Taking the "long way" to the Tseax Cone Lava Beds...

I didn't find the "city life" in Terrace, BC to my liking so I made haste to re-fuel my Super Cub and get to bed early so I could fly out at dawn.

Geology is another hobby of mine so I decided today I'd take the long way up to the Tseax Cone Lava Beds.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tseax_Cone)  I also planned to visit a few unmarked dirt strips along the way....a friend of mine said she was planning to have her float plane at Dragon Lake for a few days so I decided to stop in and visit her too.

Schedule sorted and GPS loaded, I took to the air before sunrise.

vN7cn.jpg

Flying generally north.....watching the eastern skies slowly come to life as the sun rises behind the mountains.

bM5w4.jpg

Ahhhhh....there it is...what a glorious sight!

21dGe.jpg

This part of British Columbia is an absolute paradise this time of year....I'm not sure I'll be able to leave it behind.

HSsZT.jpg

Look closely and you can see the first unmarked dirt strip landing of the day.  (Nass Bend for those of you who have the Khutzeymateen River dirt strip pac from OZx loaded)

dVymc.jpg

Tricky approach deeking down through the trees....but it made for good footage on my GoPro cameras....I hope to have my first video up soon too.

TPyON.jpg

I only stayed long enough to stretch my legs and snap a few pics....and visit briefly with another pilot who flew what else, a Cub, into this little strip.  I was eager to get airborne again and on to Dragon Lake....my friend gets impatient if I make her wait.  Here I am over Dragon Lake turning onto a short final for a very short and dog legged strip.  She does NOTHING by half measures...just LOOK at the size of that "camp fire."

2wFg3.jpg

All parked up and ready to enjoy the rest of the morning and the better part of the afternoon with my friend....what a gorgeous spot she picked!

inHju.jpg

Too soon for my liking, the time for me to carry on was upon me....I took to the air again and made for the Tseax Cone Lava Beds.  I hope that cinder cone volcano stays asleep....a lot of people depend on the Nass River and it's abundance of salmon....starvation will follow shortly behind any further eruptions.

3bYXw.jpg

The field near that little dirt strip down there is where I'll be staying the night tonight...not glorious...but convenient as there are many other dirt strips tucked away in the mountainous valleys of this area that I want to explore.

y9ved.jpg

And wouldn't you know it?  MORE "neighbors"....oh well, they seem sociable enough and I won't be here long.

EUvlj.jpg

Here is a look at the route today....I'll be up early again tomorrow to go further into the mountains seeking out the many Khutzeymateen River dirt strips.

EG7US.jpg

Thanks for having a look...see you next flight.

Camp fire ? . Sure looks like a bonfire to me :

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmMjL1guLAA

Fantastic tour and shots Stig , keep hitting that V key this weekend ! . I look forward to more from you .

Cheers

Brad

Camp fire ? . Sure looks like a bonfire to me :

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmMjL1guLAA

Fantastic tour and shots Stig , keep hitting that V key this weekend ! . I look forward to more from you .

Cheers

Brad

She's my best friend....and she does NOTHING by half measures....she's all in....or she can't be bothered at all.  LOL

wish i was there !!

That's the beauty of this forum....living vicariously through the flights of others!

Awsome M8  I plan my flights just like you the imagination is key in flight sim and good graphics always help keep up the stories 

I've always enjoyed setting out to explore new areas...to have a REASON for the flight....immersion and all that.  Fun way to enjoy this hobby.

So is one bird in the bush worth two in the city ? !!

Um.....quite a bit more than that, actually...just say'in.  :D

Great pictures and story. You are right about the number three.

The people/person who created the Khutzeymateen River dirt strips did a brilliant job of it from what I've seen so far.  I'm having a BLAST finding....and then landing safely on these tiny little strips.  They chose the locations very very well.

Nice flight!

In case anyone would like to follow along with Stig on this flight, I've created an FSX .pln file for this flight using PlanG. Not as many waypoints as his flight plan image a few posts up indicates, but I think it is close enough for others to enjoy this rather fun flight.

All credit to Stig... I'm simply sharing his adventure. :)

-> Download Link <- (zipped up FSX .pln file; ~1kb)

Extract to your "C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder.

I use Plan G when I can..but I often start a flight from an off field location and I've not figured out how to do that in Plan G. I could start providing Plan G flight plans if there is an interest though?

I've started making movies too..I hope to have enough footage to eventually make a "No Second Chances" video or two, too.

I like using flight plans through PlanG, simply because I can easily load them into the GPS and fly the flight as intended. Starting the plan from non-standard locations is an interesting dilemma ... Trying to find answers now.

Archived