A "Wunder"ful Sunday flight in Idaho

Stillwater

Following Tom´s suggestions I picked up his VIP guests in Jackson Hole...

kz75x.jpg

... crossed the Snake River Range ...

nYh1E.jpg

... to follow Swan Valley.

P9frA.jpg

I initially thought this was a scenery mismatch, but indeed this is the Antelope Flats:

0Fl21.jpg

Ririe dam, ...

EWn0q.jpg

... and the city of Idaho Falls.

pdAJi.jpg

However, I took the guests a bit further westwards, across Hell´s Half Arce lava field, ...

C9kWt.jpg

... Atomic City, with its 29 inhabitants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_City,_Idaho) ...

x7kWy.jpg

... Big Southern Butte ...

AT9eq.jpg

... towards Arco. Ok folks, do not leave anything in the plane, and enjoy the sunny day here. Be sure you try the apple crumble prepared this morning by your host!

2bw5X.jpg

I am happy that you enjoyed your trip Gerold. :)

You sure took some nice shots while you were at it.

Arco is pretty much all about the atomic energy site and most of the people who work out that way live in Idaho Falls. At least that was the way of it the last time I cut through that way. Usually when we lived in Boise and my in-laws were in the Archer area (North of Idaho Falls & Rigby, South of Rexburg, West of Ririe) we would travel back and forth via I-15 & I-84. While in Archer we would have to go to Ririe for bread or milk on a Sunday when the little Archer store was closed. On the way from Archer to Ririe is "Big Jud's Country Diner" where you can for a reasonable cost buy the biggest and best burger that can be found on the planet.

Just some local color.

Great pictures, thanks,

Tom Wunder

Southern Idaho never looked so good !! . Well done my friend . :smile: :smile:

Cheers

Brad

Another great set and a very nice and informative narration! Thanks for posting.

Impressive set, all beautiful shots and great ideas. The terrain is crisp clear on those shots.

Wonderful, Gerold, master of the shots! :smile:

Cheers,

I am happy that you enjoyed your trip Gerold. :)

You sure took some nice shots while you were at it.

Arco is pretty much all about the atomic energy site and most of the people who work out that way live in Idaho Falls. At least that was the way of it the last time I cut through that way. Usually when we lived in Boise and my in-laws were in the Archer area (North of Idaho Falls & Rigby, South of Rexburg, West of Ririe) we would travel back and forth via I-15 & I-84. While in Archer we would have to go to Ririe for bread or milk on a Sunday when the little Archer store was closed. On the way from Archer to Ririe is "Big Jud's Country Diner" where you can for a reasonable cost buy the biggest and best burger that can be found on the planet.

Just some local color.

Great pictures, thanks,

Tom Wunder

Once again: thanks for your inspiration, Tom. Plus the burger tip... The best burger I ever had was in Tim Mälzer´s Bullerei in Hamburg (where else?), so if you ever come there....

What a great ride! :)

Fantastic shots Gerold!!

Adam

Beautiful screen shots of a beautiful area

Thank you for the time to comment, mates!

I'd love to travel to Hamburg or to Germany in general Gerold. Although at this point in my life it wouldn't seem likely. When I lived in London in the middle 1970s I had every intention of traveling there. After all with a name like Wunder it is a crime not to have been to Germany. I was able to spend some time in Ireland where my mother's people were from. But my father died before I managed to get to Germany and I had to go to Tacoma to help my mom get things sorted out. By the time I got back to England my vacation time was pretty much used up. When it was starting to build up a bit my wife (finance then) insisted that we go to Idaho for the wedding and that blew my chances for Germany. After that we managed a few "long weekend" sorts of trips to Scotland and Greece and then it was time to head back to the US.

If I ever get a chance at one of Tim's burgers I will jump at the opportunity. And I still recommend Big Jud's fare. In the name of full disclosure Jud is a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my wife's but he still makes great burgers. ;)

Have a great day,

Tom Wunder

I'd love to travel to Hamburg or to Germany in general Gerold. Although at this point in my life it wouldn't seem likely. When I lived in London in the middle 1970s I had every intention of traveling there. After all with a name like Wunder it is a crime not to have been to Germany. I was able to spend some time in Ireland where my mother's people were from. But my father died before I managed to get to Germany and I had to go to Tacoma to help my mom get things sorted out. By the time I got back to England my vacation time was pretty much used up. When it was starting to build up a bit my wife (finance then) insisted that we go to Idaho for the wedding and that blew my chances for Germany. After that we managed a few "long weekend" sorts of trips to Scotland and Greece and then it was time to head back to the US.

If I ever get a chance at one of Tim's burgers I will jump at the chance. And I still recommend Big Jud's fare. In the name of full disclosure Jud is a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my wife's but he still makes great burgers. ;)

Have a great day,

Tom Wunder

Lovely stories we make out of the screenshots here. At least we should keep up with the food tips! Need some from east coast?

Hello Gerold.

The East coast... HMMMM.. well I've spent a bunch of time around Boston mostly a week or two at a time and living in hotels so I do know a lot of good restaurants there. I spent 3 weeks in DC once but I was working for the City of Boise at the time and the city's municipal budget didn't allow for much beyond café chains so that was mostly Denny's and the like. Good basic food with no frills. I (we) lived in Virginia Beach for about 18 months in '76 & '77. We were just getting started then and didn't have a lot of money but I do know some great seafood places there. Also some great places going down the Outer Banks to Cape Hatteras, NC. Good area for saltwater taffy if you have a sweet tooth. You can get some of that right by the Wright Brother's Museum at Kitty Hawk. (Until I drove down the Outer Banks the first time I used to think Kitty Hawk was in Ohio where the Wright Brothers were from.) If you want to talk Florida I lived in Pensacola for 7 months and I spent about 3 weeks in Mayport (by Jacksonville). But most of my eating then was in navy chow halls or in navy clubs and toss in a few meals aboard the FDR (USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CV42) which was in the process of being decommissioned and she wasn't putting out the best of chow at the time. From some late '80s pleasure trips I could point you to some great ribs in Orlando or some nice key lime pie in Titusville just West of the Kennedy Space Center.

Or were you going to give me some eatery tips for the East coast? Probably a ton of good places I know nothing about.

Like you said on another thread this is making me hungry and I have lost a lot of weight but could stand to lose a bit more and this could be counter productive. LOL

Have a great day,

Tom Wunder

(PS - I have been meaning to mention that your first shot on this thread with the clouds swirling around the Tetons is awesome.)

Archived