Sim Update 5 is out now. FTX sceneries need any update too?

Im downloading now this 40Gb patch but what about update for Orbx sceneries? They need update also by Orbx Direct?

I have no idea because I am downloading this official update, but I would like to know if what I have is compatible e.g. with this new LOD etc.

Thx for reply. :)

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

• YoYo changed the title to Sim Update 5 is out now. FTX sceneries need any update too?

So far i only know about an Ex-Ante Update for LEBL by LatinVFR and an Update for the Bredok3D Eurofighter that Simmarket gave out for free for a while. 

After that, I checked Orbx Central, where - as Nick said - no updates are avaibable yet.

Just to clear things up, IF updates should be available, would Orbx Central alert the users about available updates for sceneries or do we have to dig into the sceneries to see if something is available?

Greetings, 

Paul

• Like 1

I would say once Orbx get chance to test they will post to central, just fire up Central each time you are at PC, if there's an update it will let you know, easy update system compared to some other devs.....

• Like 1

I appear to have an issue with the London Landmarks add on. If I configure it WITHOUT the UK World update then the sim loads a flight fine. However, if I configure with the UK update - which is of course installed - then I get the widely reported problem of the flight never loading, the blue progress bar advances but even after several minutes the flight never begins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RiddlesdenLad said:

I appear to have an issue with the London Landmarks add on. If I configure it WITHOUT the UK World update then the sim loads a flight fine. However, if I configure with the UK update - which is of course installed - then I get the widely reported problem of the flight never loading, the blue progress bar advances but even after several minutes the flight never begins. 

Same here, I have all WU's installed and was getting the same issue as you, I went into the marketplace and WU's 1, 2 and 3 are no longer installed, I am re-installing these 3 WU's now to see if that fixes it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Morgo_The_MonkeyGod said:

I'm getting non responsive, flight will not load, blue loading bar get stuck at about 60% when trying to start near London City Airport. Tested with and without other community addons. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Uninstalled London City and it seems fine so far.

That's one of the frustrating parts of this sim, the unpredictability, makes identifying root causes particularly tricky. That said I've not had any issues with EGLC in the past few weeks and months, my issues have always been linked to the London Landmarks add-on. That's not to say the EGLC isn't the caase of your problems, its clearly not a universal issue though. 

• Like 1

Immensely frustrating. But I'm going to be patient and  see what arises.
Otherwise mostly good since update. Framerates are much better...
Hmmm... I have had some CTD's, they may have been in the London area...

8 minutes ago, RiddlesdenLad said:

That's one of the frustrating parts of this sim, the unpredictability, makes identifying root causes particularly tricky. That said I've not had any issues with EGLC in the past few weeks and months, my issues have always been linked to the London Landmarks add-on. That's not to say the EGLC isn't the caase of your problems, its clearly not a universal issue though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Morgo_The_MonkeyGod said:

Okay...I've reinstalled City Airport and am getting the stuck loading bar again.

Bizarre. By the way, I was getting irrecoverable freezes - not CTD's - with Off Line AI airdraft turned on. I've switched to Real Time AI air traffic and not had another fatal freeze - go figure!

• Like 1

Triple check you have WU3 installed or matched to how you have it configured in central, city wasn't loading for, I check the marketplace, and WU3 was no longer installed, so I reinstalled it and now city airport works again.

I do however think we'll see a few Orbx updates as DD's KDCA is missing statics and terminal interiors for example

• Like 1

Btw. about CTD - currently I have nothing in the Community folder (even Orbx sceneries) and I have chances for 50% or more for CTD. Something was happened bad in this SU5. The rest is VERY ok for me, but near each flight = CTD :/.

• Sad 1

Hello,

I don't know if it would help, but it seems that pretty much everything has been updated.

If you have not already done so, a visit to the content manager and applying all of the

updates will result in a download of at least as much as half of the original update again.

At present, in the UK, this process is deathly slow, it is still updating 17 hours after starting.

