Orbx and St.Maarten

jlund

Seing how Orbx is capable of doing whole regions like PNW, countries like England and whole continents like Australia I can only imagine what they could do with a small island like St.Maarten/St.Martin? Another company made a wonderful scenery of TNCM years ago, but there has been really big changes on the island since. Ie the old terminal buildings are gone, The Caravanserei has been built (with two unfinished buildings at this time), A new bridge across the bay is being build (scheduled to open December 2013), a lot of hotels, condos etc on the whole island and not to mention the "other" small airport on the Island at Grand Case, which haven't been modeled yet.

I have been to this beautiful island three times now and everytime I get home and wants to fly it in FSX, I get dissapointed in how much is actually missing in F..T.....'s scenery.

Will Orbx consider making a scenery of this fantastic island with one of the most spectacular spotter paradise in the world?

I must say I've been lucky enough to have been to Maho beach twice (although both times I've missed by a matter of minutes the chance to watch KLM's 744 landing!!!).

FlyTampa's version of Princess Juliana is nicely done, but an Orbx depiction of rest of St Maarten, St. Barthelemy, the USVI, Puerto Rico, etc would be a dream come true!

The Caribbean is just spectacular for VFR and it has it's own share of nasty approaches (SABA anyone?).

cheers

-E

I must say I've been lucky enough to have been to Maho beach twice (although both times I've missed by a matter of minutes the chance to watch KLM's 744 landing!!!).

FlyTampa's version of Princess Juliana is nicely done, but an Orbx depiction of rest of St Maarten, St. Barthelemy, the USVI, Puerto Rico, etc would be a dream come true!

The Caribbean is just spectacular for VFR and it has it's own share of nasty approaches (SABA anyone?).

cheers

-E

Saba you said? I tried to land there with my new A2A C172 and it was something like "now we are there..... easy.... easy.... ok full flaps..... watch out it's short.... down now.... (scrrretch) ... ok BRAKES please! BRAKES.....SLOW THE @##%$& THING DOWN.... BRAKES..... whooops.... ok, nice touch and go .... :-)))

Saba you said? I tried to land there with my new A2A C172 and it was something like "now we are there..... easy.... easy.... ok full flaps..... watch out it's short.... down now.... (scrrretch) ... ok BRAKES please! BRAKES.....SLOW THE @##%$& THING DOWN.... BRAKES..... whooops.... ok, nice touch and go .... :-)))

:lol: Go around!!!

Thanks to FSX, i got more lives than a cat 8)

"(although both times I've missed by a matter of minutes the chance to watch KLM's 744 landing!!!).

Shame on you :-) It really is a spectacular sight seeing a 747 landing just 30 feet above you. Hope you then saw the AF A340, which is just as impressive.

Yes, a new rendition of SXM is long overdue with all the changes that has been going on over there. And to have all of the Caribbean in ORBX quality, WOW!!!!!

And not to mention setting EZdok world cameras up with views from the beach, sunset bar and the Caravanserei would be as being there in real life (well not quite, but you know what I mean :-) )

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. second seat says: Everyplace else in the world is work, if you want a real break from the "real" world than go to:

Anguilla, St Kitts, St Martin, St Barts, Antigua, Montserrat, Martinique, St Vincent and the Grenadines.  If you have never done “the islands†in a Skylane you don’t know what you have been missing. We would love Orbx to consider these tropical islands in paradise. It would open a whole new area that would probably be as popular as PNW.

We will put it on our wish list along with New England and the Maritimes.

I completely agree. The Caribbean would be a fantastic full FTX region. You could fly around the islands or you could fly in from North America or South America. There are endless possibilities. And right now the Caribbean is not well depicted in FSX (except for what Fly Tampa has done on a small scale - and even theirs is outdated).

Yes, ORBX Team, I think this would be great and a real money maker. I'm in. Sometime in 2014?

And while they're at it they can make South Florida - from Orlando down to the Keys. I would pay big money for this.

John

Mrs. second seat says: Everyplace else in the world is work, if you want a real break from the "real" world than go to:

Anguilla, St Kitts, St Martin, St Barts, Antigua, Montserrat, Martinique, St Vincent and the Grenadines. 

My wife and I spent a few weeks in Anguilla in 2000 and then in 2001. That's Paradise. You are absolutely right: everywhere else in the world is work. Perfect.

Now back to business: where the pre-order?

