Orbx Central for P3Dv6?

aguiar

Official support yay or nay will be helpful.  I am not doing any tweaks to install any products.  I would like Global and do we need openLC now? as P3Dv6 does have mesh/vector data installed (it appears that way, I could be wrong)

• Like 1

Hello,
I can't answer your first question but in answer to your second question, P3D does indeed have mesh and vector data.
It could not work without it. 
Lockheed Martin greatly improved the vector data with P3D v5, so P3D v6 should be at least as good.
Addon mesh is usually better than the default, especially outside the USA, but Orbx don't do addon mesh outside the
regional products for P3D.
Neither Orbx Global Base nor openLC products are vector or mesh, except where the default mesh is really poor, such
as in some parts of South America and Africa, where through necessity, some mesh has been added to the openLC products.
I would be very surprised if Global Base and open LC do not continue to be better than P3D default textures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:40 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,
I can't answer your first question but in answer to your second question, P3D does indeed have mesh and vector data.
It could not work without it. 
Lockheed Martin greatly improved the vector data with P3D v5, so P3D v6 should be at least as good.
Addon mesh is usually better than the default, especially outside the USA, but Orbx don't do addon mesh outside the
regional products for P3D.
Neither Orbx Global Base nor openLC products are vector or mesh, except where the default mesh is really poor, such
as in some parts of South America and Africa, where through necessity, some mesh has been added to the openLC products.
I would be very surprised if Global Base and open LC do not continue to be better than P3D default textures. 

Thank you for the excellent response!!! I appreciate it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Which leaves the question open, whether Orbx Central will work with P3Dv6. I have the complete collection of P3Dv5 sceneries from Orbx, which I highly appreciate, and I'd also highly appreciate to be able to manage them via Orbx Central.

The method of using the v5 installation is a kind of workaround for me, which I - honestly - don't like much, as one of my reasons to stick with Orbx was the unique and flawless mangement of scenery configuration and installation. And they all are compatible with each other.

I know, that the community for P3D is a shrunken one, but it still exists. Please don't let us down.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Indeed Nick, they undoubtedly are better than the default ones. However, it is a shame that we have to resort to workarounds, tricks  hacks and the like to enjoy Orbx sceneries.

I have a large collection of Orbx sceneries and have to roll back to v5.4 if I want to enjoy Orbx products

Cheers

• Like 1

I am on p3D 6 now and everything is working from what I see.  If you use the Orbx library way then just adding the discovery path in addon.cfg and that is it.  I copied the terrain.cfg file from program data p3d 5 to p3d6.  If that is not done the shorelines are screwed up.  
I installed many airports and all the regional, land class and true earth and it does look better. 

if you installed to default p3d 5 then you can migrate the scenery to Orbx library. Otherwise you need to copy the Orbx folder in p3d 5 and update the scenery.cfg. Leaving the Orbx files in p3d 5 is ok, but the full path needs to be put in the scenery.cfg

p3d 6 fixed a lot of little things that are in 5.4.  Scenery pauses was one I saw that doesn’t happen in 6. 

I don’t know if just updating Orbx central to see p3d 6 and install from Orbx central. This is because I think Orbx needs to verify that the scenery is compatible with p3d 6 like they did with 5. Since they are focused on Msfs 2020, don’t see that happening.  In summary using the Orbx library is the easiest way to use Orbx in p3d 6

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

I am on p3D 6 now and everything is working from what I see.  If you use the Orbx library way then just adding the discovery path in addon.cfg and that is it.  I copied the terrain.cfg file from program data p3d 5 to p3d6.  If that is not done the shorelines are screwed up.  
I installed many airports and all the regional, land class and true earth and it does look better. 

if you installed to default p3d 5 then you can migrate the scenery to Orbx library. Otherwise you need to copy the Orbx folder in p3d 5 and update the scenery.cfg. Leaving the Orbx files in p3d 5 is ok, but the full path needs to be put in the scenery.cfg

p3d 6 fixed a lot of little things that are in 5.4.  Scenery pauses was one I saw that doesn’t happen in 6. 

I don’t know if just updating Orbx central to see p3d 6 and install from Orbx central. This is because I think Orbx needs to verify that the scenery is compatible with p3d 6 like they did with 5. Since they are focused on Msfs 2020, don’t see that happening.  In summary using the Orbx library is the easiest way to use Orbx in p3d 6

8 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

Hello Dean,

Thanks for coming in.

I use the Orbx library way, 

Could you please post an example?