• Sad 2

The first place I went yesterday after installing all the updates (including going to Content Manager and installing all five updates for all five previous World Updates (!!)) was London to check out how my Orbx London pack was doing. Looked great to me, though I may have missed something and, of course, it was a lot smoother FPS wise, so I'm happy. However, there is a message in the forums of another well-known developer that I will post below. I learned my lesson about posting anything about a non-Orbx partner here, so I won't mention them or their product by name, but it seems to imply that we are all about to see a LOT of updates to various sceneries in MSFS-land...

If you have updated to Sim Update V.. please read carefully:
With the July 27, 2021 MSFS update (Sim Update V), there has been numerous changes to the game engine. Some of the changes make wrong textures show at addon airports.

If you purchased **** via the MSFS Marketplace:
We've had early access to Sim Update V and have already submitted a **** update for Microsoft to publish in mid-July. Unfortunately it takes Microsoft several weeks to publish updates, and there is a large queue of many developers submitting updates at the same time. We expect the update to be live soon.. though we have no estimate from Microsoft.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Morgo_The_MonkeyGod said:

I'm getting non responsive, flight will not load, blue loading bar get stuck at about 60% when trying to start near London City Airport. Tested with and without other community addons. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Uninstalled London City and it seems fine so far.

Hey guys, I have the same problem here! When loading London landmark and EGLC, I got stuck at 100% and run out off available memory, then CTD. You are not the only one.

• Sad 1

Hi

I wonder if the common basic procedure of turning off and deleting the rolling cache, and also deleting the content.xml and Scenery Indexes files, and then restarting the sim would rectify some of these issues? It certainly is harmless to try.

• Like 1

Dear Orbx, dear friends

My experience with this “WORST. UPDATE. EVER.” - You will find a lot of users may have negative issues with the raw sim, let alone your addons - I bet that is already causing you to drink antacids by the gallon already. I hhave definitely experienced all your reported issues as well.

Plenty of CTDs and total seize ups. I have removed ALL the community items (the simple way - take the folder out of the msfs directory)

So starting with any default aircraft (15 new starts so far) I sometimes don’t even get past the “Fly Now” selection - those are mostly game freezes. The first issue was that all my own settings were reset to default - although the controller profiles with my own names were still there. Changing some of these also killed the sim. Also - I am a Stream Deck user and now I get the feeling that they have changed the keyboard shortcuts without telling us - there were a couple of CTDs using Stream Deck inputs. This should not be because all SD does is to send a keypress signal to msfs.

Also - after this update the computer is running around 10-15 degrees hotter on the GPU and 5 + on the CPU. So it looks like this update will negatively affect performance of Orbx sceneries. Well, all addons using hi-res textures.

When I do get to the parked up on ramp position I have had CTDs while setting the controls, tuning radios, taxying - I haven’t yet made it off the ground yet. No - I am not a noob. Ihavebeen using flightsims since Bruce Artwick was the name… So, dear Orbx friends, I reckon your plane making partners will have a lot to work on too,

I will now shut down and wait until tomorrow - Of course I will drop a bomb on Zendesk. I also bet I will get a reply like "remove all addons in the Community folder".

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tryed all possible scenarios, on every new attemt to start a flight a CTD, the only thing that goes was doying a flight in default C172 as rookie in the proposed NY-area with landing at Neark airport. But as soon to add a Orbx or 3th party scene in the community-folder, no change to complete a flight.

Double checked to have all available updates installed and having a fresch content.xml file and an empty community folder ---> disappointed in SU5 and hope for a fix soon by the msfs-developpers.

• Sad 1

I posted this elsewhere but probably more relevant here.

Landmarks London City Pack (MS Marketplace version) need a fix. 

Clean install of MS2020 SU5. Runs like a dream. Massive FPS increase. Few crashes in menus but not while flying so far.

Landmarks London City Pack (MS Marketplace version) crashed the simulator every time within mere seconds of pressing  FLY. 
So...

Reboot & retry three times - same problem. (Other cities I've tried work fine btw.)
Uninstall City pack. Voila. Straight into London. No crash.

Reinstall LLCP - crash

Uninstall LLCP - no crash

REINSTALL LLCP = crash

I think there's a problem with this module in SU5.  EGLC London City Airport is fine.

