This Week's Meaningless Topic (#114)(Nov 11)

Hi all. One of the fun aspects of flight sim is that we can fly most every plane and visit most every place. We soon learn, however, that not every plane is good for flying to every place, and we begin to select the best planes for the particular flights at hand. It's that selection process that leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which plane would you select for each of the following flights?

A. Exploring the west coast of North America, Aleutians to Mexico.

B. Flying nonstop New York to London.

C. Sightseeing the United Kingdom.

D. Flying the circumference of Australia.

E. Hedgehopping both islands of New Zealand.

F. Island hopping the Caribbean.

G. Exploring the mountain ranges of Germany.

• Like 2

A,C,D,E,F,G - IMHO, nothing beats the Mooney M20M Bravo.  One caveat for A, I don't land on unpaved runways. For B I have to vote for RMS Queen Mary (1-the old one).  Unfortunately she's a deteriorating hotel/museum in Long Beach CA.  How are the mighty fallen!  Another choice for B, if flying is the only option, would be an airship like the Hindenburg, but with helium and modern carbon fiber technology.  Or an SST like the Concord, if even remotely affordable.  Or one of the luxurious classics from the days when long flights were made comfortable by good service and good food, like the Connie or the DC7- 7 Seas. My favorite Mooney can't do it, and even if it could, I couldn't endure it.  Based on my limited transatlantic experience, all other options are forbidden by the Constitution as "cruel and unusual punishment.". If getting there isn't at least half the  fun, I'm not going.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2

A. Exploring the west coast of North America, Aleutians to Mexico. Beechcraft King Air.

B. Flying nonstop New York to London. Boeing 777.

C. Sightseeing the United Kingdom. Cessna 337.

D. Flying the circumference of Australia. Piper Seneca.

E. Hedgehopping both islands of New Zealand. Dehavilland Beaver.

F. Island hopping the Caribbean. Dehavilland Twin Otter Amphibian.

G. Exploring the mountain ranges of Germany. Pilatus Porter PC6.

• Upvote 2

My trusted C 47 for all of them. Except that I would have to leave Hilda behind for some of those flights do to :unsure:weight issues and therefore distance before refueling. Sadly though that means I would have to retrieve my own beers from the galley:angry::P:D. Happy flying guys. Cheers k:D

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

for me it would be any of the Buses for the longer flights, depending on the range needed or airport I am landing at.....

for the shorter stuff the Twotter I like a lot, in it's various types, Wheeled, Tundra, Skis & Floats...

• Upvote 1

A.  Probably the Kodiak amphibian. Good for exploring and can land most places, ideal for the coast.

B. SR71 Blackbird at Mach 3 and 80,000'. Anything less would remind me of the many long boring flights that I have made in real life.

C. Not easy - either a Spitfire for sheer fun, or maybe Piper Arrow.

D. Pilatus PC-12. Privately owned obviously and kitted out for luxury

E.  Perhaps a Twin Otter which should cover most bases

F. Anything small with great air conditioning

G. Perhaps a V35 Bonanza or a Cessna 310. Fairly practical and ok for slower sightseeing.

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, Ken Q said:

A,C,D,E,F,G - IMHO, nothing beats the Mooney M20M Bravo.  One caveat for A, I don't land on unpaved runways. For B I have to vote for RMS Queen Mary (1-the old one).  Unfortunately she's a deteriorating hotel/museum in Long Beach CA.  How are the mighty fallen!  Another choice for B, if flying is the only option, would be an airship like the Hindenburg, but with helium and modern carbon fiber technology.  Or an SST like the Concord, if even remotely affordable.  Or one of the luxurious classics from the days when long flights were made comfortable by good service and good food, like the Connie or the DC7- 7 Seas. My favorite Mooney can't do it, and even if it could, I couldn't endure it.  Based on my limited transatlantic experience, all other options are forbidden by the Constitution as "cruel and unusual punishment.". If getting there isn't at least half the  fun, I'm not going.

Ken

Have to agree with Ken. The Mooney is great. I have one with ferry tanks so can do longer flights. As for B, too bad you said nonstop or I would have gone with the Mooney too. If nonstop I would have to go with the Concorde.

Larry

• Upvote 1