Orbx products and P3D 2.0 compatibility

John Venema

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the update of PNW, PFJ and SAK also include that the default trees are replaced by the Orbx-trees? They are allegedly lighter on the frames. So there could be much more trees displayed then before.

Together with the new lights and the fact that water settings are no longer of high impact this could be stunning!

Thanks for the update! That's great news JV! A lot of hard work ahead...take your time guys and good luck with it all...It'll be great in the end! :smile:

All the best,

Sid

• 2 weeks later...

As always, excited about the superlative quality ORBX always brings to the simulation experience!  Thanks so much to all of you for your hard work!!

I just had a hardware issue with my system, so I've taken the opportunity to reinstall windows and have REPLACED FSX with P3D 2.0.  Does your above statement mean I'll have to reinstall FSX in order to use my considerable DVD collection of regions and airports??  

Thanks in advance,

Drizzle

I'm in the same situation, I do not own FSX.

There are a bunch of ORBX DVD's on sale at FSS that I would like to buy. Can you confirm that If I purchase these I'll be able to install them onto PREPAR3D v2 without purchasing or reinstalling FSX?

Thanks.

That is exactly why I have asked the question. Here's the line from that link -

"If you purchased the Orbx products from a reseller on DVD, you will have to use the P3D2 Migrator Tool to link from the products installed into FSX."

If a new flight simmer buys Prepar3d and then some ORBX DVD's (and the website says it's for FSX or Prepar3D) , surely they will not be asked to buy FSX to install them?

And as time passes and more people leave FSX, they'll be building new setups, or reinstalling clean, they are not going to want to reinstall FSX. But they'll still have their ORBX DVD collection.

I want to buy some ORBX products, just want to be sure FSX isn't part of the requirement. 

The way I see this is there is only one P3D v2 compatable, and that is FTX Global Base V1.1 as John has said.

When the new installer is available you can install DVD with it, but it has not been relased yet.

All Orbx stuff will eventually have 3 options to install FSX P3dv1.4 and P3D v2, this is how I think it will eventually work, but a lot of work needs to be done before this happens, just wait awhile and it will all fall into place, these guys at Orbx are really good at what they do, just give them time.

If like myself you already own a lot of stuff, FSS will contact you via email to let us know when an update is ready to download. 

Wombat I have no issue with ORBX's good intentions, but the very link you pointed out says the updated installer will only be for downloaded products, and that DVD users have to install via FSX.

If you can show me somewhere ORBX say an installer will be supplied for DVD products I'll have no issue.

yep, it does not mention an installer for DVD products, but I am sure something will be in the works down the track, I could not see Orbx leaving customers of DVD's out in the cold.

why not try starting a new topic in   http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/179-prepar3d%C2%AE-v2x-support-forum/

asking your question, that's the quick way to get a reply, new questions seem to get answered very quick

I too am earnestly hoping for a means of installing my considerable library of ORBX DVDs (and a few downloaded items) into P3D V2.  None of it was purchased through FSS, so I won't be getting that e-mail inviting me to re-download everything...

I have erased FSX from my flying computer, and will be disappointed if I have to reinstall FSX in order to properly install ORBX into P3D.  Not only do I fear the size of the duplicate installations, but I have some reservations of introducing those annoying conflicts through the dual-install...  

Looking forward to hearing if there will be a 'clean install' tool offered for those of us in my shoes.

Bumps in the road.  Nice to have small problems like this in dealing with FTX!!  I'm not always this lucky....

Drizzle

There is no easy solution for those who have DVDs which can only be installed into FSX or P3D1.x

A DVD has an installer that is burnt on the disc and cannot be modified, so the only solution is to install it as originally intended (for FSX or P3D1) and migrate the addons across using the Migrator tool.

I'm sorry if that is not the news you want to hear but you can understand that when those DVDs were produced (some of them up to 5 years ago) P3D2 was not even thought about or announced. We cannot cover every future contingency in our product releases. Who knows what issues face Orbx if there is a new 4th simulator platform we have to support. All customers with DVDs will face the same issue again.

Personally I believe that many people have been too hasty in deleting FSX off their computers. When you can purchase HD storage for less than 1c per GB it should not be an issue to run things side-by-side until all developers have time to properly move products to P3D2.