: I9800k, 3080,64gb, 2gb NVME

• Like 1

Just keep in my that I don't own EGLC, but I do own Landmarks London and, as said above, it was the first place I flew around after installing ALL the updates. London Landmarks is not broken. There could be some issue with some building or something like that which I didn't notice, but London Landmarks certainly does not crash SU5 with the updates to all the World Updates. I am using the Orbx version, but it hasn't changed in months and is the same as the current MS Marketplace version.

• Like 1

So this is unrelated to London but I can confirm that Drzwiecki Moscow pack causes infinite load. I removed it and everything is fine. A lot of third party scenery is inop currently. Same with aircraft that hasn't been updated. So if anyone experiences crashes or infinite loads, check to make sure you don't have scenery present in that spot. 

2 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

So this is unrelated to London but I can confirm that Drzwiecki Moscow pack causes infinite load. I removed it and everything is fine. A lot of third party scenery is inop currently. Same with aircraft that hasn't been updated. So if anyone experiences crashes or infinite loads, check to make sure you don't have scenery present in that spot. 

That's what I was afraid of. Thus, I'm going the opposite way. I have been only flying the naked sim after the upgrade so far, but will try the addons bit by bit (using the Addon Linker) to see which ones do work.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Hello,

I suspect that these experiences are variable and depend on how the customer applied the update.

It is not easy to provide an across the board guide, because there are three different installation methods,

Microsoft Store, Steam and DVD.

I made a short guide for the Microsoft Store version, because it worked for me:

Drzwiecki Moscow works as it should.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nick, the things you mentioned have all been done pre-update. Newly generated content.xml, packages deleted, all that. 

Try loading a flight into UUWW. See if you experience an infinite load. Cause I did that 3 times last night with the DC-6 and it was infinite load every time until I removed Moscow pack. I know it's DD and not Orbx, but since it's sold through you guys and it seems to affect users, I thought I'd bring it up. There are many reports of users experiencing infinite load screen with various scenery packages until those packages are removed. This update has been fairly disastrous. Thanks for understanding. 

20 hours ago, ikbenik said:

Tryed all possible scenarios, on every new attemt to start a flight a CTD, the only thing that goes was doying a flight in default C172 as rookie in the proposed NY-area with landing at Neark airport. But as soon to add a Orbx or 3th party scene in the community-folder, no change to complete a flight.

Double checked to have all available updates installed and having a fresch content.xml file and an empty community folder ---> disappointed in SU5 and hope for a fix soon by the msfs-developpers.

After complete restart of my PC, Steam and MSFS with again cleaned community folder and content.xml but also emptied the 'sceneryIndexes' file and de-activated the AI

possibility(not the real-air AI), the FS is now running as expected and by adding more and more Orbx and 3rd party Addons sofar no CTD's encounterd...:)

After extensive (and tedious... and time consuming!) my totals of CTDs and lockups/freeze ups reads something like a Rugby score...

I had already updated drivers pre update by the way

Post update with just the community deleted: 11 CTD  8 lockups somewhere in this lot I did delete community

At this point I deleted community, rolling cache and content.xml - again, just to make sure

After reinstall: 15 flights (default and shop-bought addons) I tally 12 CTD 0 freeze ups and only 3 flights registered in logbook (and as per usual there was one "no take off" and one no landing (that was deliberate field landing)

Oh yes - at around the third flight with CTD I did check my payware update software - surprisingly, there was a graphics card update that had been uploaded by nVidia today - I OFFER THIS AS A TIP BECAUSE YOU MAY THINK YOU HAVE ALL NEW UPDATES - BUT SOMETIMES EVEN OTHER SOFTWARE HOUSES AND HARDWARE SELLERS MANAGE TO GET AN UPDATE OUT AT SHORT NOTICE

I am now eagerly awaiting Zendesk to ttell me to delete rolling cache, community and content.xml or for them to tell me to update drivers - I don't expect Zendesk to actually help me here - they only seem to autorespond with off the shelf stock replies.

