A day at Sandane ....

renault

This is a very detailed airport which I like very much. It's not that large, but as you explore it, it grows on you,

The airport looks benign , but IRL it is subject to very high winds and severe turbulence.  In fact it is listed in several references as one of the top

20 scariest runways in the world.  Needless to say, significant disruption to schedules is the norm here.

Both ends of the runway terminate in fjords. European route E39 which goes from Denmark to Norway  passes through a tunnel underneath one 

end of the runway.

The future of the airport is uncertain as due to the difficult weather conditions, it has historically been very underutilized.

The bedrock in Nordfjord consists of Precambrian gneisses and granites which are 1000-1800 million years old. The rocks are divided into two main units; the Fjordane Complex (at surface) and the Jostedal Complex (at depth).  The outcropping rocks are banded gneiss and granitic gneiss. (1)

1.  Glacial geology and deglaciation chronology of the area between inner Nordfjord and Jostedalsbreen Strynefjellet, western Norway NORALF RYE, ATLE NESJE, RUNE LIEN, LARS HARALD BLIKRA, OLIANNE EIKENÆS, PER AUDUN HOLE & INGRID TORSNES Rye, N., Nesje, A., Lien, R., Blikra, L. H., Eikenæs, 0., Hole, P. A. & Torsnes,

1.: Glacial geology and deglaciation chronology of the area between inner Nordfjord and Jostedalsbreen - Strynefjellet, western Norway. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift, Vol. 77, pp. 51-63. Oslo 1997. ISSN 0029-196X.

Cheers

R

aa-2-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-19-30-3

b-3-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-19-30-25

c-4-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-19-28-45

d-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-19-34-31

e-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-12-18

f-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-14-35

g-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-16-39

h-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-18-24

i-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-20-34

j-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-22-48

k-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-25-46

l-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-26-35

m-1-Flight-Simulator-2021-10-24-22-28-24

• Like 8

Wonderful wintry screenies here Pete, and I too enjoyed the background on this little airport that you provided. I can attest to the risky weather there (in the sim) as my first flight out of there in MSFS after purchasing ENSD was exactly like you describe. The sun was shining, no clouds, and just like you suggest, everything looks benign. However, I had REX Weather Force Live weather running, and when I took off I was immediately slammed with strong gusty winds in excess of 40-50mph. And I was in a C172! That was an adventurous flight :D

Cheers!

Landon

11 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots there Pete, visually the quality of the snow on the ground in the shot below the mixer is very good....

Thanks Wayne:)

Cheers

Pete

11 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots Pete and background info!

John.

Thanks JM

See you

Pete

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Very solid shots Pete . :):D

Thanks John

It was very cold when I was there and everything was "rock solid" :D

See you:)

Pete

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Thanks for all the info about the airport Pete, your shots are excellent.

Thanks John

Cheers:)

Pete

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Wonderful wintry screenies here Pete, and I too enjoyed the background on this little airport that you provided. I can attest to the risky weather there (in the sim) as my first flight out of there in MSFS after purchasing ENSD was exactly like you describe. The sun was shining, no clouds, and just like you suggest, everything looks benign. However, I had REX Weather Force Live weather running, and when I took off I was immediately slammed with strong gusty winds in excess of 40-50mph. And I was in a C172! That was an adventurous flight :D

Cheers!

Landon

Thanks Landon

It was quite interesting reading background about it.  For such a small airport, it proportionally it has more staff because of the

difficult weather conditions. With limited usage and high costs, it is understandable that it is difficult to keep it operational.

REX does a good job at times I found, but at others it is a bit off.

I'm hoping that MS/Asobo will open up the sdk for weather which will allow the REX folks to fine tune their product.

I can image you were happy that this was a sim and not IRL when something like that will happen

PS- I didn't show any screenies of my takeoff and "shortly thereafter" .  I tried live weather and it didn't end well at all! :( 

Cheers

Pete  

• Like 2

On 10/31/2021 at 5:32 PM, Steve Colbert said:

Trying to stop on too short runways is one of the true pleasures in life. :)

At least on a computer :lol::lol:

On 10/31/2021 at 8:29 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

I will not rue the day when I can dump P3D for this if I ever get the darned planes I want!

I wouldn't hold my breath :)

• Haha 1