digital Art

Just for fun on a quiet day:rolleyes:

Once upon a time - when I was not Flugging around the blue yonder - I dabbled in Art - Brush and Digital paintings

The advent of the long awaited Antonov released today - reminded me of a diggy pic I did many years ago for a surf

chopper patrol competition :blink:

Impressions of an Aussie 'Surfpatrol' Nightmare .jpg

• Like 6

Driftwoodnew.thumb.jpg.4a3eb7d478d94fb8d82402281f921f0c.jpg

On 3/1/2023 at 5:17 AM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Very impressive, John. Share some more.

OK - some examples - and if someone wishes - I will elaborate more on a substitute for flugging on your powerful

computers - it is simply pushing around a photograph because the paint is always wet and your mouse is a brush with

the simple software - similar to the paint one in windows

impressionism is the best way to describe the colourful result - try it on famous scenes in Venice or Paris

Van Goghs Express.jpg

Spits over Dover.jpg

Lancashire My  Church.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Driftwoodnew.thumb.jpg.4a3eb7d478d94fb8d82402281f921f0c.jpg

OK - some examples - and if someone wishes - I will elaborate more on a substitute for flugging on your powerful

computers - it is simply pushing around a photograph because the paint is always wet and your mouse is a brush with

the simple software - similar to the paint one in windows

impressionism is the best way to describe the colourful result - try it on famous scenes in Venice or Paris

Van Goghs Express.jpg

Spits over Dover.jpg

Lancashire My  Church.jpg

Great artworks John, very talented indeed!

They remind me very much of Oil paintings. Digital art really is great to work with, Personally I often use Procreate.

• Like 2

Nice work John, very well done. I'm basically a sketch man, but I have dabbled with the paint using Corel Painter. When my wife was breeding Ragdolls, I did a painting of one of her cats and hung it just inside our front door. Some of the ladies adopting her kittens saw it and requests came,...please do me one. I really didn't want to do them, but hard to refuse (without offending). They are in my old computer, I'll see if I can dig a couple out and post them. 

I still have the interest in sketching, but never seem to find the time to get out the pencils. I really like that last one of yours in the church, extremely well done.

Don

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Angelo Avenoso said:

Great artworks John, very talented indeed!

They remind me very much of Oil paintings. Digital art really is great to work with, Personally I often use Procreate.

Angelo  - G'day - I had to Laugh :D - With 5 Kids - 11 grandchildren - and 8 great grandchildren - I also used procreate:rolleyes:

Seriously - thanks for the comments and I checked on procreate of course and found you must use it on your Tablet ---  "Ideas"??

I used Painter from Corel a lot - but I would recommend to anyone trying something for the first-time to use the smaller version

"Painting Essentials" Corel will let you try it out for 30days

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Nice work John, very well done. I'm basically a sketch man, but I have dabbled with the paint using Corel Painter. When my wife was breeding Ragdolls, I did a painting of one of her cats and hung it just inside our front door. Some of the ladies adopting her kittens saw it and requests came,...please do me one. I really didn't want to do them, but hard to refuse (without offending). They are in my old computer, I'll see if I can dig a couple out and post them. 

I still have the interest in sketching, but never seem to find the time to get out the pencils. I really like that last one of yours in the church, extremely well done.

Don

Great Don - it does me good to see that I am not alone in digitals - maybe with Angelo- and your contributions - we might just get participants in the hobby

and you know the software - Painter by Corel - dammed expensive though when I first bought it 15 years go

Roger and Iain seem taken with the diggies- maybe we can convert the screenshot expertise of Iain's to him to have a go - lots of scenery in Cumberland;)

I know what you mean when mates see your work and want a piece of the action -  these 2 paintings finished up on canvas for one of my Horsey mates and folks in my UK home town actually got me to do 2 years of calendars showing digitals of the old town as it used to be

Johns Horses  .jpg

JohnsSkinnyDippers crop.jpg

Calendars+In+Cannings.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now don't you guys get me started again. My wife used to give me a hard time, because I would be locked in my study for hours sketching or digital painting. She hasn't got a creative bone in her body, so didn't understand the attraction. 🙂 Have to admit, she did appreciate my efforts, as amateurish as they were.  I did a couple of courses by Jeremy Sutton that helped me a lot. Met him briefly when we were in San Francisco, his gallery is mind blowing. Mate, love those two with the horses, the lighting in the second one is beautiful.

