This Week's Meaningless Topic (#144)(June 9)

Hi all. Last week, we celebrated the visual beauty of airplanes. But I suspect that many of us have been just as thrilled by the sound of airplanes as by their appearance. The thundering roar of a jet, the throaty growl of a big radial, the friendly purr of a little Cessna or Piper -- who among us has not responded to those beautiful songs? And who among us has not been thankful for the developers who have captured those tunes so well in our flight sim planes? So this week, let's gratefully listen.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  what kind of aircraft engine sounds make you sing along?

• Like 1

We live on the eastern approach to Fairchild Air Force Base and just two miles north of Spokane International. We every day watch the K-135s do their touch-and-go rounds, the SERE helicopters going back and forth from Idaho, Navy P3s, P6s, and Growlers do alternate-field practice, plus occasional C-17s and once even Air Force One. Civilian planes out of Spokane Intl include the Boeings and Air Buses, Dash-8s, Citations, King Airs and, my little buddies, the Fed Ex and UPS Caravans that scoot in and out every several hours. We took this apartment for exactly this reason, and it's been fun for almost fifteen years. Love me my airplanes!

• Upvote 3