Orbx products and P3D 2.0 compatibility

John Venema

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For DVD products Ed will be updating the migration tool for P3D2. The only requirement is that you have our addons installed in FSX first so they can be migrated.

Sorry to bother: 

Does that also work for the download versions installed in FSX?

In that case we could use the (unchanged) FSX/P3D-version of the Orbx-add-ons in P3D 2.0 until the updated versions are provided.

That would be fantastic!

There may be some small upgrade fees applicable if a developer decides to embark on a "Version 2.0" upgrade. To be clear, Orbx does not charge for 1.x upgrades, only 2.x upgrades. Depending on the number of hours required to update an airport, there may be a small upgrade fee. That really is up to each developer and the number of hours they devote to the upgrade. Also be aware that the photoreal ground imagery will double in size inside the airport fence if a "non-shadow" version is added.

Wouldn't mind paying upgrade fees but have you considered making products that only works with P3Dv2? Or is it too early asking for that...maybe in a few years when most people have migrated.. ?

For DVD products Ed will be updating the migration tool for P3D2. The only requirement is that you have our addons installed in FSX first so they can be migrated.

Thanks for this John

I'm looking forward to that tool as a good number of my Orbx packages are on DVD.  The thing is after the migration I'll  still have FSX on my system which I will  then want to remove from my PC ......so...will the migration tool provide me with an FSX removal option so that in the end I'll only have P3D2 on my system?

Thanks

Any possibility Ed could provide instructions on how to setup dummy folders if we no longer have FSX installed?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading various websites, forums, blogs and generally absorbing the "buzz" around the imminent release of Prepar3D 2.0 (P3D2), and I feel it is important for us as a company to set expectations for our customers about the level of compatibility of our very large library of products.

Regions

All our regions will be compatible, but they will require new installers to firstly get their patch level consolidated to current versions, and then to add P3D2 option to the installer to make them FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready. We will make these region installers a priority.

Concurrent to that we are now adding the FTX Global 3D lighting and improved performance to all our regions. For example, many customers are now able to experience YMML at 30FPS with autogen maxxed using this new tech, so we won't be making new consolidated installers until each region has the new lighting installed. So please bear that in mind - this is a process that will take some months, please don't expect all our regions to be instantly upgraded and P3D2 ready when Lockheed release the new sim. AU SP4 has been done, and NZ North/South is next, followed by PNW.

Yours in updates :)

Will there also be P3D V2 specific fine tuning in the updates? For example the number of autogen could likely be increase due to the new DX11 capabilities, right?

I would love to fly over PNW, PFJ and SAK with even more autogen trees than there are today. Just a thought.

Will there also be P3D V2 specific fine tuning in the updates? For example the number of autogen could likely be increase due to the new DX11 capabilities, right?

I would love to fly over PNW, PFJ and SAK with even more autogen trees than there are today. Just a thought.

The number of autogen trees per cell has always been a global variable you could set in FSX.cfg. Since that is a global thing I don't think that it can be done per FTX region.

The number of autogen trees per cell has always been a global variable you could set in FSX.cfg. Since that is a global thing I don't think that it can be done per FTX region.

My understanding is that the number in the FSX.cfg is only the upmost limit of such trees. It remains a decision of the developer how dense they "seed" the trees in one specific place.

But I may be wrong...

"FTX Global

We will make a new FTX Global installer which is FSX/P3D1/P3D2 ready. We have already got this working during P3D2 testing so we'll ensure that is a priority for the release so at least you have a base level of Orbx available for P3D2."

If I buy Global over the weekend and then get the 1.1 patch come Monday I will need to run this new installer first then and it will begin from there?

Is this coming out over this weekend?

Also will it be possible to install my old YMML etc, Aus airports on Monday with just global installed. What would I need to install them, I'am new to global so forgive me. Will they work with global and v2. I don't mind them not being perfect as long as there in and working is all I ask.