So the reason I am grumbling here (and other non-msfs/Asobo fora) is in the hope that someone may have a useful sugestion

Edited by EagleSkinner

6 hours ago, EagleSkinner said:

I am now eagerly awaiting Zendesk to ttell me to delete rolling cache, community and content.xml

And don't forget about deleting the .dat files in the Scenery Indexes folder, just incase they do. :)

13 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Nick, the things you mentioned have all been done pre-update. Newly generated content.xml, packages deleted, all that. 

Try loading a flight into UUWW. See if you experience an infinite load. Cause I did that 3 times last night with the DC-6 and it was infinite load every time until I removed Moscow pack. I know it's DD and not Orbx, but since it's sold through you guys and it seems to affect users, I thought I'd bring it up. There are many reports of users experiencing infinite load screen with various scenery packages until those packages are removed. This update has been fairly disastrous. Thanks for understanding. 

Hello,

I have tried what you suggest and it just works.

Please note that I do not use AI aircraft, photogrammetry or multiplayer. 

For multiplayer, I use JoinFS instead.

Did you do all of the suggested steps?

1.jpg

My cure - complete uninstall and removal of this w.o.t.

I will spend the next day or two cleaning up my PC, moving C: to a new 2 TB SSD. Also installing a new 2+ TB SSD for the flight sim program.

I may even not load msfs for a month or even a year - this has been one disastrous adventure after another. DESPITE the pleasure it has given me. It just isn't worth the hassle to have to rebuild my system every time msfs/asobo decide to release a downdate.

I shall still hang around the fora though, because it will be nice to follow the adventures of simmers.

I just visited the msfs fora - there has been a lot of invective fired at msfs  and the hotfix.

I think that msfs/asobo have failed to grasp the principles of good quality management. I spent many years in real life as a quality manager. 6 Sigma green and black belts. Poka Yoka, ISO 900x. I even wrote books on the subject. There are a few aerospace companies using my quality management handbooks too. My favourite adage comes from when US industry helped to to build the Japanese car industry and told them that it would be a great goal to aim for 95% production quality; to which a wise Japanese engineer responded "So... we have to make five bad cars every hundred?" It does seem like msfs/asobo are employing a US quality mentality with their flight simulator.

"Let's release an update and see what the public can find. Then we can rekease a hotfix to say 'look how good we are!' "

Then they go away, loudly praising and applauding their efforts and patting themselves on their backs.

Hello,

as I am sure you know, it is far more common for the dissatisfied to visit a forum that for those that are satisfied.

Although there is indeed a history of things being fixed in an update that also breaks previous fixes, overall

I think that the update has been a success.

From my own perspective, I experience very few of the problems that are being reported and all of those that I

do experience have easy work arounds.

As MSFS updates go, I think this one is indeed a resounding success.

From the QC point of view, many of the problems are experienced by some and yet others have a virtually trouble

free experience.

I suspect that the reason for that in most cases is the countless combinations of

PC hardware

PC configuration

user actions

added software

unauthorised file structure changes and so on,

which can never be thoroughly tested by a relatively few beta testers versus the apparent millions of users who

will between them, find any fault after the release. 

Let's face it, some things cannot be foreseen, as a very quick glance at the aircraft industry will make only too clear.

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, Seanmo said:

Just keep in my that I don't own EGLC, but I do own Landmarks London and, as said above, it was the first place I flew around after installing ALL the updates. London Landmarks is not broken. There could be some issue with some building or something like that which I didn't notice, but London Landmarks certainly does not crash SU5 with the updates to all the World Updates. I am using the Orbx version, but it hasn't changed in months and is the same as the current MS Marketplace version.

"London Landmarks is not broken" ? Beg to differ. Maybe it conflicts with the EGLC airport that you don't have? Dunno
Anyway after installing the SU5 hotfix I no longer get random crashes... so far. However reinstalling London Landmarks (MS store version) Bingo. The screen locks up instantly and the system has crashed. Uninstall it and its good to go. There's clearly a problem somewhere and Orbx will get to it soon enough. I'm definitely not alone. See here  https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?332959-Hotfix-First-Impressions&p=2161873#post2161873

Time will tell