Name of the future FTX region

Jezzebell

Nothing is decided on that yet, both that and SRM are only in pre-planning stages, and I believe we are heading north again to Alaska or east to Europe after NCA

Thanks, Tim.

Alaska and north regions much better for me. :)

If I may, what happened to the North East? The Old Colonies need a dedicated full fat area! Long Island would be a magnificent addition, and the same goes for Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC ... If I remember correctly, an area up there was in the list, why was it canceled?

I personally do not like northern areas, I'd rather fly in temperate / tropical / equatorial skies, that is why I fell in love with your Australia scenery.

There are only 6/7 of us who work on the regions, and we focus on one at a time, they take a hugely vast amount of research, time and resources to produce so the decision on the 'next region' is always decided by John. a decision that normally firms up upon completion of the current region the team is working on.

We always look at many possibilities, and gauge public opinion, sentiment etc.. you have to sow the right seed in the correct garden bed to survive :)

Whilst FTX Global Vector is no substitute for the full-fat regions (and why we will continue to develop those), it will certainly provide a 70% good-enough solution for most parts of the world until the regions team devotes their expertise to the little details. In this way the east coast of the USA will look substantially better and have the FTX Global textures to suffice as an interim measure. Yes, I know it's not the same but it's one way we can provide an 'in-between' solution.

Whilst FTX Global Vector is no substitute for the full-fat regions (and why we will continue to develop those), it will certainly provide a 70% good-enough solution for most parts of the world until the regions team devotes their expertise to the little details. In this way the east coast of the USA will look substantially better and have the FTX Global textures to suffice as an interim measure. Yes, I know it's not the same but it's one way we can provide an 'in-between' solution.

Another option is photographic scenery. You will not get autogen buildings or trees, which IMO make them unsuitable for urban areas as well as heavily forested areas. However for desert-y places like Arizona and Nevada, they are great.

Frankly, Orbx sim flying is the best, spoils us when looking at other scenery options.

I have flown the Orbx Northwest for a few years "been there, done that".

Alaska is OK but how many ice fields do I need to fly over?

Yes, the American East coast is the forgotten land and every bit as interesting as the PNW.

I wonder how many computer pilots live East?

I would think it is quite a large market compared with other parts of the world.

All I want is FTXG+Vector+OpenLC with Large Airport Packs at region level quality. The default FSX airports are a fly in the FTXG/Vector soup. :(

I would pay $9.95 per VFR Sectional worth of retouched airports. Poll the masses and I bet they would agree.

Charles.

Well, I couldn't help noticing that the best Orbx regions (uhmmm.... maybe not just Orbx) are those not too flat, with few urban installments, and even those not too large.

It is also true that the only city scenery that we spoiled people would deem as acceptable (brilliant in fact) is Orbx Canberra. Any other urban scenery lacks some detail, Orbx or not. I've been looking with curiosity at the beautiful photoreal buildings rendition of Manhattan that has been around for a while (forgot the creator's name, soz) and I think Orbx need to use that sort of technology, otherwise any big city will look suspect or will end up in a frame rate bomb.

Maybe P3D 2.0 will give some chance to do a better work, for now the fact remains that any flat region with a lot of autogen or custom buildings is a problem. And then there is the VFR landmarks placement problem, not a small one. Maybe (I'm asking JV) this is the reason behind some choices?

Just viewing the first post and map. No doubt, the State of Texas (more commonly referred to as the Republic of Texas by Texans) will be an Orbx Region area of it's own. :)

My 2 cents: Look again at the map in the first post. The completed areas and forthcoming Alaska and Northern California seem to dictate it's only reasonable to continue the work from those areas moving eastward across NA.

Just viewing the first post and map. No doubt, the State of Texas (more commonly referred to as the Republic of Texas by Texans) will be an Orbx Region area of it's own. :)

My 2 cents: Look again at the map in the first post. The completed areas and forthcoming Alaska and Northern California seem to dictate it's only reasonable to continue the work from those areas moving eastward across NA.

