This Week's Meaningless Topic (#132)(March 17)

Hi all. Before I retired, I was a parish pastor. One of the treats of that job was that people would sometimes invite me to see their collections. Some of those were carefully curated collections of valuable stamps, coins, and such. Some were just fun--spoons, dolls, salt and pepper shakers. And a few were exotic, my favorite being (get this, Gumby) beer cans from all over the world. In last week's topic, this forum gang shared lots of skills and talents. That got me thinking; I'll bet there's some interesting collections out there, too. So here we go...

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Do you collect some particular type of thing? (My wife says I collect dust)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

I collect seeds and plants.

I also have a book collection based on the founding of the US Government and some written by it's authors.  

Ex  Washington, Franklin, Webster, the Constitution, Federalist Papers, Right of Man, John Locke, etc., all hard leather bound-gold edged.  Some of my most favorite reading, except for my collection of plant books..  lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Books.  Although no longer in any major academic endeavor, I still get great pleasure from my library.  Within that I have a couple of distinct collections.  Nineteenth century almanacs, A collection of the versions of the Book Of Common Prayer of the Church of England and the American Episcopal Church. (I have all but one).  And "stuff" (generally antiques) in general.

Ken

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Books.  Although no longer in any major academic endeavor, I still get great pleasure from my library.  Within that I have a couple of distinct collections.  Nineteenth century almanacs, A collection of the versions of the Book Of Common Prayer of the Church of England and the American Episcopal Church. (I have all but one).  And "stuff" (generally antiques) in general.

Ken

I used to have a complete collection of MAD magazines. But I suppose that's not in the same league as The Book of Common Prayer, eh? And in the pulpit I quoted The Book of Common Prayer a lot more frequently than MAD. What, me worry?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Since Mad has been gone for some time, that collection would probably be worth something now!  A cultural icon of the past.  Another one is "Rocky and Bullwinkle," of which we do have the complete collection on DVD.  But collecting it was not an accomplishment; my wife bought it as a boxer set.  (As I said, "stuff").

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I collect organs.

In the last 7yrs I've collected a

Kidney and Pancreas.

I'm working on a Liver next.:D

cheers

Gumby

Not about collecting, but.... Many years ago we were contacted by a firm that would print books, brochures and flyers directly from MS Publisher, a rarity at the time.  With an order they would make a donation to a charity of the customer's choice. We were working on a small historical picture book. So we put in an order, and asked that they make a donation to "St. John's Organ Fund".  We had a little discussion about it, and they assumed that this was a fund related to organ transplants. Not so!  At church we were in the middle of a project to rebuild our 1926 Casevant Freres pipe organ.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumbypickett said:

I collect organs.

In the last 7yrs I've collected a

Kidney and Pancreas.

I'm working on a Liver next.:D

cheers

Gumby

I don't know where you keep this marvelous collection, Gumby, whether in your body or in glass jars in some diabolical basement lab.  But this is a different sort of thing than Rodger's examples, so in any case I'd prefer that you don't show me the collection!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

I don't know where you keep this marvelous collection, Gumby, whether in your body or in glass jars in some diabolical basement lab.  But in any case I'd prefer that you don't show me the collection!

Ken

You should look while you can, Ken. Gumby's liver is about to be declared a Tasmanian National Treasure and removed from public access.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

I don't know where you keep this marvelous collection, Gumby, whether in your body or in glass jars in some diabolical basement lab.  But this is a different sort of thing than Rodger's examples, so in any case I'd prefer that you don't show me the collection!

Ken

Unless you open me up Ken, you won't see it.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Wow. Do actually collect them in physical form--film reels or DVDs or such--or in seeing them?

I have them all on an external HDD stored as .mp4 files. Once the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that recording for personal use time-shifting was "fair use" and not copyright infringement (Sony Corp. of America v. Universal Studios - 1984) the door was opened and the DVR record-it-now-and-view-it-later era began. None of that applies to DMCA-protected content on physical media (such as DVD's or VHS tapes) but there is, as of now, no legal restriction on recording any streamed content for later viewing as long as it's strictly for personal use. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Lego...

I have thousands of £ worth of "grown up" Lego... From Colosseum to Millennium Falcon, driving things, flying things, roller coasters and everything in between.  I try and get stuff that inspires my kids but they just nag me to build it then they break it to loud whoops. 

My office is covered in it.   

My wife shakes her head and tuts and says I have too much - but she will still buy me something for my birthday.

Never grew out of Lego...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pukcip said:

Lego...

I have thousands of £ worth of "grown up" Lego... From Colosseum to Millennium Falcon, driving things, flying things, roller coasters and everything in between.  I try and get stuff that inspires my kids but they just nag me to build it then they break it to loud whoops. 

My office is covered in it.   

My wife shakes her head and tuts and says I have too much - but she will still buy me something for my birthday.

Never grew out of Lego...

Never had Legos, but I grew up with all kinds of building toys.  Lincoln Logs, Gilbert Erector Sets, some sort of white plastic brick building set. I can't remember the brand, but I think these were a cheaper competitor to Legos.

But I have seen wonderful Legos creations.  When I was the Premium Secretary of our County Fair I saw a lot of great Legos in the Hobby Department.  At one point we had official Lego  judges supplied by the company to judge them.

In younger years I was an avid ship model builder and collector.  My bedroom, and as much of the rest of the house as I could get my mom to agree to was a maritime museum.  I'm  still building and collecting ship models: as you say rightly, never out grow it.  But now I'm far more selective, choosing models of ships that have a personal or family connection.  Also, finding a place to display them is a challenge.

Ken

• Like 2