Don

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi John, yep I agree with you, Corel was very expensive back when I bought it, not too bad these days. they keep sending me emails to upgrade to the latest version, but I don't think I'd get the value out of it now, what with sorting out MSFS problems, and my hands a bit shaky since Covid, so maybe if I get motivated, Painter is the way to go. Dust off my Wacom tablet, if it still works, couple of picks from my art library. I offered these for sale on Gumtree $350 the lot and all I got was a pack of wankers offering $50/60, I can't print here what I told them to go and do😄 anyway in hindsight, I'm glad I still have them, and often browse. One book, "A Brush With Disney" is on Amazon for $275, as I said, Wankers😀.

Not sure where all my work is, just have to dig around when I have a minute, find them and post a couple. Don't expect anything brilliant, I was just an amateur learning.

I have a couple of sketches on the wall, might take a pic of them and post.gumtreebooksale1.thumb.JPG.a9ffd746b2c822c7c6dd8643ccdd63d3.JPG

Gumtreebooksale2.thumb.JPG.ebd65d128a303c855fd597df699ac395.JPG

Gumtreebooksale4.thumb.JPG.b9913d1809d3e64991e19fa59a87452b.JPG

• Like 1

wow! Don - it looks as if you were really serious with all that literature:o I never came across Jeremy Sutton but have

just taken a looksee at his site

I came into it via Photography and a special forum where we competed with one another on Manipulations

Some one would come up with a photo(s) and challenge us to rebuild something on a theme - using Photoshop

or something similar - I used Photoimpact  - and sometimes we made book covers given a title - this was Gog and Magog

field in the UK - and the other Harry Potter meets  Valdorlord? -----  Wacomb Tablets a must - I agree when one is serious

Looking forward to seeing some of yours

5430472177_2ef5df842e_k.jpg

6037886787_77a3a11337_o.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Liked all the art I'm seeing, but especially the beach scene called to me John.  Beautiful work.

OK rob - if we have grabbed your interest - why not give it a try - even with the screen shots of flyers

The DC3 took me 5 mins using the trial copy of Corel's Painting Essentials and my mouse

5780317670_7453e5e1fa_o.jpg

qantas dc3.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks John but I struggle to do stick drawings!  I can however create beautiful landscapes on the ground, but you never know.  My sister is amazing with pastels and oils.

And Don, your library is as big as mine, albeit mine is all about plants....🙂

Here's a shot of some of my art.

image.thumb.jpeg.0c978927df64f48b844a315f48b057f6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Thanks John, I'll post some asap. My wife has had me tied up prepping for her "new arrivals" (puppies), and my work ethic has gone south since Covid. I'll post a couple of Pussy portraits, nothing special, just something I liked to do at the time. 

Don 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks John but I struggle to do stick drawings!  I can however create beautiful landscapes on the ground, but you never know.  My sister is amazing with pastels and oils.

And Don, your library is as big as mine, albeit mine is all about plants....🙂

Here's a shot of some of my art.

Stick drawings - EH? - My fellow Lancastrian -  L.S.Lowry - made his fortune using stick figures:)

nice garden - but is it permanent?

just an E.G. --- 10 mins on the PC and you could have permanent reminder printed on Canvas - 20 mins - it could be better

However - if you haven't got a PC - a Brush and paints can work !!;)

Rob's Garden (2).jpg

5594645862_fbd940ca89_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Wow - that definitely must have taken some time - the Wacom Tablet came in useful with all those whiskers - no cut and paste there

I wonder how the cats would come out on your new computer - probably half the time

----and the sketches aren't half bad either - was that Pussy Galore ? - the only sketches I can manage are the rough outs for 

my Brush Paintings

• Like 2

14 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Wow - that definitely must have taken some time - the Wacom Tablet came in useful with all those whiskers - no cut and paste there

I wonder how the cats would come out on your new computer - probably half the time

----and the sketches aren't half bad either - was that Pussy Galore ? - the only sketches I can manage are the rough outs for 

my Brush Paintings

Thanks John, all originals done in Painter, and the sketches, the Elf girl I used a fantasy pic as a reference to draw that, probably about twenty hours or so, the knights about twenty, I actually never quite finished it, it needed a lot more shading like the elf girl. AS you probably realised by my book collection, I was into fantasy work, I have heaps of sketches a lot only half done, but all on sketch pads, too hard to copy and post. I'll have to find some of digital stuff and post. I meant to mention that, some of my work I can't post here anyway, they have "boobies" in them. I did a couple of classes and as usual, figure drawing is considered "essential" as it's the hardest to do and get right.  

