An unforgettable day in the outback (part 1)

Stillwater

Very rare that I have to split a flight report in two posts, but this one just had too many sights. This is a replication of a highlight day of our last family vacation: It started at Yulara, ...

FFQBo2K.jpg

... watching the sunrise at Uluru was followed by hiking through the nearby rock formation:

nUP5KvE.jpg

The longer of the famous Kata Tjuta hikes leads through the Valley of the Winds, ...

ZI2V375.jpg

... passes a helipad at the north side...

A466RXL.jpg

dEZVifR.jpg

... and includes the Karingana lookout.

fDU4IpP.jpg

IqapyM5.jpg

The parking lot is south of Kata Tjuta.

XYaBvoY.jpg

It just looks fascinating.

VcIihbE.jpg

BZ0NdxW.jpg

As does the second rock formation nearby. In the foregound you can see the "sunset parking" bays for buses (left) and cars (right).

1p3mG4o.jpg

This is the loneliness in the desert at sunset.

eq2CcnM.jpg

We wave goodbye...

fUQUl5X.jpg

... and leave the Uluru Kata Tjuta NP at the gate; you can see it in the bottom left here.

S7pKqHV.jpg

To be continued...

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

4 hours ago, timmo32 said:

LOvely set of shots !

My pleasure, Timmo.

3 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Thanks for the tour Gerold, enjoyed the screenies and real photos!!!!!!!!

You can not imagine how I enjoyed making them!

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great mix of an amazing wonder Gerold.

A wonder, indeed, Jack. Not easy for us oversea people to get there, unfortunately...

4 hours ago, boetie said:

Great set Gerold. Perfect timing, my wife and I just booked a holiday to go to Uluru etc in late May. Can’t wait!
Cheers

Graeme :)

You lucky guys, Graeme! Don´t know how complete your booking already is, but I can recommend https://www.wayoutback.com.au/ : They offer great guides, accomodation, transport and a good touch of Outback feeling.

3 minutes ago, wain71 said:

great shots there Gerold, love the Helipad...

Thank you Wayne. The photo covers the entire "airport". It would be great to have this helipad included in the next YAYE scenery - or in a revival of OZx...

22 hours ago, adambar said:

Great mixture of R/FS shots, nice work Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

19 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Lovely shots, great 'plane and paint!  I found the Olgas and other rocky outcrops in the area much more interesting than the Rock itself when I visited there (last in 1985).

That´s a long time ago, TT. Touristic infrastructure has built up a lot since then (you have seen the bunch of people above). But the rocks remain, luckily.

16 hours ago, captainbluesky said:

Really nice shots Gerold.  Reminds me of my trip to Uluru in June 2019.  Such an amazing place to visit especially at sunrise and sunset.

Thank you for your comment, mate. We were there 3 months later than you, and indeed there is a spirit...

Archived