FTX Northern California in final Beta [21 images]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff, is it me or do the detail in the regions keep getting better and better.. ::)  I'll buy this one too when funds allow(allthough I have a tendency to buy everything Orbx release), and the best part with this scenery wrapping up is that FTX Norway is getting closer. 8) !!

Are you going to add the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge? Just asking...

If you look at the last picture, it IS the new Eastern span.  (Minus the old span, too.)

Sign me up for this one on Day 1.  Ditto for KHAF, when it's available.

Great. Now can't wait for soCal

Well, frankly speaking I would'nt mind having first a 60x120 miles enhancement, at the Eastern border of the new region, say from lake Pyramid down to Bishop. Going Eastbound from Tahoe to Reno then Southbound is first an amazing study in contrast (green/red) and then the HW 395 landscape is fantastic. 

But first things first, lets have fun in the Shasta and the Gold Rush (any ghost towns modeled :smile:?) countries and the Bay Area :lol:  !

FINALLY! It looks drop dead gorgeous!!!

Are you going to add the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge? Just asking...

NorCal is living in the future a bit, Tim made an excellent model of the new eastern span which has totally replaced the old span. In reality the old span is still in place and being slowly deconstructed.

Wow, that really brings back memories. I thought the Bay Area shots would trigger recollections, but the pics from up around Yosemite really bring me back. I lived in Mariposa for a few months in the mid-90's - now I can visit again whenever I like. Very well done as usual.

Hi,

this looks indeed awesome, first region i will buy instantly the second it will be released. After doing some real world GA flying last year in october around frisco bay i have to say the screenshots exactly look like the pictures i took ;-)

Now i'm just hoping half moon bay and San Carlos won't take too long :-)

kind regards

janosch

Great job, folks!  Having lived in NorCal I recognized most of the shots.  NorCal is a VFR paradise and you have captured its essence.  How about some shots of Crater Lake and the northern coast?  Hollister is now KCVH with an AWOS, hope your region has captured this change.  I fly out of Hollister quite a lot and would like to get Hollister weather.  In FSX the weather is either from Monterey or Salinas.

Hi Holger

Ich liebe sie ja alle, diese Standalone FTX-Szenerien. Mit was ich mich aber bis zum heutigen Tag nie so richtig abfinden konnte, sind diese Ortschafts-Collagen a la Bild 5. ???

Solche schnippeleien findet man z.B. in ganz Tongass Fiords nirgends. Lassen sich die Ortschaften nicht etwas gefälliger in die Landschaft einfügen? :mellow:

Sorry for that German Language. ;D

Hi Martin,

[he's commented about the patchwork of the suburban areas in the 5th preview screenshot]

well, apples and oranges: there are less than 20 small communities in the Tongass Fjords area and thus we could place almost all of them as photoreal areas. By contrast there are several hundred towns and cities in the NCA coverage area, similar to PNW, meaning we have no choice but to use raster and polygon landclass. We do our best to fine-tune the polygon shapes and minimize obvious visual issues, like roads cutting through larger building footprints, but if you're dealing with large and highly populated areas there's only so much editing one can do without turning the place into something that might look more pretty but where you can't find your way with VFR charts anymore. 

Cheers, Holger

If you look at the last picture, it IS the new Eastern span. (Minus the old span, too.)

Sign me up for this one on Day 1. Ditto for KHAF, when it's available.

That's actually the western span, past treasure island. The picture before that is the old span, which is being slowly disassembled.

NorCal is living in the future a bit, Tim made an excellent model of the new eastern span which has totally replaced the old span. In reality the old span is still in place and being slowly deconstructed.

Excellent, and I know; I live ten miles from the bridge, and I see it everyday on my commute. :)

That's actually the western span, past treasure island. The picture before that is the old span, which is being slowly disassembled.

It's the western span, sure, but isn't that the eastern span in the background?  It looks like the previous picture is actually the San Mateo bridge, looking towards San Rafael, since that doesn't look like the Oakland toll plaza at the end.  The prison is just out of shot on the left.

In fact, I think pictures 14 and 15 show the Bay Bridge toll plaza, Emeryville and the old NAS.  It took me a while to get my bearings, but you can see Oakland in the distance and the square peninsula park next to the Berkeley marina at the bottom of the shot.  (That's the one where they have all the large kites.)

Isn't it wonderful to be able to have a debate like this about a FS scenery product? :)  It just goes to show how specifically detailed these products have become!

Hi guys,

FYI the second last screenshot shows the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge looking east towards Richmond and Berkeley; attached below is an earlier render of our model. The last preview shows the Oakland Bay bridge from downtown San Francisco with the western span in the foreground and the new eastern span in the background beyond Yerba Buena Island.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-23047400-1390679191_thumb.jpg

TheTallGuy:

" It looks like the previous picture is actually the San Mateo bridge, looking towards San Rafael, since that doesn't look like the Oakland toll plaza at the end"

I think it is the Richmond end of the San Rafael bridge, with the right edge show part of Red Rock and Oakland.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

This is the first Orbx area where I have actually lived - your screenshots brought back tons of wonderful memories!

Bought a C172 in Nevada in FSEconomy and ferrying it to NorCal as we speak in anticipation 8)

Those Yosemite shots are breathtaking!

Hi Martin,

[he's commented about the patchwork of the suburban areas in the 5th preview screenshot]

well, apples and oranges: there are less than 20 small communities in the Tongass Fjords area and thus we could place almost all of them as photoreal areas. By contrast there are several hundred towns and cities in the NCA coverage area, similar to PNW, meaning we have no choice but to use raster and polygon landclass. We do our best to fine-tune the polygon shapes and minimize obvious visual issues, like roads cutting through larger building footprints, but if you're dealing with large and highly populated areas there's only so much editing one can do without turning the place into something that might look more pretty but where you can't find your way with VFR charts anymore. 

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for your response Holger.

Archived