Microsoft: There may be a glimmer of hope yet.

Simnut

"I think it's fair to say that we've lost our way a bit in supporting Windows games," Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer admitted. "But we're back."

"You'll see us doing more stuff on Windows. We probably have more individual projects on Windows than we've had in ten years at Microsoft Studios."

"At the launch of Windows 8, we had about 30 games in the Windows Store. A lot of those you'd consider lightweight or casual games... But we've covered all of that property now. Now we're starting to look at bigger and core gamer things. I'm excited by that."

I'd be prepared to forgive Microsoft a lot of their former crimes if they'd just bring some 64bit FS our way! Admittedly it's a very small glimmer of hope but you never know, if the flight sim community talk it up enough, they may be watching in Redmond.

I can't see Microsoft producing another flight simulator after the abortion that was flight. You'll have more chance of P3D being released as an entertainment product :lol:

Yeah, Microsoft aren't known for their sudden changes of direction! No wait............... :mellow:

"There's already evidence that Microsoft isn't focusing exclusively on Xbox. In fact, many of One's games are also coming to PC, including Titanfall and Project Spark. In the case of Spark, you'll be able to play and share content between Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 8, and Surface. Having that kind of interoperability is crucial to improving the value of Xbox Live, Spencer points out. "Let's start to act like a true first-party across all these devices. A service like Xbox Live that knows me and my content and my friends and achievements across all these devices. I think that's an advantage for us."

Consumers no longer expect services to be stuck to one device, Spencer pointed out. "For us, we're first-party across all Microsoft devices. We definitely think about ourselves that way in our studios. If you think about a service like Spotify or Netflix, you expect that service to work on any device you have. For some games, it will be similar. I just want to have an Xbox Live account and it works on my phone, on my console, and my Windows machine. And then I'll be able to access my content in a screen-appropriate way."

You may well be right. I don't doubt that the likelihood is that it's all very unlikely. It's not outside the realms of possibility though. I tend to be an optimist.

Just my opinion BUT I see Microsoft getting into the game scene for one reason and that is online gaming with a fee to play.  I also would venture a guess that the venue will be XBox based as well.

This is already the case on the Xbox with Xbox Live and has been since 2002. 

I am sorry, but I'd rather sign a petition to Microsoft NOT to engage in flight simulation again. After their attitute towards FSX, Game Studios, Flight, Win 8 etc. I lost any confidence in them.

Regards, Michael

Maybe we should all sign a petition send it to Microdaft and then offer to fund it through Kickstarter...think they'd go for that? 

I thought about that but there would need to be a certain community spirit there to begin with, a positivity that I just don't see any more, as evidenced in this thread already. I could be wrong, maybe JV and his compatriots could start a petition on behalf of the "community" with one of the online petition sites and urge the 24,146 members of this site to sign. That would be a good start and maybe start a groundswell of interest. If some unknown individual like you or I were to do it, it would undoubtedly go nowhere. It would take someone influential in the community like JV to do it for it to gain any traction. Even if he/they did, that negativity that we see all over now might kill it before it got started.

I am sorry, but I'd rather sign a petition to Microsoft NOT to engage in flight simulation again. After their attitute towards FSX, Game Studios, Flight, Win 8 etc. I lost any confidence in them.

Regards, Michael

+1

I  don't see MS reopening there Flight Sims ever again unless they have something almost in the can now. Like Spud wrote PC gaming is swinging towards the free to play with game  store add-ons. MS FS would have probably "augered in" and become an "I pad novelty"  by now if not for pay-ware addons . "Flight" is excellent evidence of this and flight sims only thrive and flourish with  player and third party SDK availability again in my opinion this is why "Flight" fumbled right from the starting gate, I know my stomach fell when I read "Steam" hopped on board as "Steam" is what dummied up my beloved "Total War" franchise. The third party SDK add-ons is where the MS Flight Sims profitability eventually evolved and probably why the studio shut its doors.  

Dreamer 

Regards, Michael

+1

Who needs MS, if we have Orbx, P3D and lots of other dantastic add ons? FS never looked (and performs!!) so good before. I htink MS was not able to bring it to that level.

Wolfgang

Regards, Michael

I second that: MS Flight experience was too embarrassing.

I second that: MS Flight experience was too embarrassing.

