doing an Air America package.

Cheers

Ken

Ken you're too kind to us!.. Would absolutely welcome these airstrips. CRM has some very challenging ones :)

Ken

In reply - from this thread, Ken:-

All of Susi's trans-Indonesia route airports would be just fine, guys; this could/would provide a beautiful skill-building environment, culminating with the mountain airstrips, and would extend the adventure into something far deeper than the single challenges of Kagi, or Launumu or Bodinumo. Aircraft familiarity; cargo; flight planning; weather; navigation - even a career - all can be present in this terrific millieu of islands, seas and mountains - just as portrayed in these videos!

An "Air America" "Adventure" package could be an expansion to a "SusiAir" "Adventure" package. It's got great possibilities.

All the Best,

pj

Cheers

Ken

Oh yes we do enjoy this, Ken! It was an awesome experience to me, and I have never seen this in an airport project....!

>http://youtu.be/52bt3X-RZ8s

Would love many more airstrip projects like this. Awesome.

That's a real short but oh so sweet video, great landing.

Orbs has bumped the Asia global Landclass project up the list so any packages we do will only get better.

A Suzi Air package sounds like a great idea, Indonesia Papua has a plethora of flying adventures. Guess I'll have to twist Tim's arm to get this under way :)

Archived