POLL: Should Orbx add a VECTOR control panel?

Should VECTOR have a control panel? (Poll)  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Should Orbx add a simple control panel for VECTOR?

We have an internal control panel written by Bernd from PILOT'S which we're giving to testers to try out for the V1.1 release.

I'll run a poll to see if this would be something customers would like to use. Our original design for the product was to make it install-and-forget, so we never planned to release any of our internal tools. However, we like to think that Orbx is a company that listens to its customers so let's put it to the vote.

Here are some beta screenshots of the simple GUI, nothing fancy, it's not needed:

woIVQ.jpg

7Urb5.jpg

qCULl.jpg

Please can we not descend into arguments in this poll topic? All we need is your vote, yes or no. And before you ask, no we won't add an option to alter road widths, because they are being tweaked for V1.1 and many of the "too wide" roads are just the original V1.0 using the incorrect road classes, something that is being fixed for V1.1.

Over to you!

Thank you for the opportunity to vote

I'm sure not matter what the final decision is...it will be given a lot of thought and be what is best for Vector.

Again...Thanks to all who put these efforts in....it is appreciated. ::)

I voted yes, since you didn't have a 'don't care' option!

I don't own or use any other vector products, so at this point in time "I don't care"!

Good to see you are responding to customer feedback though; pure ORBX! :)

Cheers

For me at least, I don't see anything in the examples shown that would of any benefit.  I mean why would anyone want to deactivate beaches or gold courses? 

I imagine that most of the feedback requesting something like this is going to be coming from people that have had UTX in the past, and judging by the screenshots, what is needed is control over the road width (or verges to be specific) and the ability to deselect minor urban roads.  It's nice to see that Bernd has already confirmed the latter will be added.  It may be that JV is sticking to his guns over the road verges because they are wrong in V1 and will no longer be an issue in 1.1 and to be honest, allowing lots of options to tweak things only leads to more problems in the end, so I can understand the initial idea of install and forget. 

For me at least, I don't see anything in the examples shown that would of any benefit.  I mean why would anyone want to deactivate beaches or gold courses? 

I imagine that most of the feedback requesting something like this is going to be coming from people that have had UTX in the past, and judging by the screenshots, what is needed is control over the road width (or verges to be specific) and the ability to deselect minor urban roads.  It's nice to see that Bernd has already confirmed the latter will be added.  It may be that JV is sticking to his guns over the road verges because they are wrong in V1 and will no longer be an issue in 1.1 and to be honest, allowing lots of options to tweak things only leads to more problems in the end, so I can understand the initial idea of install and forget. 

First of all: you don't have to use the configuration tool - if you're happy with the initial settings (where everythings activated) you can leave everything as it is. Why would someone want to remove some things? I don't know, but why not give the users the opportunity to do it. Some might want to have Traffic Lights deactivated because of a possible framerate impact, others might not like tunnel entries and exits etc. etc. :). I also thought we could make VECTOR an "install and forget" product but the feedback and poll results show that the exact oppositve is required by the community which is why we decided to enhance the product with this feature.

Bernd

And don't forget ability to set the skirting widths in this most appreciated tool from those of us moaning about it, please!

Sorry, I had to seize the opportunity since you're in the giving mood ;)  ... or because I'm lazy and it's a pain to have to edit all those entries.

And don't forget ability to set the skirting widths in this most appreciated tool from those of us moaning about it, please!

Sorry, I had to seize the opportunity since you're in the giving mood ;)  ... or because I'm lazy and it's a pain to have to edit all those entries.

Absolutely!

First of all: you don't have to use the configuration tool - if you're happy with the initial settings (where everythings activated) you can leave everything as it is. Why would someone want to remove some things? I don't know, but why not give the users the opportunity to do it. Some might want to have Traffic Lights deactivated because of a possible framerate impact, others might not like tunnel entries and exits etc. etc. :). I also thought we could make VECTOR an "install and forget" product but the feedback and poll results show that the exact oppositve is required by the community which is why we decided to enhance the product with this feature.

Bernd

Thank you Bernd, Vector definitely has a pretty significant VAS impact -- about 221MB on my system just at a static airport (haven't tested during flight) -- sadly I had to disable Vector in my quest to avoid OOMs, but I would like to bring it back.  So your efforts are MUCH appreciated!  Maybe when/if we ever get a 64bit product you 3rd party developers can stop having to make all this time consuming tools to help all your customers avoid the limits of a 32bit address space.

Maybe it's time for 3rd party developers to start banging on the door of LM for 64bit? :)

Thank you Bernd, Vector definitely has a pretty significant VAS impact -- about 221MB on my system just at a static airport (haven't tested during flight) -- sadly I had to disable Vector in my quest to avoid OOMs, but I would like to bring it back.  So your efforts are MUCH appreciated!  Maybe when/if we ever get a 64bit product you 3rd party developers can stop having to make all this time consuming tools to help all your customers avoid the limits of a 32bit address space.

Maybe it's time for 3rd party developers to start banging on the door of LM for 64bit? :)

Just to be certain: Rob is talking about P3D v2 here. ;)

Great first step and thank for sharing appreciated.

But for me personal I hold off to buy because I want to have more control over what roads to enable or disable similar as UTX.

As a sidestep I'm surpirsed to see still the old skool blending of roads which I personaly don't like compared to the great FTX Global stuff :-)

Will follow this with interest, because when there become more options available to enable and disable then I'm on the fence to purchase.

Cheers,

Everybody has an opinion of course but the intention of this thread was to VOTE for or against the possible addition of a control panel for VECTOR.  Once again there are post after post pro and con?   Just VOTE the results and names are shown in the poll why clutter up the poll with unecessary opinions and feelings that have already been expressed numerous times that have in fact led to the POLL!

I already voted Yes but to the above suggestion, I vote YES again!

Good suggestion Rob.

JJ

I agree with all the "yes" reasons given above and especially roads and performance improvement possibilities by having the ability to turn some of those features off. When flying low and slow nothing spoils the immersion like a big fat road running over or under other structures, and I never look to roads as a source of navigation when I fly.

I've been sitting on the sidelines with respect to Vector and had already decided to be satisfied with FTXGlobal and Open LC's (as they get released). A complete (or almost complete) feature control panel for Vector would be a game changer for me.

Archived