Landmarks London City Pack - loading screen freeze

Hello,

There appears to be an issue with the Landmarks London City Pack for MSFS. Each time I install this pack to the Community folder, the loading screen (after clicking on the 'Fly' button) will freeze. The blue bars and the loading screen text will stop moving. I've left the Simulator on this screen for almost an hour. Nothing loads. If I remove the Landmarks London City Pack. The loading screen issue is no longer a problem.

I will like to point out the steps I've tried in order to resolve this issue.

A complete reinstall of MSFS.

Removing all other content from the Community folder.

Running MSFS as administrator.
Changing/lowering the graphic settings within MSFS.

All drivers are updated.

The Landmarks London City Pack installed from the Orbx Client OR though the MSFS Marketplace. Not both at the same time.

My PC spec

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 AM4 (not OC)

GPU - GTX 970. Yes its an older card but runs MSFS just fine.

RAM - 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz.
OS - Windows 10 Home. All updates installed.

Thanks

Edited by SimulatorDaz

The blue bar freezing can be related to a conflict with an add on, particularly any tree size or scenery distance files installed. Lots of topics about how to check. Search community folder and you should get the info you need 

27 minutes ago, John Dow said:

The blue bar freezing can be related to a conflict with an add on, particularly any tree size or scenery distance files installed. Lots of topics about how to check. Search community folder and you should get the info you need 

After purchasing the add-on I really don't expect to be looking through files and folders to fix broken content. How do I stand in terms of a refund?

Edited by SimulatorDaz

Hello,

it has been a fact since the release of this simulator and the thousands of freeware addons, that some of them conflict.

If you doubt this, a read of any MSFS forum will quickly show you that it is the case.

Product support have of course no control of how many a customer may have installed, so I simply install everything

that can be bought at Orbx Direct and nothing else, to ensure that none of them conflict.

As things stand none of them do.

The simple way to determine if there is a conflict is to rename the Community folder to CommunityX and then create a

new Community folder. Move only the product that you believe is defective into it and run the simulator.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

it has been a fact since the release of this simulator and the thousands of freeware addons, that some of them conflict.

If you doubt this, a read of any MSFS forum will quickly show you that it is the case.

Product support have of course no control of how many a customer may have installed, so I simply install everything

that can be bought at Orbx Direct and nothing else, to ensure that none of them conflict.

As things stand none of them do.

The simple way to determine if there is a conflict is to rename the Community folder to CommunityX and then create a

new Community folder. Move only the product that you believe is defective into it and run the simulator.

In my OP I've already stated that I've done a complete fresh install of MSFS and placed the Landmarks London City Pack into the Community folder with no other addons. This didn't fix the issue.

Edited by SimulatorDaz

28 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

an update has been sent to the marketplace, in the meantime, replicating what you have done, here is the product at work.

HMS Belfast is unique to the Orbx product.

5.jpg

Hi, When you say an update has been sent to the Marketplace. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Hello,

it may also be that there will  be an update in Orbx Central but so far, there have been very few

reports such as this one.

That is not to say that your report is not considered to be valid, just that we are not able to replicate it.

As there is no logging system in MSFS, there is little that can be done to research a problem that is not universal.

I am sure that you will have read the hundreds, if not thousands, of contradictory reports from users, not for this

product necessarily, those who clearly state that a given addon crashes the simulator, followed by an almost equal number 

of users who can use the product without a problem.

Do you run anything else alongside MSFS?

When the simulator crashes, is there a useful report in Windows event viewer?

There's very little running in the background along with Windows 10. I have the Ryzen Master software from AMD. Switching this off didn't resolve anything. I also have the Windows Security software. This is built into Windows 10. 

After looking through the Event Viewer in Windows 10 I've found nothing related to the issue with MSFS.

I've attached a screenshot of the frozen loading screen. The background music continues to play, but the text and blue bar don't progress.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 09_08_2021 14_53_18.png

Edited by SimulatorDaz

6 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

thanks, I'll ask the developers.

Thank you. 

There is one thing I've noticed and have tested it a few times now. MSFS will load any flight plane outside of the UK even though the Landmark Pack is installed. I then tried one within the UK. The loading freeze happens again. I'm not sure if this information is any help or not.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

thanks, I'll ask the developers.

I have London Landmarks, installed from Orbx Central, and when active and spawning at London City airport, it sends the sim to the desktop.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001d8ecde
Faulting process id: 0xbac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78d67f1f3f3f6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 64ad5f07-5037-4500-af72-871175efe7ab
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Edited by Bert Pieke

42 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have London Landmarks, installed from Orbx Central, and when active and spawning at London City airport, it sends the sim to the desktop.

I can spawn at Gatwick and fly north to the city and land at London City OK... but if I go to Developer mode and teleport to EGLC, I also crash the sim.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001d8ecde
Faulting process id: 0x1b88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78d6ad2d91d66
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 45d90f36-2e25-4e68-a78a-41bc9ee676a2
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Edited by Bert Pieke

My suggestion is that you delete the contents within your SceneryIndexes (AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes*.dat) folder and delete your Content.xml. The 2 files will be renewed when you next open MSFS. It can solve a lot of problems.
Also it is advised to temporarily remove or rename your Community folder when doing any updates of MSFS so as to minimise any negative impacts on addons. You may have done that but this is just a guide to others.

When sim updates occur they can sometimes disrupt the sequencing in the folders I mention above.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SimulatorDaz said:

There's very little running in the background along with Windows 10. I have the Ryzen Master software from AMD. Switching this off didn't resolve anything. I also have the Windows Security software. This is built into Windows 10. 

After looking through the Event Viewer in Windows 10 I've found nothing related to the issue with MSFS.

