Next FTXG freeware airport group, need help

Neil Hill

Hi All,

I'm putting together the next (4th) group of FTXG freeware airports to work on and would like to get some input.  I have started the list based on suggestions made in an earlier thread but some may have very good released versions available (I'd rather work on ones that are not available) and there are a couple of slots left.

Here is my list so far (you'll notice these are somewhat larger airports than my first set and that's OK):

KBSP, San Luis County Regional, CA -

KPSP, Palm Springs International, CA -

KAAR, Aurora Municipal, Chicago/Aurora, IL or..........

KRFD, Chicago Rockford International, Chicago/Rockford, IL

KMMU, Morristown Municipal, Morristown, NJ -

KBJC, Rocky Mountain Metro, Denver, CO -

So, any comments, any suggestions?

Cheers, Neil

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a long shot, but how about Yellowknife,Hay river and Fort Smith N.W.T. Canada, they all have float bases as well, Most of you know about "Buffalo Airways" from the TV show Ice Pilots, they fly all over the Canadian north but are based out of Yellowknife and Hay River . I know I would appreciate these very much.......wink wink.......also I was born up there, some of the best bush flying if you have a good mesh, Thanks for everything Neil your airports are just fantastic

Probably a long shot, but how about Yellowknife,Hay river and Fort Smith N.W.T. Canada, they all have float bases as well, Most of you know about "Buffalo Airways" from the TV show Ice Pilots, they fly all over the Canadian north but are based out of Yellowknife and Hay River . I know I would appreciate these very much.......wink wink.......also I was born up there, some of the best bush flying if you have a good mesh, Thanks for everything Neil your airports are just fantastic

As member of the Buffalo VA you have Access to Hay River (CYHY) for FSX,but I would like very mutch to have these airports in ORBX quality myself since I am an Buffalopilot.

So I support Your request fully ZIGGY

Cheers, Stein

How about CYAV St Andrews, MB.  Great little airport (North of Winnipeg) serves as training base for NAV Canada , has a TWR and a few flight schools.  Please consider, Canada needs the FTX freeware scenery love too

If CYAV is too small, There is also CYQT , Thunder Bay Ontairo and is used a lot on Vatsim.

This seems to be another great list, Neil and I like the suggestions that have been offered in this thread as well.

Maybe something in NM or UT or the southern tip of NV, since we have now Sedona AZ?  Or maybe another couple airports in AZ?  Lake Havasu City Airport, or Kingman AZ, or Show Low Regional, just to pull a handful off the map.  I was going to suggest something between Phoenix and Tucson, and there seems to be many to choose from there.

Neil, I still like my earlier idea of a set of US National Parks airports... so I'll toss that out here again, as a lead in to my latest idea:  College Town airports!!!

Being a U-Dub guy, my school is located in a major city (with crappy frame rates) but many schools aren't. 

Pullman, WA, Eugene, OR, Corvallis, OR, all those can be done as ORBX FTX regional payware airports (and they should be).  Same with Berkeley CA, Palo Alto CA, since we know NCA is in the works.  We'll also assume Southern Rockies get done as some point, so there have Colorado (Boulder) and Utah (SLC).   But get outside our FTX regions (PAC-12) and you have dozens and dozens of good ones, most of which are in small - medium size towns.  Teams like UCLA and USC and Arizona State are the exception, and not the rule, in that they are located in large cities.  Same goes for Georgia Tech, Duke, NC State, Maryland, TCU, SMU, Northwestern, Pitt, Boston College and Miami.

Tucson, AZ

College Station, TX

Austin TX

Waco TX

Lubbock, TX

Norman OK

Stillwater OK

Manhattan KS

Lawrence, KS

Lincoln, NE

Columbia, MO

Fayetteville, AR

Baton Rouge, LA

Oxford, MS

Tuscaloosa, AL

Auburn, AL

Athens, GA

Gainesville, FL

Tallahassee, FL

Knoxville, TN

Lexington, KY

Louisville, KY

Columbus, OH

Ann Arbor, MI

Lansing, MI

Madison, WI

Des Moines, IA

Morgantown, WV

Blacksburg, VA

Chapel Hill, NC

Columbia, SC

Clemson, SC

State College, PA

South Bend, IN

Champagne, IL

Syracuse, NY

West Hartford, CT

Amherst, MA

and honorable mention....

Annapolis, MD

West Point, NY

Colorado Springs, CO

New London, CT

http://www.airnav.com/airport/PWM

Mid size airport in down east Maine .

Brad

...anything in Maine is ok with me.

If you live in Maine (as myself) PWM is where you fly out of for the most part...Portland ME is a nice coastal city here in Maine.

We will drive to Manchester/NH or Logan Boston/Mass.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in New England.... 8)

2 suggestions:

KBDR -- Bridgeport Connecticut. right on the water and fairly central to all of the northeast.

KADS -- Addison Texas (or KDAL Love Field)

but KBDR is what Id really like. and, Neil - Thanks for doing Martin State. I look forward to it. I fly out of there a lot now with Global. EDIT: downloading now :)

Hi All,

Many great suggestion, thanks all.  I've added these :

KAFW, Fort Worth Alliance, Fort Worth, TX -
KBDR, Igor I Sikorsky Memorial, Bridgeport CT -

KOPF, Opa-locka Executive, Miami, FL -

I'm keeping KAAR and dropping KRFD

But I jotted down all the suggestions for later use.  For you Canadian folks I will do a Canadian group based on your suggestions next, still a couple of slots to go.

Cheers, Neil

Hi All,

But I jotted down all the suggestions for later use.  For you Canadian folks I will do a Canadian group based on your suggestions next, still a couple of slots to go.

Cheers, Neil

Thanks Neil.            KGFK   Grand Forks, ND for later use.

Hi Neil, If only I could bear to sim through my own state... Thanks for putting some Co airports on your list.  

And since Aerosoft has announced an Aspen redux, how 'bout more- airports such as Eagle County (Vail, Beaver Creek), and airstrips such as those below?  Of course, these would be great w/ enhanced surrounding areas- flashy fake resort towns and real ski towns (both are great!) and associated features (I'd gladly pay above market for the enhancements).

Marble, CO

http://www.fly-low.com/1-11/cover-story.pdf

Breckenridge, Co (this is now resort overflow parking (real) and overgrown forest (FSX))

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CO/Airfields_CO_SW.html#monte vista

Anything that would make Denver / Boulder less fsx generic...

Thanks again. T

I'm originally from MS. 

Would like to see KJAN done. It's a smaller 8 or so gate international airport. Southwest flies 737s there so it's good for commercial or general aviation. Also has a National Guard tarmac (C-17s) for the military fliers. 

Then go to AVSIM and search for KJAN by this guy:

Allen Laughmiller

In fact just search for anything by this guy. It is good work.  And it is build with the AI traffic in mind, not random static aircraft.

Thank you Neil. I second the motion for Unakleet.

Any chance the static aircraft can be separate bgl's for easy removal? If not, no worries.

+1. 

EDIT:  really would rather not have the statics - I have commented on that before, so enough said.

Hi All,

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Outstanding! Thanks in advance.

KPBI - Palm Beach International  (This would be the first Florida airport) - the runway numbering has changed since FSX was released (now main runway is 10/28)

KATL - just add the missing 5th runway in FSX and I would be a happy camper!

Aspen would also be a good choice.

Thanks,

John

Archived