Thanks

I can post some screenshots when I get bak today.  The lines in the addon.cfg in program data or the app data/roaming folder has 

discovery path

path = c:\user\Orbx library 

something like that. 
the p3d 6 will just ask too enable the addon 

39 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

I can post some screenshots when I get bak today.  The lines in the addon.cfg in program data or the app data/roaming folder has 

discovery path

path = c:\user\Orbx library 

something like that. 
the p3d 6 will just ask too enable the addon 

Thanks Dean, will be waiting for the screenshots

• Like 1

here is Southern Alaska Addon by Orbx and Validez AK   The Single engine plane is P3D 5  I do not have the Trees package in P3D 6 yet  On p3d 6 you can see a double runway, I need to disable the one in P3D 6

p3d 5.jpg

p3d 6.jpg

Edited by Dean Salman
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

here is Southern Alaska Addon by Orbx and Validez AK   The Single engine plane is P3D 5  I do not have the Trees package in P3D 6 yet  On p3d 6 you can see a double runway, I need to disable the one in P3D 6

p3d 5.jpg

p3d 6.jpg

Thanks Dean, looks great.

1 hour ago, Airwolf said:

Official Installer support for v6 will be nice.  If not going to support P3Dv6, then an official statement will suffice.  

I hope they will continue with P3D 6.  They will have to verify everything is ok in 6.  The Orbx scenery is still much better than the default and I have everything pretty much working with a few issues I have seen.  Small areas of water on the mountains south shore near Anchorage as a example.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got another plane working. It is the Milviz KA 350i which is a really nice King Air and very detailed on how to fly it. It needs a lot of graphics and since I updated my PC wanted to try it. Here are photos with True Each Southern Calif.   True Earth really worked out well in P3D 6, I may have stayed with 5 if I did not get these packages working.  They are the best out there IMHO

2023-7-15_19-28-20-483.jpg

2023-7-15_19-33-56-94.jpg

2023-7-15_19-38-30-774.jpg

2023-7-15_19-44-38-226.jpg

2023-7-15_19-46-8-450.jpg

2023-7-15_19-51-17-179.jpg

2023-7-15_19-51-45-599.jpg

2023-7-15_19-52-36-321.jpg

2023-7-15_19-55-8-661.jpg

2023-7-15_19-55-15-262.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you, Dean, for your suggestions - and the screenshots, of course.

When overthinking it soberly, I've needed Orbx Central 'only' for installation, eventual updates or the detection of new products.

The latter two , I fear, won't come true for P3Dv6.

And the installation is - hopefully - a once and forever - procedure.

I've got all sceneries installed within the P3Dv5 folder, except for those, which required the external library.

So I'm thinking about cheating to Orbx Central:

At the moment a mere theoretical plan: Rename all paths from "Prepar3D v5" to "Prepar3D v5.old", then rename all paths from "Prepar3D v6" to "Prepar3D v5".

Then run Orbx Central to "re-install" the sceneries (most probably into a library folder!).

When finished, rename back all folders before running P3D again - and ...  (I hope!) voilá!

Has anyone already tried this way?

Michael

10 hours ago, Dean Salman said:

I hope they will continue with P3D 6.  They will have to verify everything is ok in 6.  The Orbx scenery is still much better than the default and I have everything pretty much working with a few issues I have seen.  Small areas of water on the mountains south shore near Anchorage as a example.  

Thank you Dean, for your sugestions and shots, they look great. I' ve followed your method and have Orbx sceneries working now, I haven't noticed any issues, but haven't done many flights so far.

Besides Orbx I have the Milviz Beaver and Otter, Capital Sim 737-200 and some Carenado planes also,installed and running

12 hours ago, aguiar said:

Thank you Dean, for your sugestions and shots, they look great. I' ve followed your method and have Orbx sceneries working now, I haven't noticed any issues, but haven't done many flights so far.

There are minor issues when the Regional Orbx has water next to steep mountains.  I found how to fix the area east of Anchorage in the bay (this file when disabled fixes Anchorage it: !500_FTX_SAK_LC_0810 in the Custom folder)  But Junea has the same problem with another BGL file, have not looked.  The FTX_NA_SAK08_CUSTOM could be not included, but that has the great overall look to the scenery.  So I will just live with water in the mountains because Alaska looks much better with the Southern Alaska add on.  

2023-7-16_16-58-48-783.jpg

Edited by Dean Salman

24 minutes ago, Dean Salman said:

There are minor issues when the Regional Orbx has water next to steep mountains.  I found how to fix the area east of Anchorage in the bay (this file when disabled fixes Anchorage it: !500_FTX_SAK_LC_0810 in the Custom folder)  But Junea has the same problem with another BGL file, have not looked.  The FTX_NA_SAK08_CUSTOM could be not included, but that has the great overall look to the scenery.  So I will just live with water in the mountains because Alaska looks much better with the Southern Alaska add on.  