I've attached a screenshot of the frozen loading screen. The background music continues to play, but the text and blue bar don't progress.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 09_08_2021 14_53_18.png

I've had a couple of instances of loading screen freeze, but it generally freezes before it gets to the full colour image (none since the last hotfix), it's generally a little washed out, but I've also had long loading times where the progress bar seems to stop, and have had to wait for up to a couple of minutes for it to load. I generally leave it if the text on the screen changes.

4 hours ago, SteveJRix said:

I can also confirm that this is an issue. Loading freezes at any airport near London. Nearly an hour after disabling other London content individually, London Landmarks is to blame.

I've just checked and I don't have a problem with both the landmarks and EGLC installed. I don't use rolling cache or photogrammetry. If you do use any cache, you could always try to delete it, then turn it off and try to load at the airport.

19 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

My suggestion is that you delete the contents within your SceneryIndexes (AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes*.dat) folder and delete your Content.xml. The 2 files will be renewed when you next open MSFS. It can solve a lot of problems.

Deleted both and still get the same CTD when spawning at London City.

That did not solve my problem..

I should add that I do not own any addon airports for the UK..  only London Landmarks.

I can spawn at EGLL, EGWU... but certain CTD if spawning at EGLC.

Edited by Bert Pieke

There was a time when I suffered that (before the last update)

But I solved it as explained by Jon

A blank community folder

Deleted the scenery indexes

Deleted the content file

Opened the sim and cleared the Cache and turned it OFF

Closed the sim and opened it

Closed it and opened it again

Added a scenery and tested

All working

Addiotinals

Only payware installed and updated

Then istalled plane liveries in drops and tested

The scenery was added by countries and tested, long way, lost of time lost but fortunately have everything working with no crashes

Free addons so far, all for Costa Rica, Panama, New Zealand, Hong Kong

Very hesitant of adding additional freeware and the fixing is irritating and extereamly time consuming

I have the impression that the sim has like a sort of memory that "remembers" what you had (maybe the rolling cache?) that is why I opened and closed it a couple of times to make sure it load correctly under the updated state. I might be wrong but I got everything solved after having passed through this nightmare of testing and reinstalling stuff 5 times. Don't want to go down that street anymore.

Cheers

Carlos

Oh, I forgot and using the addon linker

Everytime I add a scenery I run the tool that one that fixes the material lib stuff

Products on Orbx Central appeared here too, so they get "fixed" from a potential conflict with other payware products

Some of the list, that I rememeber, MK Studios, Gaya, etc

So this tool might have been also part of all the fixes and deserves a space, credit, be mentioned here.

Cheers

Edited by carlosqr

I have exactly the same problem, on both my tower and laptop.

London Landmarks causes the sim to freeze, on both systems, when loading into EGLC (Orbx version).
Both of these items were purchased from the in game marketplace, not Orbx directly.

Uninstalling the landmarks fixes this issue.

This happened as soon as SU5 was downloaded and installed and neither of the hotfixes have made any difference.

Is there an update incoming that will fix this problem??

Edited by Mondy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

It appears that the MS Marketplace version is having these issues, as the product installed via Orbx Central does not.

Sorry, no.

I bought London Landmarks from Orbx Direct.

Spawning at EGLC crashes the sim, every time.

Edit: Just turned off the Rolling Cache.. not fixed.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Have you tried out the suggestions that @carlosqr suggested?

Quote:

A blank community folder

Deleted the content file

All working

I cannot and others also, reproduce the CTDs you are experiencing. Very difficult to work out the problem when seen by some but not others. i don't think there is an issue with the addon that an uninstall and reinstall may help resolve the issue. after trying the suggestions above.

After the update I had MSFS working perfectly. Then I fiddled with a single file (tree size modification). After that it would not load. There was no error code or any other diagnosis available. To cut a long story short, I realised that I would need to uninstall and reinstall. 

Not an easy decision and cost me a full day but since then MSFS has performed faultlessly.  It may be the best option if there is no alternative. 

BTW my EGLC and London Landmarks takes a long time for the blue bar to move across (>5 minutes at a guess), my MSFS is on an SSD, the sceneries are on an 8TB HDD. If you have HDD all the way it may take forever to load. 

11 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Have you tried out the suggestions that @carlosqr suggested?

Quote:

A blank community folder

Deleted the content file

All working

I cannot and others also, reproduce the CTDs you are experiencing. Very difficult to work out the problem when seen by some but not others. i don't think there is an issue with the addon that an uninstall and reinstall may help resolve the issue. after trying the suggestions above.

Hi Jon,

I just followed your instructions to the letter.

Empty Community folder etc etc...  can load at EGLC fine.

Activate London Landmarks, loading at EGLC crashes the sim.

When you are testing, are you also testing it without Orbx EGLC active??

11 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I will ask if the Marketplace update is to be added to Orbx Direct.

I have no idea why some of us can use it and some of us cannot,

there are too many potential variables to hazard a useful guess.

One more datapoint...  If I configure London Landmarks to NO UK World Update, I can load up at EGLC.  But I get the duplicate London Eye Ferris Wheel as expected..  If I then configure it to YES UK World Update, it crashes my sim on loading, as before.

Hi,  like many others I too cant use London Landmarks. I thought it was a well known thing but I guess not. There are several posts on the flight sim forums from users who have  had to uninstall the landmarks (like myself).  I only checked (& signed up) to this forum today to see if there was an update yet, as I presumed you would be working on it.

The problem started with SU5 (or the first hotfix, I cant remember the exact one) but uninstalling London Landmarks then reinstalling it, solved it.. but since Hotfix 2 this doesn't work. MSFS stops at the loading screen every time.

London City airport is fine though.. it's just landmarks.

ps: I absolutely love GB Central!  I cant wait for more parts of the UK :)

Regards

Steve  

• Thanks 1