Thank you very much Till

I've just looked and now the Question is do you need the 1.1 patch or is that a new full up to date version?

The new version is called 110 so it's P3D 2.0 ready AND it has the 1.1 patch build in.

EDIT

My advice: wait until somewhere this week until you download the updated installer. Last week I downloaded the old installer (thinking only the installer exe would be updated) and I had it downloaded in 10 minutes. Right now it will take me 6 days or so to download the files so the servers are very busy! ;) So I decided to wait and not download it today already: if more people do that it will help those who really want it today. I don't expect being able to completely download P3D 2.0 tomorrow anyway (for the same reason as I can't download this new version) so why the rush... Relax and download it all when servers are calm again. ;)

I'm impressed by your customer commitment John - and a touch worried.  The ORBX support for their products has always been an object lesson for others, but maintaining this level through a platform switch like this must have big financial implications - which might not have been foreseen when you first started out down the long trail.  The time all these updates and re-working will take must cost money - I would hate to see ORBX vanish in a financial puff of smoke one day next year!

And I'm sure not alone there - the grief would echo round the world!

No you don't need to uninstall FTX from P3D1 in order to install it into P3D2. Just run the installer twice; once for V1 and again for V2. If you have the HDD space, go for it :)

I'm impressed by your customer commitment John - and a touch worried.  The ORBX support for their products has always been an object lesson for others, but maintaining this level through a platform switch like this must have big financial implications - which might not have been foreseen when you first started out down the long trail.  The time all these updates and re-working will take must cost money - I would hate to see ORBX vanish in a financial puff of smoke one day next year!

And I'm sure not alone there - the grief would echo round the world!

Orbx is a very financially stable company with healthy revenues from many product sources. Because we sell nearly 100 products, we don't rely on a single product to be successful in order to survive, and sometimes we have hits, and other times misses. That is the key to growing a small business - product diversity.

That said, we won't be making P3D2 installers for all products in a single week - we are staging the rollout over 12 months or so, and in this way we spread the workload. The developers themselves will stand to benefit from doing this work, because it creates a third platform for their airports and in the long term the labour cost of doing the work will be returned to them as P3D2 becomes the new defacto platform and customers seek content to install into it. 

Quick question, if one were to purchase and install all ORBX products to date, what size Disk would be required? I am about to purchase a brand new SSD for P3D2 and would like to size it for growth. With FSX and ORBX products I purchased to date I've now filled up my 120GB current SSD. Does anyone know?

Hi Remko.

That's a tough question to ask, but from my perspective, I thought a 128gb SSD was big enough when they first came out a few years back, but that changed quickly.

I now have a 240gb ssd and it's getting too small.

I think that it's a general rule of thumb to buy the biggest (without sacrificing speed) drive you can afford.

The 480 and 500Gb SSD's have come down in price and are somewhat affordable, that's certainly my next choice, if the 1 TB drives don't arrive soon and are affordable.

Frank

Hi. Glad to hear you are on top of P3DV2. I purchased and loaded it last night and it is finally the sim that everyone would want; and for me; a simulation trainer for a student pilot, that gives real performance and offers real world sceneries for total immersion while training. I had P3D 1.4 and as good as it was , it suffered from the same 4G run out of memory problems as FSX, but had much better frame rates.. I finally wound up using P3D soley with ORBX,  megascenery and other sceneries on FSX. Both systems still crashed. FSDT CYVR was beautiful with ORBX , but crashed out of memory with heavies.(PMDG).. So that other purchasers are not disappointed, it is important to note that I have a high end system that finally P3DV2 can utilize. I am running Windows 7 professional. (did my homework and do not recommend Windows 8. Have it on my lap top and this computers copy on the shelf.) , Intel ® Core i7 - 3770 CPU @ 3.5 GHz. (do not overclock), 32 GB of RAM on a 64 bit system and with TWO(yes TWO) Nvidea GeForce GTX680 video cards. All I have done so far is load the simulation with all of the sliders maxed out. As REX weather was already set up for use with FSX and P3D, it loaded seamlessly to my use with P3DV2.I have Global loaded. That is all so far except for the Alabeo piper and R66. They loaded fine. I went to CYVR and the sim gives 40 plus frames per second. At altitude about 25 frames per second. Water over second narrows , Vancouver is phenomenal. And I am sure that if I were to scale back a bit the frame rates would be much higher. Once you get all of your product sent over. I will go P3DV2 only. Too advanced to use the other simulators.  Don Schlecker...       I use Track IR and a 47 inch monitor.