2023-7-16_16-58-48-783.jpg

Thanks Dean, will check it tomorrow

Orbx products can be installed by entering C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\add-ons

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

So add-ons in C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\ will become:

[Package.0]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Visual FX Tool
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Package.1]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Traffic Toolbox
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

On Path=C:\  "Orbx LIBRARY" should be replaced with the name of your Orbx library for P3d v5.

If your Orbx library is not located in C:\ it must be replaced with the letter where the Orbx library is installed.

When you start Prepar3D v6, you will be asked to activate each single product of the Orbx library, as happens on P3D v5.

Obviously you can only install the Orbx products present in the library and not those installed directly in the Main program of P3D v5.

• Thanks 1

Hello,
if there is no option on the Orbx Central product page, then the product is in an Orbx Central Library already.

13.jpg

If the product is installed into the simulator, then there is an option to "Migrate to Library" and the above method can then be applied to P3D v6.

12.jpg

🤥 Does the simple 'Discoverypath' method really work?

Are there any downsides? Object Flow works? Trees?

I seem to remember that a couple of V5 products could only be installed into the sim. I can't remember what they were.

I'm looking forward to trying that method. I presume it is reversable when Orbx Central is updated.

Aussie

6 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

🤥 Does the simple 'Discoverypath' method really work?

Are there any downsides? Object Flow works? Trees?

I seem to remember that a couple of V5 products could only be installed into the sim. I can't remember what they were.

I'm looking forward to trying that method. I presume it is reversable when Orbx Central is updated.

Aussie

Hi Aussie,

As explained in my previous post using DiscoveryPath is that everything in the library, including ObjectFlow, is installed.

So far I have found only one problem but that could depend on P3D v6, it concerns the poor display of trees even if Orbx Global Trees and Global TerraFlora are regularly installed.

Global Base textures and scenarios such as ESSA-KSAN-KBOS-KJAC and LIEO are displayed correctly while only in LOWI but depends on P3D v6, there is a visualization of an artifact (a small mound with a helicopter pad) between the airport buildings and the river flowing behind the apt.

• Like 1

I just tried your method this afternoon and I then acknowledged all of the Orbx items (over 100 clicks) on start-up of P3d.

It works great!

I'm just working my way through over 100 sceneries/airports in my Orbx library and testing them. A few flights between local airports and all seem fine.

There are a few layering problems with True Earth items in Europe and looking at the Scenery library, it is a bit of a mess. The discovery then import seems to have inserted every second Orbx item between an existing item.

Otherwise, I am very happy. The frame rate seems to be good.

Thank you for your explanation.

Aussie.

Edited by Aussie123

I fixed my mistake with Alaska.  I migrate everything over expect the Orbx libraries and base to the Orbx Base.   When I did the ocean water in the Alaska Mountains got fixed.  Sometimes I feel so dumb.  Everything is working great, and I am on P3D 6 100% now.  I have my aircrafts working (Carenado, PMDG) and all my addons are working.  I just had to do most of it manually.   ChasePlane Pro was release so that was the icing on the cake.  

• Like 1

Hi guys this is very hopefull topic for p3D v6 and i thank all you guys who have made good recommendations too get Orbx working in p3dv6 as ive been reading all of the stuff mention in these posts. My Orbx stuff is located within my P3d v5 folder as recommended by Orbx and not in a libary so too migrate everything from Orbx too c drive for exsample seems alot of work can i open my p3dv5 folder and safely copy and paste in too the same location in my p3dv6 folder which looks the same tho without the Orbx stuff? im just affraid too stuff up p3dv5 or it too lose or the Orbx folders? i know this has been explained tho im abit scared too try it lol. any easy suggestions for a non tech savey person would be great thanks.

Hello Guys,

I might be wrong, I'm no computer expert but, what I've found out using this DiscoveryPath method is that, one has to manually arrange the scenery layers in the correct order(which Orbx Central does with a couple clicks). I now  have all my Orbx sceneries working fine so far and also Tongass Fjords. There seems to be an issue with the trees but I haven't tested without Orbx trees

I also have Captain Sim(737-200 & 300), the Lionheart Kodiak and Carenado planes installed and working fine. Would like to know if someone has managed to install any of the iFly planes

Thanks guys for your tutorials to make it possible.

Cheers 

PS: I still would like to hear a word from Orbx about Orbx Central

24 minutes ago, Francisco Aguiar said:

Hello Guys,

I might be wrong, I'm no computer expert but, what I've found out using this DiscoveryPath method is that, one has to manually arrange the scenery layers in the correct order(which Orbx Central does with a couple clicks). I now  have all my Orbx sceneries working fine so far and also Tongass Fjords. There seems to be an issue with the trees but I haven't tested without Orbx trees

I also have Captain Sim(737-200 & 300), the Lionheart Kodiak and Carenado planes installed and working fine. Would like to know if someone has managed to install any of the iFly planes

Thanks guys for your tutorials to make it possible.