And if you look again *very hard* at the map you will notice they're following the mountains... ;)

Sorry, Texas...

Edit: a good name for that unnamed region would be SLNC, salty lakes and nuclear craters :D

There is a lot to love about the Lone Star State, but I'm not sure captivating aerial scenery is going to be one of them -- unless you are moved by the sight of oil refineries and petrochem plants off in the distance. 

Now, if you want mountains (generally ORBX does), then I think this thing could be heading for New Mexico, and maybe part of Far West Texas, around El Paso.

Nothing is decided on that yet, both that and SRM are only in pre-planning stages, and I believe we are heading north again to Alaska or east to Europe after NCA

SCA is going to be a great seller, when you guy do finally get around to doing it.

How many simmer want their homeland done? That is the real question.

If yes, well do the US east coast because it's where the majority of the people are in NA.

Most GA simmer like mountain and valley area to fly in and out, why, it's beautiful and challenging 

Me I don't care about my homeland. I ratter discover something else.  For now my ORBX benchmark is NZ south (and north very close)

I even think I prefer CRM over PNW.

I also love the gold coast of Australia because I own most airport and it as a nice feel of vacation with some amazing airport.

Just bought AU Green and Cairns.... what a masterpiece. I don't know how I have miss this one.

Before I got deep into ORBX product Aerosoft Madeira was MY benchmark and still is an amazing scenery.... but sadly it's in the middle of nowhere. 

As a Canadian I could care less about snow season or remote region like Alaska, but that's me.

As a real pilot flying over flat land and snow is the most boring and dangerous (just try to find a spot for an emergency landing) thing.

But I can see from some JV post that everything that I love are not the best ORBX (selling wise) product. I remember he said that Alaska sold like 10 time faster (or more) then NZ. Well try to beat NZMF. You can spend days around, in and out NZMF and never get bored. Make me want to go there for real.

Ben

I totally agree with Ben, and I will go one step further -- those of us that DO have their hometown done in ORBX know that it is not really 100% real.  Some are even disappointed to learn that they cannot see the corner store or the field or parking lot or school or whatever right where they live or where they grew up.  It just is not going to be able to provide THAT level of detail.  Close but not that close. 

It cannot be 100% photo real, but it is pretty damn good.

Like Ben, I want to fly someplace else.  And that someplace else depends on what mood I am in -- just like what genre of music I feel like listening to.  Maybe I feel like NZ today, or maybe I like some Southern England or some Scotland or whatever... I have them all, and I love them all.  And it just never gets old because I have this great selection...

+1 Ben and Ripcord, going exploring in an area you're unfamiliar with is more satisfying somehow.

I'm a Kiwi but flying Orbx NZ as great as it is, often feels like ticking off boxes as you fly over familiar areas- "hey they nailed that, yep they nailed that too, hmmm they didn't quite nail that", etc- its fine but just not as immersive as flying over a totally new landscape for the first time...the Rockies are where I spend most of my time now.

But on the OP topic I wonder if Orbx will continue expanding one contigious area now that we have Global textures to fill the gaps. Jumping over to a high-interest area even if it means leaving a gap somewhere would be fine with me now, especially if that area included Vegas and the Grand Canyon ::)

ORBX need thread like that and it should have pages and pages.

I will go a bit further then Ripcord >:D

Why built airport so far then other. EX, PF as 3 airport, 2 up north... completely alone and far from everything else?

CRM, 3 at fully east.

Just asking.

But I guess that you are putting a lot of time an energy in Global so I understand.

Next on my list is 2 more AU Gold coast airport. YBUD & YCDR so the region will be a fully immerse place to fly.

My wish, more medium size airport for bigger plane. My new toys are the DC-8, 767 and the Q400.

Ben

Northern Alaska seems like a waste of time, effort and energy to me. How many more large snow covered mountains does a person need to see?