John

Just a question : when you say that AU SP4 installer is ready for the V2, is that online on FSS site ? can we bought it now ?

Thanks

Jean Luc

No Australia SP4 is not ready for P3D 2.0 yet, we released the SP4.003 patch last week to add the FTXG lights but we have not yet recompiled the entire all-in-one installer to be triple-sim ready. That will happen soon.

So far, only FTX Global has been updated for P3D2.

We will create a new pinned topic to update all products that have been made P3D2 ready.

No Australia SP4 is not ready for P3D 2.0 yet, we released the SP4.003 patch last week to add the FTXG lights but we have not yet recompiled the entire all-in-one installer to be triple-sim ready. That will happen soon.

We will create a new pinned topic to update all products that have been made P3D2 ready.

That would be great thanks John :)

So far the talk was about the AU SP4 combination. What about us early birds who have the AU regions Gold, Blue, Green and Red seperately? Will the triple installers come out at the same time or later, or can the guys with all 4 regions download the new AU SP4 file?

John,

may I suggest that the planned P3D2 ready topic be a locked topic.  No need to have to read a gazillion atta boy posts to find out when the latest P3D2 ready ORBX product is available.

"That said, we won't be making P3D2 installers for all products in a single week - we are staging the rollout over 12 months or so, and in this way we spread the workload. The developers themselves will stand to benefit from doing this work, because it creates a third platform for their airports and in the long term the labour cost of doing the work will be returned to them as P3D2 becomes the new defacto platform and customers seek content to install into it."

May I have a clarification on the above quote? It seems to say two things:

1. It may take up to a year before we can use one or more of our purchased products in P3D V2.0

2. There may be a cost to obtain one or more of these updated products that will run in P3D V2.0

Thanks,

Some troubles with trees in Prepar3d V2 and Honolulu (FTX Global)

I think I saw a post at Avsim forums where someone tried bumping the texture resolution up to 4096 and it fixed the trees . I had the same exact problem (Ford's Island and other parts of the Islands) when I had my Texture Resolution at 2048 . when I bumped it up to 4096 the very strange , blocky , distorted tree texture were fixed . I too am running FTX Global 1.1 and unfortunately did not check this problem with default textures only . I'm sure it will all get ironed out over time .

Thanks John - that'll sure help.

And really liked your response to Ariel above!

As always, excited about the superlative quality ORBX always brings to the simulation experience!  Thanks so much to all of you for your hard work!!

I just had a hardware issue with my system, so I've taken the opportunity to reinstall windows and have REPLACED FSX with P3D 2.0.  Does your above statement mean I'll have to reinstall FSX in order to use my considerable DVD collection of regions and airports??  

Thanks in advance,

Drizzle

Excellent news, John! I was already impressed by the quality of your service, I couldn't imagine it could be even better than it was before - well, you just keep proving it can.

ORBX is really an outstanding company.

A quick question - I don't remember if that was some rumour or if it was an official announcement, but I had the impression someone said the autogen trees in NA regions would be updated to more efficient (performance wise) models, such a the ones used for NZ. Is that kind of update also planned?

I Have just purchased the EU England a couple of days ago for P3D2 and found out I need a compatible installer for it, reading that global has it already I am assuming that there is installers getting pushed out soon for the all products and should check my downloads for an update.

is this correct what I am thinking.

thanks Ken

Archived