-= July 2013 Product Roadmap =-

John Venema

Ok as we approach the middle of 2013 it's time to give you all an insight on what products we're planning to release over the next six months. As with all of these announcements, nothing is set in stone until these projects are in beta. In other words, things may (and do) change. Orbx is a small business with a big company heart, but we always adapt and refine our strategy based on what's selling well, what's profitable, what customers are saying and the resources inside the company.

That disclaimer over, here is the roadmap (all dates are *targets*, not actual committed release dates ):

June 2013

FTX EU SCO Scotland

CBB7 Tipella BC for PNW (Freeware)

July 2013

FTX Global Base Pack

PAJN Juneau for SAK

65S Bonners Ferry for NRM

EGHI Southampton Intl for ENG

NZQN Queenstown for NZSI

August 2013

YBTH Bathurst for AU BLUE

CityScape Canberra for AU BLUE

EGML Damyns Hall for ENG

EGTF Fairoaks For ENG

S93 Cle Elum for PNW

FTX Global openLC Baltics Demo (Freeware)

September 2013

FTX EU NIR Northern Ireland Region

EGKL Deanland Lewes for ENG

EGPB Sumburgh for SCO

PAYA Yakutat for SAK

PAEN Kenai for SAK

VICTA Airtourer Aircraft

October 2013

NA NCA Northern California Region

EGCW Welshpool for WLS

November 2013

KBZN Bozeman Yellowstone Intl for CRM

ENNK Narvik Norway for FTX Global

EGPD Aberdeen for SCO

VANS RV4 Aircraft

December 2013

FTX EU IRL Ireland Region

NZAA Auckland Intl for NZNI

FTX Global openLC worldwide coverage (we may release various openLC regions of the world beforehand though)

Other FTX Global addons, airports etc.

That's quite a list, some projects will shift up or down a month or two and there are other projects planned or in gestation we can't talk about just yet, but they might pop into this list so I'll update it regularly. Always refer back to this pinned topic to get updates on the roadmap.

I hope there's enough there for most people's tastes and needs.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, NED has been cancelled. We looked at the NL2000 project and it did not make sense for us to cover that area with a dedicated FTX region. If you don't have NL2000 then FTX Global does a very decent job of the Netherlands when combined with some third party LC/Vector products like openVFR etc.

To replace NED we'll be announcing another EU region soon. Stay tuned.

John, Thank you for diverting me to this post, I see that you are not abandoning the UK airfield roadmap and that encouraging   :)  

EGPB and EGPD are both very appealing to me, that combination of airports will provide me with a nice opportunity to explore the shetland islands and also a short haul flight from EGPB -EGPD.  Welsh Pool also is very appetising been smack dab in the middle of North Wales where the scenery is rich and diverse to explore.  but I'm not entirely so sure about the other English Airports which still all remain within the South of England  :-  Sorry, but that's just my own humble opinion and based on my latest reply on the other post you'll understand why :)

I'm looking forward seeing and I'm most likely to purchase the following :)

FTX Global Base Pack - will provide me with better experience and hopefully a fix for flights between UK and the rest of europe

FTX EU NIR Northern Ireland Region - Will make some nice short-haul flights across the Irish sea between UK2000 airfields (until there are more ORBX airfields in the North of UK)

NA NCA Northern California Region - Will make USA awesome!!  Can't wait to be able fly almost all the way up and down the West Coast of USA and Canada!

EGCW Welshpool for WLS

EGPB Sumburgh for SCO

EGPD Aberdeen for SCO

Alaska is already dripping with atmosphere, these airfields will make the Alaskan experience almost irresistible! 

PAYA Yakutat for SAK 

PAEN Kenai for SAK

PAJN Juneau for SAK

PNW is already an ORBX region to die for - this will make the PNW experience totally crazy - I'm so looking forward to discovering more of what PNW has to offer having.

S93 Cle Elum for PNW 

KVOU Pearson Field for PNW

end of the year a simple formula will comes true:  

FSX+ DX10(separately in preperation) + FTX Global + FTX GlobalLC + add. FTX regions = "FS11"

Wulf

What do you mean by DX10 (separate preparation)?  Thanks.

First, thanks for giving an update :)

But just one more airport for CRM? I was expecting more :/ Love that area.

Anyway, looking forward to NCA, should be ready when the bad weather kicks in again, and indoor-activities will get priority :D

Looking forward to the imminent release of Tipella! :smile: BTW, whatever happened to the Sequim Valley freeware project? I was really looking forward to that one, but haven't seen anything about it in months.

Quite a few airports as well as regions I am interested in! Can't say I will purchase them on release ($$$), but there's definitely a steady stream you'll be seeing from me.

Just got NZ N and S recently, feared since they were "older" ORBX regions they wouldn't be as attractive, but quite the contrary! Lots of of fun to fly around in, even with PNW competing.

Best of luck with it all! Glad to see you can afford such a substantial production schedule.

Surprised you cancelled Holland and might do Germany.... just make one flat green land class and you're done. (Joke).....

John,

any chance to see Italy FTX region?

Actually our  beautiful country is not covered by any commercial addon, and ftx region would be  really exclusive ... think about it!