I bought PFJ because I wanted to be supportive. I rarely fly there. I don't care for vast areas of giant mountains in cold environments. I prefer warmth. New Zealand and parts of Australia and PNW are good to me. The UK has good points but Wales stopped me from buying Scotland (or Ireland or anything else up there). I will buy Scotland though. But I cannot see myself buying Northern Alaska. I doubt I'd buy Norway. I wish the NEM idea would be brought back to life. There is much good in that area. Do we really need more giant snow covered mountains? Can you imagine an entire region that resembles the hills and valleys section of PNW (near Valley View 5S9)? Deciduous covered small rolling mountains...bright green in the Spring and multicolored orange, yellow and red in the Fall. It even gets covered with snow in the Winter for those that like that sort of thing. Me, I don't like the cold.

just my .02

France VFR is based (except for two regions) on photographic sceneries. I don't like that. I prefer Orbx  dev and I hope France will be cover by an Orbx region

Franck, I simply use the VFRTrueLanscape product and the Objects&Landmarks from France VFR, and it is quite nice - particularly with FTX Global.  I chose not to buy their 'regions' but I did buy all their airports, which fit nicely..  For me it is a nice blend, but I agree that a proper OBRX FTX France would be better.

Northern Alaska seems like a waste of time, effort and energy to me. How many more large snow covered mountains does a person need to see?

I bought PFJ because I wanted to be supportive. I rarely fly there. I don't care for vast areas of giant mountains in cold environments. I prefer warmth. New Zealand and parts of Australia and PNW are good to me. The UK has good points but Wales stopped me from buying Scotland (or Ireland or anything else up there). I will buy Scotland though. But I cannot see myself buying Northern Alaska. I doubt I'd buy Norway. I wish the NEM idea would be brought back to life. There is much good in that area. Do we really need more giant snow covered mountains? Can you imagine an entire region that resembles the hills and valleys section of PNW (near Valley View 5S9)? Deciduous covered small rolling mountains...bright green in the Spring and multicolored orange, yellow and red in the Fall. It even gets covered with snow in the Winter for those that like that sort of thing. Me, I don't like the cold.

just my .02

Northern AK probably also implies Western AK; Kodiak Island and the Aleutians, so maybe there is a little more shoreline for you and less mountains, but I think I get your point -- you prefer less remote areas, where you don't have to fly for hours to get anywhere.  Fair enough, I can understand that.  But bush flying is popular and apparently it sells.  So I think maybe that addresses question about it being a waste of time and energy.

Like you, I would also really have liked to have NEM.  I was stationed in Maine for a couple years in the service and that is pretty country up there.

I think the SRM region should also include that as yet unnamed area encompassing Nevada and Utah.  The entire area could be called U.S. Western Mountains, or just U.S. West.  Yes, it's a large area but the terrain is pretty similar over large swaths of it, so it could be done as a single "full fat" region.

Follow this with a Southern California region, and then finally a U.S. Southwest region which would include Arizona, New Mexico, and Western Texas.

Dave

Or Fly?

" From a financial standpoint, I think future regions should be where the most pilots live. " 

That may be the problem.

Because so many pilots know the East coast, from New England down to Florida, I think the East is a real challenge for developers to get it right.

There have been some city areas produced but putting together an eastern expanse like PNW, PFJ, and AK is probably too much for developers, even Orbx.

I am sure it is much easier to produce snow fields and vast plains. The East is a thriving environment. What a challenge for developers. The roads, mountains, rivers, ports, farm land and cities both large and small all along the East Coast that stretches for more than a 1000 miles.

IMHO, nothing else in the world even comes close.

" From a financial standpoint, I think future regions should be where the most pilots live. " 

That may be the problem.

Because so many pilots know the East coast, from New England down to Florida, I think the East is a real challenge for developers to get it right.

