This Week's Meaningless Topic (#135)(April 7)

Hi all. Most of us have enjoyed flight simulation for many years and have seen it grow in detail and complexity. Professional-level planes now take weeks to learn to fly. Weather and scenery advances offer realism more real than real. Pretty soon, we may need FAA or LAPL licenses to fly the simulators. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How real is real enough for flight simulation?

• Like 4

I'm pretty stoked with MSFS 2020. 40 years ago I would've been happy with the first iteration of the Sim. Only problem I have is lack of time to enjoy it. I'm counting down the years to retirement!

Cheers 

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

:oHmmm. If it gets anymore real, the Mule Team would be grounded:unsure:. T-Bone, Hilda, Commander Chris P. Bacon and Cap'n Karl, not to mention our passengers who are all on a NO fly list, would not be too happy:angry::D Hey Hilda we need another beer up here, pretty please, Hilda?:P

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

As immersive as possible.  To start with a realistic SIM program (P3D in my case). Then add Orbx scenery and real world weather from Active Sky.  Then real, live ATC from PilotEdge.  So we've got the plane, scenery, weather and ATC.  A mouse and keyboard certainly won't cut it.  Yoke and pedals help, but not enough. So add switch panels, audio and com radio panels. A six pack (sorry, no beer) and engine gauges, A GPS unit, and put it all in as realistic an instrument panel as possible, and were getting close.  Fly that for a while, then put its realism to the test in a similar real airplane.  Actually take off, cruise, and land the plane? Talk to ATC? I can do that!

Full motion would be wonderful, but way too expensive, and besides, where would I put it.  But I can make my wife air sick with what I have.

I'm currently working on building a new instrument panel, this time modelling the Mooney Bravo as closely as possible.

Ken

Sorry, Rodge, but you know my answer to your question, so you asked for it!

• Upvote 3

a few days ago - i started a sim flight from Mackay to Hamilton Island in the Bonanza via Proserpine but didn't bother doing the usual pretake off checks 

including resetting the altimeter - and in real time and weather - the latter I did not check anyway - looked good 20 mins in the flight almost at Proserpine

the clouds suddenly loomed to the starboard side so I decided to cut and run for Hamilton direct across  the Repulse bay - and area I knew like the back of my hand from my sailing days  and aimed for the spot approach to HM  - but the wind had strengthened from the S.E so I was crabbing quite badly - lower I was dropping - in cloud

- and finally on a heading for Hamilton at what I thought was 500 feet - hoping to glimpse the runway  -  I was hit by a downdraft and crashed into the sea.

In reality - at the same time and just a few miles to the West of Proserpine - A young couple died in their Cherokee 180 in the same weather - the only difference

-in my case -  it was supposed to be a SIMULATION - but the same weather caused them to run into a hillside and were killed in real life

The weather in the Sim was real! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

a few days ago - i started a sim flight from Mackay to Hamilton Island in the Bonanza via Proserpine but didn't bother doing the usual pretake off checks 

including resetting the altimeter - and in real time and weather - the latter I did not check anyway - looked good 20 mins in the flight almost at Proserpine

the clouds suddenly loomed to the starboard side so I decided to cut and run for Hamilton direct across  the Repulse bay - and area I knew like the back of my hand from my sailing days  and aimed for the spot approach to HM  - but the wind had strengthened from the S.E so I was crabbing quite badly - lower I was dropping - in cloud

- and finally on a heading for Hamilton at what I thought was 500 feet - hoping to glimpse the runway  -  I was hit by a downdraft and crashed into the sea.

In reality - at the same time and just a few miles to the West of Proserpine - A young couple died in their Cherokee 180 in the same weather - the only difference

-in my case -  it was supposed to be a SIMULATION - but the same weather caused them to run into a hillside and were killed in real life

The beauty of the simulator: if you crash the only thing hurt is your ego.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not aiming for reality in a flightsimulator but if it looks convincing enough for me, than I am satisfied.
For instance, some plane models have a low polygon count which bothers me a lot. The model is not convincing for me then.
What can I say, I am a visual guy. :)

• Upvote 1

I also like a fair bit of reality: Real weather, appropriate traffic and study-level aircraft. Realistic flight-planning when I fly IFR, and recognizable scenery for VFR (that said I will finally add MSFS to my list). What I do not need is doing maintenance on my aircraft, that would be too much for me (let the airport crew do it...).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I also like a fair bit of reality: Real weather, appropriate traffic and study-level aircraft. Realistic flight-planning when I fly IFR, and recognizable scenery for VFR (that said I will finally add MSFS to my list). What I do not need is doing maintenance on my aircraft, that would be too much for me (let the airport crew do it...).

wow - another Easter miracle. :rolleyes::D

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Your writing feels like a novel, you got the touch, feels very nice reading it

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I simply like that all looks as real as possible, though, I am not interested at all in study level planes, I just fly

The bad thing is that if this continues getting more and more realistic I'll lose my mobility and will age at the speed of x3

Currently I'm considering flying every other day as every free second of time I have, I'm in my computer, flying or with related stuff, when not doing this, at the computer too at "work" and the time in between I sleep.

It's somehow dangerous and addictive, specially when you live alone, nothing or no one can distract you from it.

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2