About USA i hope to see the complete California and the awesome Nevada landscapes in the nexy year..... yeah! I know i'm dreaming!!

Hmmmmmm.  Very interesting indeed.  Going thru this list trying to find something I won't buy the week/month it is released.  Still looking for it.

Narvik for FTX Global, I like it!  I knew something about the OpenLC for the Baltics, as a demo, which is awesome, and I heard of some long range plans for FTX Norway, but this is the first I have heard of this kind of detailed payware airport coming BEFORE the FTX region.

Kinda sad about Netherlands, but honestly I have NL2000 and it is pretty damn good. ORBX could probably improve on it in some minor fashion, but it would not be worth the price that you would need to charge to recoup the time or the investment.  Move on to Belgium or France or.... someplace.

FTX Germany?  A meeting with the Aerosoft team?  Was is das?  Oh how I would love to be a mouse in the corner of that room.  Is this a friendly meeting in the true spirit of cooperation, or are they coming to sign a treaty and capitulate and sue for peace?  Maybe give them some customer support lessons while they are there (with specific examples please -- maybe act out a scenario so they will get it). 

Sorry I know we aren't supposed to talk about other companies -- but I like them, Mattias in particular seems like a good soul and I buy a LOT of their stuff, so I am a big supporter of theirs.  It is good quality stuff for the most part, and it makes sense that you guys are talking and planning around one another.  We all know that they really focus more on the big airports, which is the one thing that you guys don't do at ORBX (makes sense).  They did release a bunch of small german airfields a while back, but they kinda got half way thru those areas and did not finish them (prolly you guys hired away all their devs).  ORBX would be perfect for that job, or something like that.  Overall I think the two of you dovetail rather nicely, to the point where normally you complement each other.  In fact I have almost come to grips with the idea that they are doing Adelaide -- which is a bit like you guys doing Germany at first glance -- becasue I know realize it will be pretty much just the airport.  So the thought the possibility of FTX Germany has not really deterred me from buying their German content, since they are almost all airports, primarly medium to large to huge in size.  They do have a German landmarks products that costs roughly what an FTX region might cost, and I admit I am holding off on that purchase, until I get a better idea what your plans are.  I do like their Euro stadium freebee, however, that was a nice touch.

JV you just keep those boys busy and we'll keep sending you our paychecks, brother. 

Great news this ,some mega stuff to get major excited about.Funds permitting will get most if not all these additions.Also got P3D to factor in as well, so happy simming. I'd better get saving the pennies.

Thanks for the update JV.

I am also looking forward to these and to Northern Maritmes and also Southern Rockies, but I thought for some reason those would be in 2014. 

I think at New Years JV did a similar thread and they were looking to crank out about 8 FTX regions.  Not sure but I think we are on plan, having seen England, Wales, Southern Alaska and now Scotland with Northern Ireland, Northern Cal, Ireland and I think there was one more.  Was it Northern Maritimes or Netherlands?  Anyway, that might be one of those that maybe gets started in 2013 but doesn't get released until early 2014, so JV doesn't want to put it out there just yet.

For those of you that are looking forward to the FTX region where you live, you might find that you are less impressed with your own home region where you live (and you know every house and street) than you are with all the other regions, which amazed you in terms of quality and detail.  It's not OBRX; it is our own critical eye is a little sharper.  The one area that I really am not impressed with, in my case, is Seattle, since I went to college there, and to a lesser extent, same with my little hometown down on the Columbia River.  Not that they did a bad job, they just cannot reproduce every last coffeeshop to our liking.  Still a helluva lot better than anything else out there, IMHO.

end of the year a simple formula will comes true:  

FSX+ DX10(separately in preperation) + FTX Global + FTX GlobalLC + add. FTX regions = "FS11"

Wulf

What do you mean by DX10 (separate preparation)?  Thanks.

I think the result of FSX + DX11 will be Prepar3d 2.0 (plus a lot more). And I trust that all the named projects and future OBRX add-ons are usable in P3D v2.0.

John just a thought but seeing as you are meeting with Aerosoft do you think there is any chance of you picking up the Adelaide Airport idea again now they have cancelled theirs? This is certainly an airport of interest for me and I believe you we're thinking of doing it a while back.

Ian

We'd certainly like to do Adelaide airport since it's just about small enough to handle for us. I have earmarked the developer working on Auckland to tackle YPAD next. We have excellent imagery for the entire airport so that is not a problem. It does not need Aerosoft's involvement.

FTX Germany?  A meeting with the Aerosoft team?  Was is das?  Oh how I would love to be a mouse in the corner of that room.  Is this a friendly meeting in the true spirit of cooperation, or are they coming to sign a treaty and capitulate and sue for peace?  

I was thinking the same thing. . .  :D

Thank you John , for giving us such a brilliant heads up on what is happening with your brilliant company and team. 

Just one small question I was wondering if the Jabiru was still on the table ? 

Once again thank you and your team for giving us so much pleasure.  

Regards Shaun.

I only fly Orbx scenery, I am hoping to buy both Wales and Scotland on boxed DVDs and than start adding airports.  So far have not found Wales on DVD, can someone point me or is it only available in a download?

Of course I have set aside funds for New England and the Maritimes which I thought was in the works, too.

Archived