Of course in limiting LM to the conditions imposed maybe Microsoft were keeping their options open. They are the only ones who could embark on a ground up development of a flight sim. Even if I'm dreaming, it's a nice dream :)

Microsoft is a problem, remember SubLogic, the start of all this, here was a company that actually was interested in flight sim. Microsoft isn't really interested, they pretended to be for a while. Lockheed Martin is an actual Aviation company, they are interested in aviation, at a core level. Yes, they could change direction on simulation, but this is unlikely in the near future. I will put my money on LM, did you notice that the Iceland Demo, actually had a P3DV2 installer option! This means it's real! Microsoft vapourware, ask JV about MS Flight, this can only end in tears.

I don't doubt the coming reality of P3d 2.0 at all, nor do I care on any level about who produces the software I consume. It doesn't offend me at all as it seems to do to some that Microshaft abandoned Flight. When P3d 2.0 comes out, where then do LM take it. Every possible optimization will have been wrought from the 32 bit MSFS code presumably and any code carried forward to a 64 bit version will, again I'm making assumptions here, carry with it the restriction on it's use for entertainment. I don't imagine one can issue a student license indefinitely given that students usually graduate which makes P3d an expensive solution in the long run, even before you buy all the addons, which shrinks the market further. Should they desire to do so, I imagine MS could force LM to verify a students status as a student thereby closing that avenue to casual simmers who were not willing to pay the price of the professional license for FSX 2.0.

Eventually someone will see the wisdom of filling the space that MS once occupied in Flight Sim with a simulator of it's time, with the capabilities that such a thing could have now or in a few years and it's likely that MS will still be the only ones capable of taking it on. Imagine the list you would compile, if someone gave you the task to develop a flight simulator from the first line of code up, of things you might include. In todays PC environment, that would be one awesome list!

Sooner or later, someone will do it, I really don't care who it is.

Microsoft is a problem, remember SubLogic, the start of all this, here was a company that actually was interested in flight sim. Microsoft isn't really interested, they pretended to be for a while. Lockheed Martin is an actual Aviation company, they are interested in aviation, at a core level. Yes, they could change direction on simulation, but this is unlikely in the near future. I will put my money on LM, did you notice that the Iceland Demo, actually had a P3DV2 installer option! This means it's real! Microsoft vapourware, ask JV about MS Flight, this can only end in tears.

Totally agree ... I truly believe MS flight sims are just about add-on done I would actually be surprised within a  couple years FSX will not be an option.  like I posted before I think FSX is just about given all it can give before the next generation (64bit)  graphic eye candy just wont work in FSX. When I start my  sim (DHC-2 DHC-6 cross over cockpit) project it will be P3D totally as like quoted LM is dedicated to flight and MS is dedicated to upgrading the "Windows"  operating format and PC gamming is not really a major concern anymore so with compatibility  it makes me wonder what operating system will be used to even run future Flight Sims. So all we can do is make the best with what we have spend on CG memory and see what happens because I really doubt MS will ever do another FS... 

Dreamer

Microsoft is a problem, remember SubLogic, the start of all this, here was a company that actually was interested in flight sim. Microsoft isn't really interested, they pretended to be for a while. Lockheed Martin is an actual Aviation company, they are interested in aviation, at a core level

I would venture that neither Microsoft nor Lockheed Martin cares about you or me, each is in the money business. To the extent that pleasing their customers makes them more money they will adopt this as a strategy, but profit is the real driver. If you lose sight of that you will be disappointed sooner or later.

I would venture that neither Microsoft nor Lockheed Martin cares about you or me, each is in the money business. To the extent that pleasing their customers makes them more money they will adopt this as a strategy, but profit is the real driver. If you lose sight of that you will be disappointed sooner or later.

In a nutshell and that is it.... Was hopping to avoid this argument but it came up profit  motivates simply put.

Dreamer

Exactly!! At one stage MSFS was the biggest selling title ever. While we old farts ride the train that is flight sim as we know it, a whole new market is creating itself out there of younger customers who wouldn't buy into FSX or P3d because it doesn't exist outside of the PC. Now we all know what a mess the last attempt to tap that market was but it was fundamentally flawed. Those who made the decisions made a complete mess of it! That doesn't mean that a new team with a new mandate couldn't succeed where they failed. Microsoft will turn on a dime if they think that dime will make a dollar. As long as there are those who wish they could fly, there will be money to be made from FS. There is nobody on this forum who would not buy a flight sim, if it was better than what has gone before, just because MS produced it.

I think Microsoft could have success with a subscription/add-on type product if they released a quality combat flight sim.

