Next FTXG freeware airport group, need help

Neil Hill

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JP -

KMHR and KMCC are both part of NCA as well as Half Moon Bay that was mentioned earlier.

briansommers -The 3rd group is in beta and I'll be releasing it, soon.

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Great news to hear that these will be reworked, now if we can some word from JV about the status of NCA, that would great news as well.

Thanks,

JP

I think what you mean is that the airport in Beaufort, NC, Michael J. Smith Field, was named after one of the Challenger astronauts. ;) The town of Manteo was named after a Native American who assisted the colonists of Roanoke Island.

As a fellow North Carolinian, I agree that those would be great airports! :)

That would be W95, KMQI, KMRH, KOCW, and KFFA.

Yep correct, yeah those that haven't been to the Outerbanks don't know what they are missing and Beaufort is neat flying in off the coast. Howards Pub is the place for food on Ocracoke Island. Good to see another North Carolinian that read the post. 

Thanks

Paul

Here are some links about the airports and also add Hatteras Island - Billy Mitchell close to the Hatters Light House

http://www.darenc.com/airport/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Smith_Field

http://www.ocracokeairport.com/

http://www.billymitchellairport.com/

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KOCW

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFFA

thanks

Paul

Hi Bushmonkey, BPL,

I've added W95 (FSX designation) and KHSE to group 4, they are super simple but W95 has an issue that the shoreline is too wide and I don't know if I can do anything about it.

joedis, I noted the Hawaii airports, those along with Dillingham, PHDH mentioned earlier would make a good group.

Cheers, Neil

I have a couple of Utah airports that deserve nomination: KCDC (Cedar City), next door to Cedar Breaks National Monument, and KBCE (Bryce Canyon) next to Brice Canyon National Park.  Brice has a web site so you can see what it looks like.  Since ORBX seems to have an affinity for National Parks I thought these airport were appropriate.  I would also nominate KBLU ( Blue Canyon Airport) in Northern California for a little special treatment.  I know it will be in the NCal region but It has some special items that are unique to airports I have visited.  There are amateur astronomical observatories at the field and the aircraft parking is used for telescope setup after dark.  You could have astonomy flow!  The weather station at KBLU is another interesting sight.

I was thinking KCNY near Moab, UT, but there isn't much there... I guess I'd really love someone to go over the 2 national parks nearby and add some custom objects to the scenery... Dark Angel, Delicate Arch, Landscape Arch, Double Arch, Balanced Rock in Arches NP would all be cool.  There is a diner in Moab with a photo of a small single engine plane flying through Double Arch.  Don't know if it's real but I want to try it!  But definitely not something the existing libraries can take care of... hopefully in a full region if it ever happens.

KMDT - Harrisburg International  It's a bit bigger than most of the rest, (but only a bit)  has a nice location along the Susquehanna river near Three Mile Island. nice regional airport with a small C-130 ANG base.  has a long runway that is regularly used by Air Force One for practice touch & goes

KTHV - York airport,  smaller, but operates some bizjet traffic and GA.

Hi Bushmonkey, BPL,

I've added W95 (FSX designation) and KHSE to group 4, they are super simple but W95 has an issue that the shoreline is too wide and I don't know if I can do anything about it.

joedis, I noted the Hawaii airports, those along with Dillingham, PHDH mentioned earlier would make a good group.

Cheers, Neil

GREAT thanks !

Paul

Posted this in another related thread. Will post here as well.

Would love to see KROA Roanoke Regional (Woodrum Field).  Grew up in the Roanoke Valley.  It's a unique airport with the ILS approach over a golf course and Interstate I-581 to an elevated field.  The whole Roanoke Valley is a great VFR region with the Mill Mountain Star, several large lakes and all the mountain ridges around the valley.  KROA was done for FS98 and there was one gentleman on one of the developer forums that had started on KROA a year or so back, but never finished it for FS9 or FSX.  Would love to see Orbx do it!

Roanoke_zps6720f657.jpg

RoanokeStar_zps0b0148d8.jpg

KROA_zps9657091b.jpg

KROAOverhead_zps0146b608.jpg

I have a couple of Utah airports that deserve nomination: KCDC (Cedar City), next door to Cedar Breaks National Monument, and KBCE (Bryce Canyon) next to Brice Canyon National Park.  Brice has a web site so you can see what it looks like.  Since ORBX seems to have an affinity for National Parks I thought these airport were appropriate.

KBCE would be a good one for Orbx actually. I've gone to Bryce Canyon a few times as it's a few hrs drive from my place and I flew into there RW a few months back and spent the night, it's a neat little airport with an awesome feel to it and good terrain. It also does have an interesting history! This gets my vote! Utah also has some very neat back country airports. Here is one of the airfields I would imagine back country FSX pilots would be all over if Orbx did it, "Hidden Splendor". I actually met that pilot RW and talked to him about those places he flies into... makes me want to be able to do that some day! (I hope I'm allowed to post a youtube video here...  ??? )

>http://youtu.be/KTU3iMzbD-0

Hi folks,

KROA was mentioned before and on the list, I've just added KRMG, KHPN and KCHS.

I am now going to bring my list to a CLOSE.  I have enough airports listed to keep me (and others) busy for a year.

I thank all of you who provided input for your favorite airports, hopefully they will all make it in some form into FTX Global.  Do remember though that I will check to see if there are already FSX versions available and concentrate on those that haven't been done before or at least not well done.

I'm still quite busy with IRL airports and NCA activities so any new airports from me will be awhile yet.  I do have hopes you will see airports for FTXG sooner from other folks, they are in the pipeline.

Cheers, Neil

Archived