to mesh or not to mesh

That's a big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the default mesh in Europe and the USA is generally pretty good so it may not really be worth getting mesh for those areas? What worries me is the elevation issues with airports.

For other areas of the world i.e. Asia etc, the default mesh is not good enough and a 3rd party mesh is definitely needed?

Cheers

Tony

That's a big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the default mesh in Europe and the USA is generally pretty good so it may not really be worth getting mesh for those areas? What worries me is the elevation issues with airports.

For other areas of the world i.e. Asia etc, the default mesh is not good enough and a 3rd party mesh is definitely needed?

Cheers

Tony

I'm also using FSGlobal 2008 - and do see quite a number of improvements in Europe. The Alps are a bit more jagged/detailed, and the Black Forest (where I live) is more recognisable. Haven't checked out the US yet. But outside of these regions a decent mesh is a must!

Lukla in the Himalayas (yes, in a 737)

without

U7xdQ.jpg

and with mesh

wxNdS.jpg

YCs5r.jpg

O198S.jpg

These pics were taken before (!) FTXGlobal. I was just checking that mesh was working correctly.

I've encountered next to no problems with airport elevations.

Cheers

Mallard

That's a big difference.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony!

As there are/were some quite vital discussions going on in regards to mesh i just recently uploaded some comparison shots here in this thread:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/62639-mesh-comparison-shots-worldwide-with-ftxglobal-in-use-20-pictures/

There are quite a bunch of Asian locations shown there as well with and without FS Global mesh in use.

Feel free to have alook there as well.

Just as Wolter's and Mallard's great shots do show above - it is also quite visible there, that a HUGE difference exists in regards to mesh as soon as leaving North America or Europe behind in the sim! ;) 

Cheers, Christoph

What worries me is the elevation issues with airports.

That's the main reason I have not bought mesh up to now... Specially with FTXG I fly from unknown airports to unknown airports and it would suck if any of the two appeared to have sunken into the deep or elevated on a way to steep hill. Afaik there are tools to correct this (easily?) but to correct something like this you first have to find out if there are any problems to correct... which is a bit hard to do (ar at least no fun at all) when you like to fly from one unknown airport to another...

Salut FILOU :)

There are various mesh addon vendors, I have had this FS Global 2008 program since it was released a few years ago,

in the meantime there is a newer version available => http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Default.aspx

other alternative products :

FS Genesis => http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

For North America I've been using the FS Genesis 10 meter terrain coverage for Canada and the USA since about 2007. I know for me I see a massive difference from the default terrain mesh that ships with FSX especially in provinces like Ontario and Quebec where we don't have mountain ranges but we do have what is called the 'Canadian Shield'. FS Genesis shows this geologic formation quite nicely along with the very well known Niagara Escarpment that is the geologic formation under Niagara Falls. It runs from Niagara Falls up towards the northern tip of the Bruce Peninsula which lies on the eastern edge of Lake Huron. All of these features are very easily noticeable from an aircraft in real life and make for some really great sight seeing.

Great comparison shots Wolter. :)

Archived