Something new - for me.

I decided to grab Aerosofts Offshore Landmarks North Sea, read all blurb and thought it sounded interesting - something different. Never had much to do with "choppers" and found I definitely need to brush up on my skills. Trying to land a helicopter on a pad in the North Sea ain't for the faint hearted. I need a LOT of practice. 😟

MSFSCowanSimH125NorthSea3.thumb.JPG.11004bf25f8e67837b6e89d1c28171f7.JPG

MSFSCowanSimH125NorthSea.thumb.JPG.4f20c27cb98a4dabc3f794bcd9b8db60.JPG

MSFSCowanSimH125NorthSea2.thumb.JPG.0ab25a613b9882450c78b8e804e40b2a.JPG

And no, I didn't get it down successfully 😡 One thing I learned,  don't try to land a helicopter on one of these rigs from the cockpit, do it from outside. 

Don

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah! I also find flying helicoters a lot more difficult than flying planes, especially landing them on a few square meters is challenging. I have the best experience with the heli's H135 & H145 from HPG, the H135 is freeware and is fine and detailled modelled.

Edited by ikbenik
  • Like 3

I was hesitant for some time, but made quite good friends now with the H145 under VR and after getting a wonderful Virpil Collective. However, like @ikbenik writes, landing on a small area is still a challenge. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pmb said:

I was hesitant for some time, but made quite good friends now with the H145 under VR and after getting a wonderful Virpil Collective. However, like @ikbenik writes, landing on a small area is still a challenge. 

Kind regards, Michael

A good way to practise is to do a 'carrier approach'. Set up a descent profile that approaches the pad at a flattish angle, similar to a runway approach, and reduce speed by raising the nose and reducing the 'power' and flying into the pad without trying to actually hover before settling down. As you get more approaches you can balance the approach speed more precisely to land at just a few knots, then at zero knots. Just like the one foot rule in golf, I allow a couple of metres of slide after touchdown as a successful landing. Better that than copping a ground effect rise and the dreaded backwards momentum. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...