83OGm.jpg

bEAB.jpg

0aJ8j.jpg

Heading towards another iconic mountain in Japan

dSQCj.jpg

In the background, Mt. Fuji

Md23.jpg

M2HLk.jpg

Indonesia. The flat-topped volcano in the back is Tangkubran Perahu - a sight that I had out of my bedroom window when I lived in Bandung, Java

iGWsp.jpg

kTlOC.jpg

pRxo.jpg

And - lastly - impressions from Bolivia

2sMo.jpg

around La Paz

duaZn.jpg

There's a whole new beautiful world to explore!

Cheers

Mallard

(No edits. I am using FS Global 2008 mesh)

Thanks for the comments.

I personally think that the textures around Kilimanjaro are quite convincing. The Steppe is great, and the little homesteads on the foot of the mountain are also jjust right.

La Paz - well... It does lie in the middle of a high-altitude desert, so there's not much to see there in real life either. And Global can also only show what it's being told is there - or not. With the South America Landclass things are bound to improve.

Anyway - I'll be checking out some other South American landscapes soon. Looking forward to Patagonia, the Amazon basin and the Argentinian Pampas. Then I'll be off to the Caribbean and Central America before heading back to southern Africa.

Far East- and Southeast Asia appear to be bang on the head. I did feel that I was back in Indonesia on my test around Bandung :)

Cheers

Mallard

Anyway - I'll be checking out some other South American landscapes soon. Looking forward to Patagonia, the Amazon basin and the Argentinian Pampas. Then I'll be off to the Caribbean and Central America before heading back to southern Africa.

Cheers

Mallard

Great shots Mallard, and I agree to the ratings in the discussion above.

Sounds like a busy weekend for you. Luckily enough the weather outside is bad enough to justify staying in front ouf the computer... 8)

maybe I should clarify: I'm a geologist, and in a way I make my living by studying the landscape and explaining why it looks the way it does. I think that FTX works fine in areas that have been touched by the hand of civilisation, like your shots of Japan and Indonesia, or in flat, relatively monotonous areas like the savanna or most of Australia. It is in the mountains that things go horribly wrong, or at least in my eyes. There, there is a direct relation between the shape of the land and the rocks and vegetation on the surface, and that is completely missing in those shots of Kilimanjaro and Bolivia. It is just a random splattering of textures with different colors, especially in those Bolivia shots. In that first one, I see four different textures in a rather wide range of hues. Look at that snow. When have you ever seen a mountain range with snow like that? Here's a real pic of snow in the Andes:

andes1.jpg

See the rocks sticking out and how you can see lines in those rocks?

Now off course I know that this will be almost impossible to reproduce on a global scale, and I will be the first to admit that it is a HUGE improvement over default, but I still don't like the mountains. Ha, I even have occasional problems with Australia, especially in those areas where the geology is so visible in real life, like the Flinders Ranges, or the Pilbara...

wilpena-pound-aerial-520693-lw.jpg

Hi Guys :D

I know Jan Kees isn't on  the nagging side, he's completely right,at the moment FTXG* uses the LC that came with fsX and added some, as time progresses there will be new LC files made available for purchase or free  and those will make things look more like the actual area, but that needs time and the world is a big place ;)

I flew (in real life) Lima to Buenos Aires last week, and the landscapes of the high Andes were breathtaking and - I have to say - didn't look a lot like the screenshots!

Of course it is an improvement over default, but hopefully the new landclass to be released next year will help, and - we can dream - proper FTX South American regions one day.

[Please note that this is a realisation of the limits we are hitting - NOT a criticism of FTX Global, which is a HUGE improvement over default!]

Thanks a lot for all of the comments and discussion points ;)

I seriously think that if one realises what Global is it becomes all the more impressive...

Superb set of shots Mallard !! Are you using UTX Europe along with FTX ?

Adam

Hi Adam - UTX Europe probably won't be of much help in Bolivia. Or Indonesia. And Japan - I don't think so. Forget about Kenya... ;)

I do have FS Global 2008 mesh, but nothing else.

Cheers

Mallard

Archived