Edited by Aussieflyer38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

What you did with my garden is amazing John!  Yes, it's permanent but always changing....lol.

And Don, just wow!

Thanks Rob really appreciate your nice comment. I've never really shown any of my work outside family. Sketching takes so much time, and I don't have that time now, the same desire or the ability. Unfortunately since Covid my hands don't work like the used to, I get serious cramps and can't hold a pencil. Not sure how I'll go when I give the Wacom a go.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Stick drawings - EH? - My fellow Lancastrian -  L.S.Lowry - made his fortune using stick figures:)

nice garden - but is it permanent?

just an E.G. --- 10 mins on the PC and you could have permanent reminder printed on Canvas - 20 mins - it could be better

However - if you haven't got a PC - a Brush and paints can work !!;)

Rob's Garden (2).jpg

5594645862_fbd940ca89_k.jpg

Really like this John, very very nice job. One artist to another, I can appreciate the work and though that goes into every composition. I never really got into wet paint, bought the easel, but that was about it. To me it's another level of being an artist, so difficult to master, no room for error. Digital is SO forgiving. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Here's one from the master Jeremy Sutton. 

I don't have enough time left in my life to get this good or even close

Don - I don't profess to be a Jeremy Sutton - but honestly - it takes little time with the right software - which you possess - 

to be a Renoir or a Van Gogh - ;)ParisClosingSaleMontmarteCrop02.thumb.jpg.3dcf3e1b48cb8e170d16d7064402c9c9.jpg

Lancashire My Church Grotto.jpg

• Like 2

Some nice work there John, Subject matter is very important, it has to tell a story. I particularly like the second painting. Even with the right software, as you would be aware, its not just a matter of sitting down and slapping some (digital) paint on a canvas. I have some, if I can find them, and given time I will, that have taken me hours to complete, simply because most people doing this sort of art are never happy with the result and do them over and over to get the right finish (?) to their art. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to call mine "art", but I try. I've found that the more work I have to put into a painting, the more satisfaction I get when it's completed, providing of course, I'm happy with the final result. 🙂

Don

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

I've been enjoying reading this post well done to you all for contributing. 

cheers 

Iain 

thankyou Iain - your appreciation is welcomed - and making use of the subject of Digital Art - may I offer one of my works

as an Easter Greeting to you all --- to show that Easter is not all about chocolate and Easter Bunnies;)

(Iain - should you consider this not to be in keeping with forum rules - please remove)

Easter Crucifix Reduced.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Some nice work there John, Subject matter is very important, it has to tell a story. I particularly like the second painting. Even with the right software, as you would be aware, its not just a matter of sitting down and slapping some (digital) paint on a canvas. I have some, if I can find them, and given time I will, that have taken me hours to complete, simply because most people doing this sort of art are never happy with the result and do them over and over to get the right finish (?) to their art. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to call mine "art", but I try. I've found that the more work I have to put into a painting, the more satisfaction I get when it's completed, providing of course, I'm happy with the final result. 🙂

Don

Don -- too right - all we have to do is remember the paint is always wet in Digital Art:smile:

and ART is what it is  - in the eyes of the beholder - not necessarily in the eyes of the artist. 

Remember - Van Gogh only sold one painting in his lifetime:D:banghead:

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2

And Happy Easter to you and your family. Had a bit of time today, and found some of my old art, nothing worth posting mainly sketches, a lot unfinished, I had a bad habit of doing that. 🙄 With Painter, I got into a "nah that's crap" mode a lot, it's easy to get like that when you're messing around with digital paint.     

• Like 1

PSgirlexp_fluorescence.thumb.jpg.77317987792f1916d369cf79164f546f.jpg

Anna

Came across this looking for others

you undercut yourself mate - although I am a man who works many colours - I just love this study - and as I have said before - you have mastered the

control of Hair - aka the kittens - although - this kitten looks like she stems from Melbourne :rolleyes:

• Like 2

And Happy Easter to you and your family. Had a bit of time today, and found some of my old art, nothing worth posting mainly sketches, a lot unfinished, I had a bad habit of doing that. 🙄 With Painter, I got into a "nah that's crap" mode a lot, it's easy to get like that when you're messing around with digital paint.     

then!! - take up the BRUSH!! - it gets even messier and smelly :D

Cutty Sark 1970.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3