Cheers 

PS: I still would like to hear a word from Orbx about Orbx Central

tho using the discovery path method is only for Orbx stuff out side of the sim?? like in c drive as my Orbx stuff is installed in the flightsim folder G not the c drive So saying that should i put discovery path G instead? P3Dv6 is installed on drive H .

Timmo,

You need to re-read RoPol471's message above:

"On Path=C:\  "Orbx LIBRARY" should be replaced with the name of your Orbx library for P3d v5.

If your Orbx library is not located in C:\ it must be replaced with the letter where the Orbx library is installed."

If your library is located in G: then replace the C drive letter with the letter where the Orbx library is actually located. Make sure the full address is correct. It does not matter where your old P3d v5 is located. Just as long as all your Orbx products are located in a library - not within P3d v5. If they were installed into V5 directly, then now a chance to go into Orbx Central and then move each one, to your separate Library. You will see where they are located when you click and look at each of your products. If they are in P3d V5, then there should be a button to press to move them to the Library.

Aussie

18 hours ago, aguiar said:

Hi guys,

I'M Having issues with Object Flow, I wonder if it's just here or someone else is also  having issues?

Hi Aguiar,

Assuming that I have not found any problems with P3D v6 enabling of ObjectFlow and other Orbx products with the DiscoveryPath.0 procedure in add-ons that I described above, there is a "not working" problem with ObjectFlow enabled in P3D v6 that occurs if "only" Prepar3D v6 is installed in C:\.

In this case the solution is the following:

go to where P3D v5.x is installed and in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ first check that in the Prepar3D v5 folder in add-ons there is:

[Package.xx]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5\Orbx ObjectFlow
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

obviously the name of the library will be the one you chose.

so you need to copy this "folder" Prepar3D v5 in :

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\

so in C:\ProgramData\Lochkeed Martin\ there will be folders Prepar3D v5 and Prepar3D v6.

Once the Prepar3D v5 folder has been copied to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ open add-ons and verify that in :

[Package.xx]
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

let Path=C:\.... and if the letter is different change it to C:\....

The other [Package.xx] present in add-ons must not be modified because in this procedure it concerns only ObjectFlow.

Before doing this copy/paste the Prepar3D v5 folder, if ObjectFlow is not working even if it is enabled in P3D v6, it can be checked in

C:\User\Name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\ObjectFlow

and with notepad open ObjecFlow.

Here in the Log, if ObjectFlow fails, it will report the error that the add-ons file was not found in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

Therefore the ObjectFlow procedure expects that in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed there is the folder Prepar3D v5.

If ObjectFlow works in this LOG you will find:

[LOG] ObjectFlow for Prepar3D v5
[DEBUG] Loaded Plugins
[LOG] P3D is at C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6
[LOG] Core thread started!

34 minutes ago, robpol471 said:

Hi Aguiar,

Assuming that I have not found any problems with P3D v6 enabling of ObjectFlow and other Orbx products with the DiscoveryPath.0 procedure in add-ons that I described above, there is a "not working" problem with ObjectFlow enabled in P3D v6 that occurs if "only" Prepar3D v6 is installed in C:\.

In this case the solution is the following:

go to where P3D v5.x is installed and in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ first check that in the Prepar3D v5 folder in add-ons there is:

[Package.xx]
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

obviously the name of the library will be the one you chose.

so you need to copy this "folder" Prepar3D v5 in :

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\

so in C:\ProgramData\Lochkeed Martin\ there will be folders Prepar3D v5 and Prepar3D v6.

Once the Prepar3D v5 folder has been copied to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ open add-ons and verify that in :

[Package.xx]
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

let Path=C:\.... and if the letter is different change it to C:\....

The other [Package.xx] present in add-ons must not be modified because in this procedure it concerns only ObjectFlow.

Before doing this copy/paste the Prepar3D v5 folder, if ObjectFlow is not working even if it is enabled in P3D v6, it can be checked in

C:\User\Name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\ObjectFlow

and with notepad open ObjecFlow.

Here in the Log, if ObjectFlow fails, it will report the error that the add-ons file was not found in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

Therefore the ObjectFlow procedure expects that in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed there is the folder Prepar3D v5.

If ObjectFlow works in this LOG you will find:

[LOG] ObjectFlow for Prepar3D v5
[DEBUG] Loaded Plugins
[LOG] P3D is at C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6
[LOG] Core thread started!

Thanks Rob,

I' ll check it when I get home.