Looking for weather

teecee

For the first time in years I have decided to buy a weather engine for FSX and Prepa3d.. I have no clue as the what is the best.. I don't want a bunch of other stuff included, just weather.. any advice would be appreciated. Teecee.

Teecee, as I am sure you are aware, there will be lots of opinions on this subject. So, here is mine: Active Sky Next, just as Cpt Matt has suggested. I use it soley for the weather generation, and it is the best I have thus far seen (and I have used just about all them ;) )

Active sky or Opusfsx, don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I used to use REX weather engine and it worked great for me, but when I installed P3D V2 I bought Opus because it was V2 ready, I now use Opus in FSX as well, I wish I had gotten it sooner, it really is a great weather engine, also it has camera effects much the same as EZdok.

I own OpusFSX, ASE (the previous version of ASN) and REX Essentials but I would also advice ASN, purely based on users reviews. It seems to be the best one yet. The only reason I don't have it yet is because I use P3D 2.0 and that version hasn't been released yet. I never liked the weather of REX and did use ASE for quite some time until OpusFSX was released, which has been the nr. 1 weather engine according to a lot of people.

I wouldn't advice REX Essentials, specially not when you only want a weather engine. It's been great for textures but when it comes to weather it has never ever been in the top 3 of weather addons. Well, maybe during the time when there were only three weather addons LOL but during the last few years there have been various new weather engines and they ALL beat REX according to, let's say, 95% of the users. Besides, REX Essentials is 'old' now because REX 4 is coming. The fact that REX E is on sale is of no importance: when you want a weather engine, you simply want the best, not the cheapest. ;)

OpusFSX is good but while it started out as an 'easy addon' I think the developer has added to much stuff to it and now it's getting more and more complicated, increasing loading times on the way too. And besides, I use P3D 2.0 and although the dev said OpusFSX was 2.0 compatible, it wasn't completely. The dev does give good support though and you can download an update almost daily (which usually are beta's which are followed by a new beta that corrects errors in the previous beta LOL so you might want to skip those beta updates!)

I have heard good news about FSGlobalRealWeather but not good enough to make me replace OpusFSX. ASN however seems good enough to make me switch, specially now I need a P3D compatible weather engine.

I started out with Rex but have since switched over to Opus. I like Opus a lot, when paired with rex textures it is awesome. Opus also comes with dynamic cameras which is a bonus. Rex was always slow to update to real world weather to me where as Opus seems to be pretty accurate.

as I understand OpusFSX is currently the best in the market today.

based on what I was reading Active Sky Next is catching up on features and capabilities that OpusFSX had in place already ages ago.

I think you might find that ASN is now well ahead due to modelling of turbulence, updrafts and downdrafts and extremely realistic visibility changes in overcast especially coming out into clear air.  Load times for the program are very quick and hassle free.  It's possible opus is up there but I doubt it, not this time :-)

I had Rex, AS2012, Opus and even the free wx program, but FSGRW leaves them all behind, awesome to set up on a network, super simple to use, has localised weather effects, doesnt suffer from Opus' windshift problems and the support is top notch.

Sent from my Mobile thing

I use P3D 2.0 and although the dev said OpusFSX was 2.0 compatible, it wasn't completely.

OpusFSX is fully compatible with P3Dv2, we have a great number of P3D users.

You must run OpusFSX after loading the P3D flight to get over the known P3D SimConnect bug.

Cheryl

I Have tried them all and Opus is the Best in my opinion,  like P3d  people are working to improve it all the Time. Stephen and Cheryl are always in the Forums and working 

on new updates, plus you get cameras.   You can't go wrong with Opus. Works out of the Box in P3dv2

I've tried a bunch of them... They all have their good point and bad points, but I always seem to end up going back to Opus.

Of course, that might change depending on the reviews of then upcoming REX 4 weather engine ;)

I think most will agree that on the texture side of weather, REX has been the best.  Since you are starting up new, Look into REX 4 Texture only so this time you are only paying for what you are using.  Once you are past the texture issues, then you need the weather component to use.  I have tried them all and for me, I am looking for something that simulates the real weather....in other words if the ceiling is at 4000, then I want to see  a ceiling at 4000.  The type of clouds aren't as important as the depiction of reality. All weather mentioned will work, I have tried them all and will probably try the new FS product once available for p3d2.  Just my two cents....

Archived