You should investigate IL2BOS if that's what you like! I bought in early, looks good enough to catch me even though combat flight sims have not really been my main interest. That would be on my fantasy sim list though! ;)

I  don't see MS reopening there Flight Sims ever again unless they have something almost in the can now. Like Spud wrote PC gaming is swinging towards the free to play with game  store add-ons. MS FS would have probably "augered in" and become an "I pad novelty"  by now if not for pay-ware addons . "Flight" is excellent evidence of this and flight sims only thrive and flourish with  player and third party SDK availability again in my opinion this is why "Flight" fumbled right from the starting gate, I know my stomach fell when I read "Steam" hopped on board as "Steam" is what dummied up my beloved "Total War" franchise. The third party SDK add-ons is where the MS Flight Sims profitability eventually evolved and probably why the studio shut its doors.  

Dreamer 

They already have something "in the can" so to speak its called Flight ....ahem nervous cough. But continuing this far fetched fantasy they could re-ignite this,but having learned from the disaster that Flight was, maybe revert back to the ethics of their earlier ,more successful Sims. Meaning whole world coverage which was their original intent.Convert it to 64 bit (pigs are now flying) ATC ,AI traffic planes ,cars,shipping,Oh and finally open it up to 3rd party devs like Orbx for extra special loveliness. OK kids we can all wake up now.

Gary

I can't see Microsoft producing another flight simulator after the abortion that was flight. You'll have more chance of P3D being released as an entertainment product :lol:

Couldn't agree more with you. MS and another FS like FSX? I really doubt this! 

Maybe Microsoft can give Lockheed Martin the licence so they can work with it,  or there is another avenue for us simmers there is Aerofly for the pc and its becoming more eyecandy each time they release an update,  and to be honest it does look good but very limited in scenery and in its ability to become a fully fledged flight sim, but I can see potential there, and maybe it may grow.

As stated before - FSX was one of Microsofts biggest selling titles. All they have to do is make a sellable 64-bit "patch" and flog it to us separately - like the good old "Acceleration Expansion Pack" DVD. They would (nearly) have the whole market all over again...Want to bet? :D

Cheers

Mallard

As stated before - FSX was one of Microsofts biggest selling titles. All they have to do is make a sellable 64-bit "patch" and flog it to us separately - like the good old "Acceleration Expansion Pack" DVD. They would (nearly) have the whole market all over again...Want to bet? :D

Cheers

Mallard

Unfortunately it's not that easy though I wish it were and even if it were that would still limit the title to the PC platform. A new attempt would need to be a redrawing of the boundaries of the possible and would have to be cross platform. You'd need to be able to play on your phone, tablet, console and PC.

Sad...Edit...

HS

Thanks for your cogent input Henrik.

Cheers

Mallard

+1

Maybe Microsoft can give Lockheed Martin the licence so they can work with it,  or there is another avenue for us simmers there is Aerofly for the pc and its becoming more eyecandy each time they release an update,  and to be honest it does look good but very limited in scenery and in its ability to become a fully fledged flight sim, but I can see potential there, and maybe it may grow.

Mark Avey over at the Flight Simulator Network swears by Aerofly for the ipad, I gather he travels a lot. He's part of that untapped market. I bought and tried Aerofly for the PC, as I tend to buy all flight sims and it was quite good but I had controller issues, there were never enough axes. The disc lives in a box in the closet now but it does demonstrate at least the need for cross platform compatibility and that there is money to be made by catering to the masses in the right way.

Well to be honest I cant see cross platform sims working ie on the ipad, because my arms would tire very quickly especially on a long haul flight lol !

Maybe there is a bigger market for apps that help the simmer ie airtrack and EFB they are both brilliant, they both can enhance the flight experience and I am allways looking for more.

I would be all over that, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I have to agree Bruce but I can't help thinking that we as a community could do more to help ourselves. If in fact we are some semblance of a community at all, why are our fora filled with the negativity and bickering that we see in the sphere? Is it just me who thinks that or is it a reality? Where is the cooperative effort to make ourselves known to the likes of the shot callers in Redmond?

Cheers

Mallard

Dear Santa.....

No offense to the hopeful, optimistic ones here, but I think the FS community would be better served if Microsoft stayed FAR away from it. When the VP talks about supporting "Windows Games", I'd bet every cent in my bank account that he's referring to AAA blockbuster titles, mobile games, and MMORPGs - not sims.

That said, I very much hope a new FS platform is in development by one of our third party developers - one that can make use of my $2000+ investment in addons and gear :blink: .

I am guessing that the guys at FTX/Orbx have bounced around the idea? They've certainly got the knowledge and passion. FTX Global is a perfect default landscape. All you have to do is paste it on to a big 3D sphere, right?  ;D

Archived