Thanks for the info John.  Have you considered the possibility of allowing those of us that have purchased DVD's to download the updated download versions from FSS when they are ready?  If those that originally bought download versions can re-download up to 100 times then surely you can make some arrangements for those of us that purchased the DVD version from FSS...your thoughts?

Cheers

Wrench

I agree with Wrench's idea to be able to download the updated airports when they become available for those that purchased DVD versions. As can be seen in my sig I would definitely want to install these Orbx airports into P3Dv2.  All my DVD purchases have been from FS Pilot Shop and I am not sure if they receive uploads on updated Orbx products?   I also have a question regarding Orbx regions that have been previously purchased on DVD.  If there is no official installer made available then how could I manually port them over?  Is this Estonia Migration tool sufficient to do the job or is there more to it?

Thanks

I agree with Wrench's idea to be able to download the updated airports when they become available for those that purchased DVD versions. As can be seen in my sig I would definitely want to install these Orbx airports into P3Dv2.  All my DVD purchases have been from FS Pilot Shop and I am not sure if they receive uploads on updated Orbx products?   I also have a question regarding Orbx regions that have been previously purchased on DVD.  If there is no official installer made available then how could I manually port them over?  Is this Estonia Migration tool sufficient to do the job or is there more to it?

Thanks

Just read through the P3Dv2 threads....forget about the Estonia Migration tool as Orbx will be developing their own migration tool for DVD products installed in FSX. Cant wait!

Piper

What I can glean from what JV says about their own migration tool and their other business commitments; that tool might be a long way from coming.

My suggestions is really quite simple.  Forget the tool idea entirely and let the DVD holder s download updates like everyone else.  Re-sellers like FSS generally have our purchase details so it's easy to verify our legitimate purchases.

But I'm like you on this one I can't wait either

Cheers

Wrench

somebody said that Orbx will not support any installer from other sources than Orbx, there are a lot of things Orbx has to do to sort out an installer, they do a good job, I have downloads mostly so will just wait for an email from Adrien @ FSS.

...... I had P3D 1.4 and as good as it was , it suffered from the same 4G run out of memory problems as FSX, but had much better frame rates.......

Hopefully you're aware of that P3D v2 is also a 32 bit program like FSX and P3D v1.4!

Spirit

I have installed and reinstalled FTX in P3D V2 more the once with all the updates and my 3d lighting is still showing as a square box!! can some please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thnx

Tony

Tony,

what your doing wrong is trying to install FTX software into P3d V2 without a proper installer.  ORBX has repeatedly said that other than FTX Global you will have to wait for them to release an installer for each scenery they sell.  As installers become available FSS will email those who purchased the software from them.  Just have to wait for the installers to be made available.

Actually,  this problem occurs when I disable Volumaytic Fog!! the moment I enable it the squares are gone!! is there a way that the 3D lighting will work fine with volumatic fog disabled?

Volumatic Fog is really anoying in V2!!

Thnx

Tony

Actually,  this problem occurs when I disable Volumaytic Fog!! the moment I enable it the squares are gone!! is there a way that the 3D lighting will work fine with volumatic fog disabled?

Volumatic Fog is really anoying in V2!!

Thnx

Tony

It's a known bug that has to be solved buy either Orbx or LM: nothing you can do about it right now apart from disabling Volumetric fog...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JV:  I like many no longer have FSX or P3D1.4 installed.

I suspect I will have to re-purchase download versions when the v2 installers are available where I have the DVD version at present.

However my experience is now showing that, scenery and aircraft with P3D v2 installers race along with very satisfying fps and smoothness.

My experiience is now showing that ported FSX, P3D v1.4 add-ons can really slow things down and give those blocks for trees and distortions for buildings.  But the pure v2. installers are giving a great performance.

So please the NZs, the rest of the UK, and YBBN and YMML asap.

And of course the OLC Europe, so chop chop!!!!!

John and all:

I have P3DV2 installed, am not thrilled ( yet? ) as my fps are around 8-12. I hope that this will improve over time.