Seing how Orbx is capable of doing whole regions like PNW, countries like England and whole continents like Australia I can only imagine what they could do with a small island like St.Maarten/St.Martin? Another company made a wonderful scenery of TNCM years ago, but there has been really big changes on the island since. Ie the old terminal buildings are gone, The Caravanserei has been built (with two unfinished buildings at this time), A new bridge across the bay is being build (scheduled to open December 2013), a lot of hotels, condos etc on the whole island and not to mention the "other" small airport on the Island at Grand Case, which haven't been modeled yet.

I have been to this beautiful island three times now and everytime I get home and wants to fly it in FSX, I get dissapointed in how much is actually missing in F..T.....'s scenery.

Will Orbx consider making a scenery of this fantastic island with one of the most spectacular spotter paradise in the world?

You may want to check for a huge update on  St Maarten.       I hope I have not violated any forum rules.

I believe we need the whole area package rather than just specific islands. We wouldn't want the situation where we would become bored with just flying around our favourite island. We need the navigation and distance for full satisfaction and enjoyment.

Perhaps we could forego extremely detailed real-life recreations and settle for a more generic land class etcetera (a bit more specific than FTX Global with a touch more detail around cities/towns and airports and particularly coastlines/beaches) to get this area onto our computers. There is something special about islands that draws the human mind to them: for us it could be like having a whole fleet of faux aircraft carriers at our disposal. We can then get more experience in flying over water not just by day but at night in small to medium aircraft (and with the odd bit of heavy weather that you get in the tropics).

John G

Mr Chandy: If you have ever island hopped in the real world in a small plane, than you don't want  to be using aircraft carriers.

Actually the area from St. Maartens down thru the chain of islands South is so interesting, you could spend years exploring the area.

Another vote for the Caribbean! Please! Please! Please! I am from St. Croix in the USVI's and is the most under represented island in the America's. If this ever happened I will personally travel to Australia and kiss JV's feet. :lol:

While i am definitely one who would appreciate a full caribbean region, it is really inaccurate to state that there is nothing else available, especially now that FTX global is available to supply the textures. Try striking software's amazing freeware on top of Utx TAC. With FTX Global it's amazing. If you pin all your hopes on Orbx developing this region sometime, and ignore what's already available, you're losing out in my opinion

While i am definitely one who would appreciate a full caribbean region, it is really inaccurate to state that there is nothing else available, especially now that FTX global is available to supply the textures. Try striking software's amazing freeware on top of Utx TAC. With FTX Global it's amazing. If you pin all your hopes on Orbx developing this region sometime, and ignore what's already available, you're losing out in my opinion

There is as ShawnG said, many and  for the whole world,tousend Freeware out there, its just to pick the right (for You).

HS

When I said how much we loved flying the leewards and the windwards, did I forget to say that Mustique island has the homes of Mick Jagger and David Bowie. Opens up an entire new flavor for flying with their music streaming through our cockpit. 

Another vote for the Caribbean! Please! Please! Please! I am from St. Croix in the USVI's and is the most under represented island in the America's. If this ever happened I will personally travel to Australia and kiss JV's feet. :lol:

He's in the UK at the moment in Hampshire?

Have you been to Mustique? Our favorite resort.

http://www.cottonhouse.net/mustique/resort-map-of-cotton-house

Go there some time, you will love it including the difficult island airport.

I actually stayed there for 2 weeks on a survey trip, surveying the airport... Those hills at either end of the runway do make for an interesting approach and departure! It's a real shame FSX isn't capable of having contoured runways to replicate this airport...

I do not see why want you that ORBX developpe the Caribbean. Certain developers we make and it is very beautiful. 

For example : FlyTampa ---> St. Maarten (TNCM), St. Barts (TFFJ), Saba (SABA/TNCS). 

---> Grenadines Islands Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Union, Carriacou.

LatinVFR ---> Bermuda Island, Kington (Jamaica), Tobago, Montego Bay, Trinidad.

Taxi2Gate ---> Saint Vincent Island, Sainte Lucia Island.

TropicalSim ---> Antigua, Aruba, Beef Island British Virgin, Bonaire, Curaçao, Turks and Caicos Islands,  Saint Thomas US Virgin.

and all these products work perfectly with Global FTX. 

Those hills at either end of the runway do make for an interesting approach and departure! It's a real shame FSX isn't capable of having contoured runways to replicate this airport...

Actually, FlyTampa has done this. The runway is sloped at both ends. What is even better FTX Global fills the Caribbean area very well.

Archived