There have been some city areas produced but putting together an eastern expanse like PNW, PFJ, and AK is probably too much for developers, even Orbx.

I am sure it is much easier to produce snow fields and vast plains. The East is a thriving environment. What a challenge for developers. The roads, mountains, rivers, ports, farm land and cities both large and small all along the East Coast that stretches for more than a 1000 miles.

IMHO, nothing else in the world even comes close.

I really don't have experience of the area, but I agree, lots of people fly there.

I think the SRM region should also include that as yet unnamed area encompassing Nevada and Utah.  The entire area could be called U.S. Western Mountains, or just U.S. West.  Yes, it's a large area but the terrain is pretty similar over large swaths of it, so it could be done as a single "full fat" region.

Follow this with a Southern California region, and then finally a U.S. Southwest region which would include Arizona, New Mexico, and Western Texas.

Dave

+1

This would give us a large contiguous area to fly across with diverse and beautiful scenery suitable for short hops all the way up to 4-5 hour airline flights.  After that I think it would make sense, both economically and scenery wise to move to the eastern side of the continent and work south from the Maritime Provinces going as far inland as Pennsylvania and West Virginia and down to Florida and perhaps even the Carribean! The Prairie Provinces and Central Plains should look pretty good with FTX Global+Vector and Landclass alone. Then we can enjoy flying from coast to coast.

well, I for one live on the East coast of the US, and I would rather see lots of places done before my home area.  there's really no bad place to put an FTX region really, but I think Alaska needs to be finished first.  I can appreciate a little the wants of folks who like flying in more populated areas, but Alaska is such an aviation-centric place that it needs to be done the way only ORBX knows how.  Aviation matters in Alaska, more than any other place in the country, and more than most places in the world.  GA isn't for hundred dollar hamburgers on the weekend, it's for food, medicine, and supplies.  It's how the hunting guides, the exploration teams, and the native inhabitants get around.  throw in the challenge of the weather, and the topography, and it's a great place to fly.  The Rockies and the southwest should be done as well, but lets see what the team can do with Alaska first.

We have Orbx Alaska and have also flown Tongass for "years", Really neat.

Snow fields, prairies, vast landscapes; villages open to the sea. Been everywhere and done all of that.

But we have always "actually flown" and lived in the East and have found the available East's scenery packages to be below the Orbx and Tongass touch of reality.

There are pieces of the East here and there but nothing that compares to a full Orbx region.

We guess the East is just too demanding, too much to replicate, so many environments and that's why it is a fly over.

We still love flying our Orbx Pacific coast, from the second seat

I live in the US, near the east coast, in Tennesee and I have no desire really to have east coast scenery. I have seen most of the Eastern seaboard  in real life by air, by helo and plane, and for the most part it is flat and boring with lots of urban areas. Granted, there are some smaller mountain ranges here and there, but nothing to compare with the Western seaboard of North America, especially Alaska. I guess it's just not that exciting when it comes down to it. Now, with FTX Global out and LC and Vector on the horizon, I think that should cover it enough for a long while. Now, this is all just my opinion. I just don't have much interest to fly in that area at all. There are so many other areas that Orbx has done that are dramatic or exciting that I would rather fly there. And for new areas, I would much rather fly in and explore new areas of the world that I have not traveled to at all or very little. The magic of really learning about Australia using FTX as a vehicle has not worn off for me. The same is just beginning for me with the FTX EU area as I begin to exlore there and obtain those regions as well as New Zealand. So, for new regions and no particular order, I would like to see more of Alaska, the Carribean, South America, Africa, Southern Europe, or even Hawaii. Sure the Carribean and Hawaii have been done before, but not by Orbx. And for me, there is no substitute.

Just my thoughts folks :)

What about from Labrador to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia? There is a lot of different terrains from flat to fjords to steep coastlines! :)

Okay, I could go for Labrador to Nova Scotia, I'll give you that. But I would cut it off south of Maine.

Archived