I am looking forward to seeing that FTX EUR Germany ( or Middle Europe ) is being announced. In anticipation of such an announcement, can you point me to

a. a compatibility list with FTX Global;

b. give me ( and I am sure, others ) an instruction as to the sequence in which the sceneries are to be installed?

During my FSX and P3DV1.4 time, I bought and installed UTX, GEX, VFR Germany ( several ), German airports ( several ). I thought that I should install them again in P3DV2 and FTX Global (which I bought recently ). But in another forum, I saw that it might be unwise to combine the sceneries ( LC, textures, photorealistic packs,... ) with FTX Global.

Thank you,

Volker

I am looking forward to seeing that FTX EUR Germany ( or Middle Europe ) is being announced. In anticipation of such an announcement, can you point me to...

Hey, do you know something we don't? <_<  I don't believe there will be something like that in the near future.

Concerning the other products: GEX is completely replaced by FTX Global (both are doing the same).

UTX is replaced by FTX Global Vector and partly by upcoming OpenLC EU (if you intend to buy those).

VFR Germany is photorealistic so it overrides everything else.

German Airports is FSX/P3D1.4 so do it at your own risk (expect low FPS and artefacts as they were designed for DX9c).

I hope this helps.

Many thanks John and the OrbX team. This has solidified my intention of purchasing P3D2, as I was quite concerned that all my payware would become redundant.

I look forward to buying FTX Global in the near future!

vtracy: apart from the menu bar suggestion, I would firmly believe that one or many of those FTX and 1.4 add-ons are the source of your problems.

I would strongly advise that you do a total uninstall of P3D, including removing any folders in Roaming, Documents and C Drive as well as the main folder.

Then re-install P3D v2, FTX Global and Vector with the v2 installer, Aus SP4 with the v2 installer, NIR and Eire then be patient.  You can take liberties with most airports as they will insall into any version or FSX but you may lose the flows.

But check fps after all non v-2 installs, separately,

I also have the new Carenado B1900D, the BBS Airbus series, the IFlySimsoft 737 NG.

But others have has success with a wide range of aircraft.  But if a particular model hit framerates hard in FSX expect the same in v2.  It is not a magic solution to all our woes.

But above all be patient.  

Treat v2 like a brand new simulator, and be grateful that there is so much backward compatibility.  There wasn't between FSX an the earlier FS2004.

I find Global and Vector a good combination to wait out the arrival of more installers and new material.

vtracy: apart from the menu bar suggestion, I would firmly believe that one or many of those FTX and 1.4 add-ons are the source of your problems.

I would strongly advise that you do a total uninstall of P3D, including removing any folders in Roaming, Documents and C Drive as well as the main folder.

Then re-install P3D v2, FTX Global and Vector with the v2 installer, Aus SP4 with the v2 installer, NIR and Eire then be patient.  You can take liberties with most airports as they will insall into any version or FSX but you may lose the flows.

But check fps after all non v-2 installs, separately,

I also have the new Carenado B1900D, the BBS Airbus series, the IFlySimsoft 737 NG.

But others have has success with a wide range of aircraft.  But if a particular model hit framerates hard in FSX expect the same in v2.  It is not a magic solution to all our woes.

But above all be patient.  

Treat v2 like a brand new simulator, and be grateful that there is so much backward compatibility.  There wasn't between FSX an the earlier FS2004.

I find Global and Vector a good combination to wait out the arrival of more installers and new material.

I second that!!!! When experimenting with P3D2 make sure you make a backup copy so you might not need to reinstall. However install add ons one at a time. Try them out one after the other.

Another advice, read the forums. P3D2 is not a fire-and-forget-software you need to understand a few things to configure it for your system. If you have questions ask the LM guys they are always in for help.

Keep in mind P3D2 is different -a whole lot different. Forget UTX GEX as they were never meant to work with and were never made for it cause of LM EULA (i will not go further than this) I tried german airports EDDS -sadly not working, i uninstalled it.

Addons like FTX G+Vector and FSGenesis and/or Pilots Mesh are intended to work with P3D2. They perform pretty well. Lots of 3rd party aircraft work with P3D2 but may cause minor to heavy FPS loss.

Lastly LM will release v2.05 with lots of bug fixes.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived